quite the belly…

March 25th, 2008 · 1,737 Comments

pb1.JPG

i know… i’ve been going on and on about this slab-o-pork for awhile now, haven’t i? but really, it all began just 2 weeks ago. well, that was the day the pork belly arrived. but by the time it landed at my door i had already spent some time deciding on how i would go about handling this pristine 8 lb. belly, and the bottom line was that i weighed some varying options and chose to go down the dan barber – of famed ‘blue hill/blue hill at stone barns restaurants – path and use his cure recipe.

pb2.JPG

(for scale…) and here’s the deal. well, my deal anyway. if i am overnighting a pork belly all the way to nashville, tn from ‘niman ranchland‘ – i’m going to be using the best ingredients that i can get my hands on. so i ordered my spices from ‘penzeys‘ and got grinding. i’m including a recipe – of sorts, but there can be so very many variables, like the size of your belly (hehe) or your particular level of neurosis when it comes to following directions – or not, therefore bringing in to play any and all opinionated, albeit highly creative input you might have. but the good news is that through all of this i have now found out first hand that it is pretty much impossible to actually destroy a pork belly. and that this cure mix is so damn right – and then there’s all that fat which as it turns out is pretty forgiving – that is, on everything except perhaps your very own belly… anyway, use this as a guideline, check out amy’s recent post on her experience with ‘The Belly’ – and then if you’re so inclined, and i believe you are – get intuitive. but i’m telling you – this ‘dan barber pork belly cure mix’ – i can vouch that it is absolutely spot-on…

pb3.JPG

dan barber’s pork belly (as told by me)
heavily
adapted from a 2005 epicurious recipe

(to grind – use your whirly bird coffee grinder and when you’re finished just add some white rice and run it for 30 seconds or so and it will clean it completely – otherwise you’ll need to get out the mortar and pestle and have at it)

1/4 cup fennel seed
1/4 cup cumin seed
1/4 cup plus 2 T coriander seed
3 T black peppercorns
1 T white peppercorns
4 star anise
4 pieces of cinnamon
4 teaspoons whole clove
1 cup salt
2/3 cup sugar

grind the spices in a coffee grinder in batches. combine ground spices with the salt and sugar. heavily coat the belly, cover with foil and let it sit in the refrigerator, undisturbed for 3 days. on the third day rinse the belly well, dry it thoroughly and wrap tightly in plastic, placing it back into the refrigerator. the meat will hold for a few days at the very least now that it’s been cured. you’ll need a baking pan that will fit the belly comfortably but without too much extra room. place it in the pan skin up add about 2 quarts of rich chicken stock (i used a mix of my stock and water) so that it comes about 3/4 of the way up the meat braise at 200F for 8 – 10 hours (as in overnight) remove from the oven, draining the braising liquid into another pot and let the belly rest in the refrigerator for at least a day to allow for the flavors to really develop. put the liquid into the freezer for about 90 minutes so that the fat comes to the surface and solidifies without freezing the rest of the liquid break off the fat (i saved mine in a freezer bag for future sausage making) and reserve about 3 cups. then a few hours before your dinner, place the meat along with the ‘caramel vinegar sauce’ (recipe below) into the oven for roughly an hour right before you serve – lightly score the skin (i overdid it and went too deep – live and learn), cut into serving pieces and sear skin-side down in a hot pan. to serve, spoon the caramel vinegar sauce over the meat and lentils.

pb4.JPG

(it’s difficult to see the depth of the fat here but it’s quite a big pot and the fat is at about 1/3" at center and at least 1/2" on the edges)

i decided early on that i’d be serving this over ‘lentils de puy‘ a much loved variety, grown in the volcanic soil of the auvergne region of southern france. why? because they are some esoteric little suckers, and well – i obviously get off on that. but, even after all the thought and consideration as to my plan of attack – right in the eleventh hour, i decided that i needed to make a sauce. and i found my inspiration from this recipe and then kinda riffed off of that.

caramel vinegar sauce

1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup sherry vinegar
1 cup light brown sugar
4 star anise
1 cinnamon stick – broken
juice of 2 oranges and their zest
2 cups of the reserved defatted braising liquid
veal demi-glace – i used a 1.5 ounce pre-made package

put the sugar, vinegar, star anise and cinnamon in a small saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, or until syrupy. stir in the braising liquid and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until slightly reduced. add the orange juice, zest and the demi glace and reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until once again syrupy. salt to taste

