what’s mediterranean for huevos rancheros?

August 1st, 2008 · 29 Comments

another egg.  and it could happen again.  eggs are reason #1 as to why i could never ever consider being vegan.  of course i have countless reasons, but let’s call this the first.  and mozzarella and ricotta and parmigiano could be 2, 3 and 4.  root beer floats are 5.  and well, that’s enough for now.  oh and really good cake, as in BUTTER.  ok, so maybe that’s #2.

the other morning i had been reading somewhere about huevos rancheros.  i’m not sure how that managed to spark this dish, but it did.  i used pita instead of tortillas, and i didn’t feel like running to the store for feta or goat cheese… i just used what i had.  which as you all know, is a very good thing to do.

the lentils had been in my freezer since the early spring porkbelly chronicles .  these were the wonderful puy lentils from france and they’d already been cooked with salt and onions – nothing more.  when they defrosted i hit them with fresh orange zest, cayenne, pimenton and a ton of minced garlic, parsley and chives.  then i put it on the stove to just warm through.

i had an interesting cucumber – big and tan in color and sweet and crunchy.  it had been picked up from the farmers market last weekend.  no idea what exactly it was except to say that it was damn good.  so that sliced with grape tomatoes, roasted red pepper and radish – drizzled with a very good olive oil and my favorite guerande salt.

dinner…

Tags: beans · eggs

• 1 Mary Coleman // Aug 1, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Groom is on the way over. Leave the back door open.

• 2 NOBLE PIG // Aug 1, 2008 at 11:26 pm

This looks so simple, yet amazing…especially the egg.

• 3 MangerLaVille // Aug 2, 2008 at 1:15 am

MMMM… this looks very yummy. I think I might substitute the pita for a piece of grilled pain de mie, from acme in SF.
    I love the idea of the lentils as a substitute for refried or black beans in the traditional huevos rancheros.

• 4 Brittany // Aug 2, 2008 at 1:26 am

Hells yeas- that sounds awesome. Love the lentil sub for beans…..less farty. Must try that for the husband.

Where is pork in your list of reasons to never be vegan?

• 5 _ts of [eatingclub] vancouver // Aug 2, 2008 at 1:30 am

Eggs with runny yolks are the bestest. The simplest and most satisfying “meal” when there’s nothing else in the house.

• 6 canarygirl // Aug 2, 2008 at 4:15 am

Lentils and eggs together? I may have just fallen in love with you. Going to make this over toasted baguette slices ever so slightly brushed with butter and garlic. ps…your raviolio has invaded my thoughts every moment of every day.

• 7 democommie // Aug 2, 2008 at 6:03 am

I just went to have my cereal and–no milk! But I got plenty of eggs, some black beans and, well, thanks!

• 8 cookiecrumb // Aug 2, 2008 at 10:20 am

I would call it Corsican Egg.
    “Oeuf Corse,” of course.

• 9 TaratheFoodie // Aug 2, 2008 at 2:35 pm

We must be related… I could eat a fried egg on anything. This dish looks like a great during-the-week dinner that’s not only healthy, but filling with the lentils, pita, and egg. This would be good for me when Mark’s out of town. Yum!!!

• 10 Laura @ Hungry and Frozen // Aug 2, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Your reasons for not being a vegan run similar to mine. I love Huevos Rancheros, and I love what you’ve done with this – adding lentils is genius :)

• 11 melissa // Aug 2, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Good creative satisfying meal. Awesome.

And damn, no way could I be vegan either!

• 12 Traci @ Soup of The Day // Aug 3, 2008 at 2:01 am

Funny, when I first saw that picture I thought the egg was sitting on capers! Now, I love capers more than anyone, but that would be way too many capers.

Lentils however are DIVINE! And would go much better with eggs than capers :)

It’s late, I’m tired.

• 13 Lesley // Aug 3, 2008 at 8:21 am

Push that egg aside and you’ve got a good little dish there. :)

I need to investigate lentils more…a friend at work who’s Indian says her mother has countless jars of lentils. My friend only knows what two of them are. I’d love to see her mother’s kitchen…

• 14 Lauren // Aug 3, 2008 at 9:11 am

That looks great. Very fresh and light and tasty!

• 15 Heather // Aug 3, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Ooh, that guerande salt. I’m intrigued. I will find some and then I will have five salts.

The lentils are nice and all, but isn’t this really about the oeufs?

• 16 democommie // Aug 3, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Heather:

I haz five salts: Morton’s, Diamond, Garlic, bath and Epsom!

• 17 Donald // Aug 4, 2008 at 6:36 am

Where do you come up with this stuff!!!

Damn!

• 18 jim voorhies // Aug 4, 2008 at 8:13 am

huevos rancheros is more typically seen as a runny egg, like in your pasta, but this still looks great.

democommie, you need celery salt and onion salt, too. One of these days I’ll have to try one of those fancier salts but presently Mortons is upscale for me. :)

• 19 Kevin // Aug 4, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Now that’s a breakfast!

• 20 Brooke // Aug 4, 2008 at 1:54 pm

I’m usually not an egg person, beyond breakfast, where they are a MUST, but this looks damn tasty. I love the lentils and pita. Brilliant!

• 21 Kim // Aug 4, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Aren’t you on an egg kick of late. Two interesting dishes. Jealous about those lentils, though.

• 22 democommie // Aug 5, 2008 at 6:33 am

I just had a couple of perfectly poached eggs, with a few (four is still a few, right?) strips of bacon and some toast.

I’m currently reading “The Perfectionist–Life and Death in Haute Cuisine” by Rudolph Chelminski. It is a book about the life and untimely death of Bernard Loiseau against the backdrop of the french, their food and their fanaticism about french food.

In the first chapter he talks about a number of french chefs who were mentors to (or mentors to the mentors of) Monsieur Loiseau. One of them, Fernand Point of Le Pyramide, would ask a prospective employee (one who aspired to start above the rank of “plongeur”) to fry an egg. His description of Point’s technique and the refinements by other chefs in later years is worth the price of the book.

• 23 maybelles mom (feeding maybelle) // Aug 5, 2008 at 9:27 am

Oh, delish. I hear you (and second you) about veganism…as an indian, butter and milk are the basis of our cuisine…and, I didn’t make it long when I tried. Buttter was the sticking point.

And, this looks delicious. I will look for lemon cucumbers when I am at the market.

• 24 Lorelia Jones // Aug 5, 2008 at 4:53 pm

My goodness I love the food on this blog! It’s nothing I would have thought of and yet I am dying to try this! I eat a lot of lentils as I know they are very high in protein and fiber. This is another wonderful way to incorparate them into my home meals.

Thank you again, Claudia!

• 25 J for Kitchen Confit // Aug 5, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Claudia!! This looks delicious. I can’t wait to try it. I agree with you on butter, though it might be #1 for me. :)

• 26 Bren@Flanboyant Eats // Aug 5, 2008 at 10:44 pm

you’ve just hit such a soft spot in my belly and heart. i love huevos rancheros. i never ever order them when i eat out! but!!! next weekend i’ll be in Mexico so i’ll make sure to order them every day for b-fast!! would u like some teleported!

• 27 Vincent // Aug 6, 2008 at 1:15 am

pedro says jummy mang – so do i

• 28 Rebecca (foodie With Family) // Aug 12, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Oh, that looks GOOD. …And mighty clever use of leftovers. Would you consider submitting this to our Second Tuesdays Deja Food event over at Foodie With Family?

• 29 Mari // Aug 13, 2008 at 10:20 am

I personally love eggs and pulses, and have eaten plenty of soft runny eggs over Puy lentils…yum.