dear readers, it was really good. like really really good. and i was pretty damn pleased with myself. pork belly has totally got the double whammy of culinary "u" words goin on. umami and unctuous. this dish was part of a wonderful dinner that was held at my best friend angela‘s home. in attendance were 2 of nashville’s most talented chefs, john david crowe of ‘360 bistro‘ and laura wilson from ‘ombi restaurant‘, as well as the incredibly cool carrington fox – food critic for the ‘nashville scene‘. oh – and then a few of us foodie plebeians. there were many wonderful dishes served as in the sweetbreads and mache fennel salad with blood orange – brought over by john and prepared on the premises, and a caramel chestnut torte from laura, along with her amazing fennel and anise meringues that i could not stop eating. but regarding the final plated pic – there’s a blaring lack of the desired ‘money shot’ that would do the belly justice, especially after all we’d been through together. but please note that by the time this dish rolled around, we’d been feasting and drinking quite nicely. cary whipped out his ‘point and shoot’ and luckily saved the day – or the moment would have been consumed as quickly as the fast disappearing pork on our plates. please know that we tried, but these shots are off the cuff and are just from around the table. so instead of quality photography, i will just have to plow you with quantity…

plated1.JPG

(a few bites in…)

plated-3.JPG

plated-2.JPG

plated-4.JPG

plated-5.JPG

for our gathering i also made two other dishes that i’ll tell you about later.

but (you ask) – was there any more pork involved?

but (i say) – of course…

Tags: pork

1,737 responses so far ↓

• 1 http://jummum-nyc.com/car-insurance-online-help.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Opruimen; fijn klusje 😉 Leuk hoor de voorbereidingen van een eigen moestuintje. Ik had vorig jaar zoveel tomaatjes, dat ik er geregeld een pannetje (tomaten)soep van heb gekookt. Succes en eet smakelijk van je broodje; ziet er heerlijk uit…Fijne dag,Miranda

• 2 the guard insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Right on. Fenton appeared to actually know what he was talking about and seemed to have some genuine interest. That morning show now is a unmitigated disaster – absolutely unlistenable. I wonder what the arrangement is between the Times and DAE for that show. Any of the fill-ins since they booted Sileo would have been better.

• 3 average car insurance rate in maryland // Sep 23, 2016 at 5:24 pm

– FormaGenix Mixing and Injection Kit I so appreciate someone providing this package deal of everything you need to get started on the hcg diet. If you buy this product it can still be tricky to figure out just how to mix your hcg, I would suggest watching some of the instructional videos on YouTube. It made so much more sense when trying to figure out how to do it all. Thanks for providing this easy component to the hcg diet. It is such an involved diet that it is nice to have one part of it be a no-brainer! My product arrived quickly and everything was sealed and high quality.

• 4 one stop insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 5:33 pm

thank u guys for the comments. yeah i guess their standard has dropped eh? since most of you also said that now the satay is served cold i will check out the one in uptown to see if it is better

• 5 http://adoradoslegacy.com/top-100-insurance-brokers.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Super jazzed about getting that know-how.

• 6 http://jummum-nyc.com/cheap-car-insurance-melbourne-australia.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 7:46 pm

grattis till awarderna! sÃ¥ roligt för dig! (Monika pÃ¥ Splendid Willow har blivit en god bloggvän.)och tack för att du tänkte pÃ¥ mig…jag lägger en länk till dig, hoppas det är ok!ha en fin kväll!

• 7 http://destinedfg.com/office-of-insurance.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 10:50 pm

That’s an inventive answer to an interesting question

• 8 lv car insurance make a claim // Sep 23, 2016 at 10:51 pm

dit :I do not know if it’s just me or if everybody else encountering problems with your site. It looks like some of the text in your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This may be a issue with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously. Cheers

• 9 cheap car insurance as a named driver // Sep 23, 2016 at 11:50 pm

então, como eu faço para desbloquear o meu sansung gts3350 ? toda vez que eu quero colocar senhas nas mensagens e nos arquivos, ai pedem uma senha, e colo e da senha incorreta, como eu faço para desbloquear ?

• 10 http://nacmm.info/new-car-with-free-insurance-for-young-drivers.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 1:19 am

it is satan lord of the air getting ready for the big battle when jesus will return with an army of space ships tget rid of the dark forces that are controlling us once and for all the governments of the world are working with satan because they do not want to lose there control and power over us when jesus come to defeat the the human and satanic forces do not help your governments in any way go and find a safe place to hide until the lord is finished mopping up.Goodluck!.

• 11 abc rv // Sep 24, 2016 at 2:11 am

Mandy…I'm tellin' ya Girl…your recipes always make me want to jump out of this chair and head for the kitchen. These sound soooo tasty! Thanks a million for linking up at Weekend Potluck. Looking forward to seeing more of your recipes there.

• 12 multi car insurance for business // Sep 24, 2016 at 2:58 am

Reading the comments from August, I felt like I was at a convention of high functioning autistic people with ADD. All I saw was a series of non-sequiturs with an oddly placed “attaboy” from Dave.

• 13 http://destinedfg.com/auto-insurance-great-falls-mt.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 3:33 am

Superb information here, ol’e chap; keep burning the midnight oil.

• 14 http://nacmm.info/how-does-car-insurance-work-in-an-accident.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:28 am

Cindy,Isn’t that what people keep asking us to do — resume spending? It is an absurd notion that spending is rhe key to growth. In the short term, it may be good for corporate entities. In the long run, it is the road to poverty.

• 15 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/how-do-you-get-cheap-car-insurance.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:43 am

I’m grateful you made the post. It’s cleared the air for me.

• 16 car insurance quotes // Sep 24, 2016 at 6:06 am

Ibope melhor é a de Serra no nordeste.Dilma uma eterna desconhecida depois do governo federal despejar milhões de reais para fazer dela uma candidata viavel!!Ibope bom vai ser o de 3 de outubro!O das urnas onde o Zé Serra vai levar no primeiro turno!

• 17 insurance lapse // Sep 24, 2016 at 7:46 am

lili Roque disse:Pessoal estou muito feliz com as fotos e sei que esta experiência é algo que jamais vocês conseguirão passar para alguém, porque ela é única e de vocês. Jesus abençõe a cada um de vocês!Cesar e Gustavo para vocês, benção em dobro. OKLêle, “minha alegria”, estou com saudade e te amo muitoooooooo!

• 18 independent insurance agents of texas // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:09 am

I am right there with you! It makes me sad if one of my children ever say “you love so and so more than me.” OK, well, usually that’s just one of my kids that say that 😉 We just have to keep trying our best and give ourselves plenty of grace. You are an awesome mom, Chrissie!

• 19 http://destinedfg.com/cheap-auto-insurance-lynchburg-va.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:38 am

Angie…I have to do this again. Love the crusty roll. I have to make the starter first 🙂 how nice to have this hot crusty roll with a cup of hot coffee right now. It has been pouring heavily and looking at your rolls makes me hungry…No lunch today :p had a heavy breakfast of noodles :phave a nice day,Elin

• 20 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/car-insurance-for-bmw.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:50 am

Hi there! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

• 21 swinton car insurance birmingham // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:54 am

You have the monopoly on useful information-aren’t monopolies illegal? 😉

• 22 http://adoradoslegacy.com/buying-dirt.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:03 am

Thanks for taking the time to post. It’s lifted the level of debate

• 23 car insurance rates okc // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:31 am

That’s a smart way of looking at the world.

• 24 progressive auto insurance towing service // Sep 24, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Call me wind because I am absolutely blown away.

• 25 car insurance rates new mexico // Sep 24, 2016 at 2:23 pm

I think if you really look into it, the woman he’s always trying toget back to is Suze. If you read her memoir, I think it reveals that alot of the lyrics in those early songs are about the one that got away.The one that chose not to play for fame and fortune.J

• 26 http://adoradoslegacy.com/car-insurance-ohio-state-minimum.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Buna. Doresc sa particip si eu la concurs. Am fost la Paris, doar o zi si m-ai indrogostit de acest oras. Mi-as dori sa revad catedrala Notre Dame, si sa vad muzeul Louvre.Nu am cont pe facebook, m-am abonat la e-mail

• 27 http://destinedfg.com/car-insurance-aaa.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 5:04 pm

I do like the way you have framed this specific matter and it really does provide me personally a lot of fodder for consideration. Nonetheless, through what I have witnessed, I just simply wish as other remarks pile on that individuals stay on issue and in no way embark upon a soap box involving the news of the day. Still, thank you for this outstanding piece and even though I do not necessarily concur with it in totality, I regard the standpoint.

• 28 quotes about puerto rico // Sep 24, 2016 at 5:13 pm

trường mình có chuyên ngành khoa học máy tính không nhỉ !tiện thể cho e hỏi là trong chuyên ngành khoa học máy tính còn chia ra bao nhiêu ngành nữa a?e đọc sơ sơ thì thấy khoa học máy tính là học về phần lập trình phần mềm đúng ko a !

• 29 http://nacmm.info/nj-car-insurance-points.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 7:22 pm

justsandydid you notice if your skin broke out when using mac products? I have moderate acne and I notice that sometimes I breakout from MAC products. Or maybe, it’s just all sort of environmental factors (school, pms, stress).. lol

• 30 http://destinedfg.com/carite-redford-mi.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:04 pm

| July 3rd, 2009 971489 815883The next time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as significantly as this 1. I mean, I do know it was my choice to read, nonetheless I truly thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear can be a bunch of whining about something which you could fix for those that werent too busy in search of attention. 988268

• 31 low income auto insurance dmv Sanford FL // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:56 pm

I have exactly what info I want. Check, please. Wait, it’s free? Awesome!

• 32 free auto insurance quotes New York City NY // Sep 25, 2016 at 1:25 am

Affiliate Marketing is a performance based sales technique used by companies to expand their reach into the internet at low costs. This commission based program allows affiliate marketers to place ads on their websites or other advertising efforts such as email distribution in exchange for payment of a small commission when a sale results. http://www.onlineuniversalwork.com

• 33 affordable car insurance Mandeville LA // Sep 25, 2016 at 1:55 am

You’re the one with the brains here. I’m watching for your posts.

• 34 car insurance MO // Sep 25, 2016 at 2:10 am

You have know idea what you just said, do you? In the scientific community when someone brings forth a theory, that person MUST have some evidence to support it, otherwise your theory is COMPLETELY useless and without foundation. Don’t forget that most people who believe in a god need to follow a “holy” book, like the bible or quran, however science and basic logic have disproved many statements made in these books. So that hurts those followers argument that their god and book are the “right one”.

• 35 affordable car insurance Clementon NJ // Sep 25, 2016 at 3:21 am

>> I am convinced that the Israel is slowly acquiring a crowd psychosis stage where preventing deliberate and large scale deaths of Arabs will be impossible.Should that point be reached, the “humanist” Zio-supremacists will “hold their noses” while their hardier co-collectivists undertake the the “necessary” (or “required” evil) dirty work.To paraphrase:

• 36 car insurance Meriden CT // Sep 25, 2016 at 3:52 am

tem certesa (quando entra em site tecnicamente ou ate o desing fraco as pessoas sai rapidamente), eu mesmo estou desenvolvendo meu blog e tento pegar o massimo de informações da “RBTECH” e outros sites tipo “UP e MX” vou em busca de V.A artigos e outras coisas…

• 37 cheapest auto insurance in El Segundo CA // Sep 25, 2016 at 5:11 am

Right on-this helped me sort things right out.

• 38 cheap car insurance // Sep 25, 2016 at 6:07 am

Ya, That’s a good idea to remove supplimental Result Tag. At the end of the Day Google will Show Only best Relevant results so if you want be on the top. Work on the pages & Not Tricks. It does not Matter at all to Tag it as supplemental for users.

• 39 free car insurance quotes Woodbridge VA // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:20 am

That’s the perfect insight in a thread like this.

• 40 auto insurance rates Davenport FL // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:12 am

“”C’entra è sempre la stessa storia chi controlla vuole controllare i controllati, e per farlo usa qualsiasi metodo. E poi ci sono le prove, ad esempio le foto postate da quello che voi considerate un cretinmo””lasciamo fuori la politica italiana, per caritàgrazie!

• 41 car insurance quotes Valdosta GA // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:47 am

Just do me a favor and keep writing such trenchant analyses, OK?

• 42 no down payment car insurance in Olathe KS // Sep 25, 2016 at 12:21 pm

This FrameworkOrdinarily this person will be one who loves conversation plus meeting new individuals.Another freeware brain map computer software permits a computer owner that will sketch vibrant strategy roadmaps plus mind road directions by using excellent visualization or have automatic topics’ system efficiency.

• 43 cheap car insurance quotes Baytown TX // Sep 25, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Hi guys , Amanda is on tonight if anyone doesn’t know , she has just been on BSXtra and is looking mighty fine , also Lilly Roma has signed for BS and so has Lucy Zara and Sammie Pennington all ex Bangbabe girls . DAVE A

• 44 full coverage auto insurance Santa Clara CA // Sep 25, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I really like this tealtmpe.I have a question about the menu though.How do I get it setup to look like the one in the preview image?My menu items is simply a bulleted list of my pages without the fancy orange background and centered text.Any help appreciated!Thx

• 45 car insurance with no license in Redlands CA // Sep 25, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Nikolaj og Morten: Tak og velbekommeJacob: Den gemmer screenshot’et i en periode. Ved dog ikke hvor længe, men jeg synes det er rimelig opdateret deres screenshots.

• 46 payless auto insurance Santa Maria CA // Sep 25, 2016 at 6:22 pm

to sean “This is why people like me have a hard time going to church, associate with christians, or even tell others they are christian (which I refuse to consider myself anymore.) ” live on troubled person…

• 47 auto insurance rates Peoria IL // Sep 25, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Articles like this really grease the shafts of knowledge.