the remarkable bundt pan

August 7th, 2008 · 47 Comments

it had been my birthday, and i have this friend phil who is a wonderful and thoughtful gift giver.  phil had seen a newfangled silicone bundt pan in the ‘ny times style magazine’ a few months back, and lucky for me, he ripped out the page – which he then thoughtfully tucked into the box.

the concept is quite simple, that the slices are pre-defined into 4 sizes – which in turn creates an architectural looking cake.  a thing of total beauty that incorporates both form AND function.  dear readers, let me explain… this to me is huge.  this rings my chimes and floats my boat and just generally makes me very happy.  because i so appreciate the brilliance.  i mean people… don’t you love this?  because i love this.  those damn germans can design the hell out of anything…

so on my first go around, which fell on a hot summer’s day, i made a classic blueberry lemon cake, because why wouldn’t i?

blueberry lemon cake

2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
4 eggs
the zest of 3 lemons

2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup milk

preheat oven to 350F

butter a bundt pan and then dust with flour, shaking out excess

mix 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  set aside.
in another bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
beat in eggs one at a time, then add lemon zest
as you stir, add half the flour mixture, then milk, then remaining flour mixture
toss blueberries in remaining 1/4 cup flour
(dredging fruit keeps it suspended in cake batter and prevents it from sinking during baking)
fold blueberries into batter and pour into bundt pan
bake for about 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes, and turn onto a wire rack

dust with powdered sugar when cool

it’s a truly wonderful cake that i think you should all make this weekend, ok?  just do it.  go on.  you will be so glad that you did.  honestly, it’s not too sweet or too heavy – it’s just a simple summer cake of fresh local blueberries brightened by the lemon zest, and well, it was just right.  i served it with some ‘boulder sweet cream’ ice cream that i picked up at whole foods.  it’s a ‘no flavor’ flavor that tastes like the very best frozen whipped cream – except it’s in ice cream form and well, i didn’t want even vanilla messing with my cake.  so i was overly excited to see it sitting there in the freezer case.  my eyes actually lit up when i saw it – but i’m excitable like that.

and yes of course, i’m sure any bundt pan will do.

but not for me…

and now dear readers, a few bundt facts just for you
(because
wikipedia exists and therefore i can…)

A Bundt cake is the name used for a dessert cake cooked in a Bundt pan, whose identifying attribute is its ringed shape. The Bundt pan (a registered trademark) was created in 1950 by H. David Dalquist, founder of Nordic Ware, at the request of members of the Hadassah Society’s chapter in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They were interested in a pan that could be used to make bundkuchen (sometimes called kugelhopf or Gugelhupf), a popular German and Austrian coffee cake. The old-world pans, with fluted and grooved sides, made of delicate ceramic or heavy cast iron, were difficult to use. He modified some existing Scandinavian pan designs and fashioned the pan out of aluminum.

The pan sold somewhat slowly until a Pillsbury-sponsored baking contest in 1966 saw a Bundt cake win second place. This prompted a scramble for the pans, causing them to become the most-sold pan in the United States soon after. Since introduction, more than 50 million Bundt pans have been sold by the Nordic Ware company.

Pillsbury licensed the name in 1970 for a line of cake mixes.

In early 2007 some of the original Bundt pans were taken into the Smithsonian Institute’s collection.

National Bundt Pan day is November 15.

Tags: baking

• 1 RecipeGirl // Aug 7, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Well, first of all… a very happy birthday. And personally I think it’s great that you make whatever the heck you want for your birthday. Whether it’s fettuccine alfredo with creme brulee for dessert or whatever floats your boat. Glad you found something that floated your boat :)

The blueberry lemon cake sounds like it was a delightful choice for sure!

• 2 Robert // Aug 7, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Pretty. Sounds good too. Id like that really big 4 oz slice please…………..

• 3 Diana // Aug 7, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Go Claudia the baker! Yum, I’ll take a slim slice like a lady, then have seconds and thirds.

• 4 democommie // Aug 7, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Robert:

“really big 4 oz slice please…………..” ? That whole cake is a single serving.

Is that pan aluminum or silicone? I can smell the cake from here.

• 5 Brittany // Aug 7, 2008 at 9:55 pm

YOU BAKED!!!

I have to have that pan. I love it when they take something that is already awesome to begin with and pimp it out to new heghts of awesomeness.

• 6 arundathi // Aug 7, 2008 at 10:58 pm

what a brilliant pan! and Happy Birthday! I’ll try the cake on the weekend fer sher! :)

• 7 Donald // Aug 8, 2008 at 3:40 am

Hot day? Bake a cake? Why the hell not! :-)

You gotta love the bundt pan. It is really great to cut corn off the cob. Stick the ear into the middle for stability and slice away turning the cob.

I dunno about the German design though. I do doubt, however, that your pan will have the same maintenance bills my BMW did.

• 8 Kitt // Aug 8, 2008 at 3:43 am

Happy birthday! That’s a pretty nifty pan, and an even nicer cake.

• 9 claudia // Aug 8, 2008 at 6:06 am

hi everyone, it HAD BEEN my birthday – as in 5 weeks ago…

but thanks again for the well wishes!

• 10 Robert // Aug 8, 2008 at 6:40 am

You deserve another, hell have two extra………

• 11 Lucy // Aug 8, 2008 at 7:05 am

dear claudia,
    would love to make beautiful tasty cake of blueberries and lemon. however I currently have no bundt pan. and if i did, am positive it would be lost in a box squished into my new kitchen between the bread maker, the dishes, and the crockpot. but i’m glad you had a beautiful tasty cake for your birthday. yes indeed.

• 12 Julie // Aug 8, 2008 at 7:12 am

Well happy belated birthday wishes then! Absolutely cool pan, and lemon and blueberry is such a great combination for a cake. And there’s actually a National Bundt Cake day? Who knew!

• 13 jim voorhies // Aug 8, 2008 at 8:32 am

I was given one of those floppy type silicone pans and I was never really sure about how I felt about a rubbery pan but this one looks great! I have to get one of those.

I’m making a note to start tagging any baking posts I do as “things even Claudia can bake” from here on out.

And birthday or not, you dont look a day older than you did when we first met almost five months ago. ;)

• 14 jim voorhies // Aug 8, 2008 at 8:37 am

oh, you probably know this (and may think it adds excessive sweetness to the cake) but you can also use sugar to dust the pan.

• 15 CeeElCee // Aug 8, 2008 at 8:45 am

Claudia making a bundt cake?! What’s next? Jello molds?

I dig it.

• 16 Chris // Aug 8, 2008 at 8:47 am

Way cool pan…
    No flavor ice cream gives me sooo many ideas…

• 17 E for KC // Aug 8, 2008 at 8:51 am

I must find one of these cake pans! It’s brilliant and the cake is beautiful.
    Very happy belated birthday!

• 18 Lesley // Aug 8, 2008 at 10:28 am

Ooh, that sounds delicious. I love blueberry and lemon together. Though the popsicles in my freezer right now are blueberry peach (another good combination, thankfully).

I could really go for some kugelhopf right now, though. Yum.

• 19 Shari // Aug 8, 2008 at 10:47 am

I love that pan and will add it to my wishlist! That dessert looks great.

• 20 cookiecrumb // Aug 8, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Your cake’s better-looking than the one in the magazine!

• 21 NOBLE PIG // Aug 8, 2008 at 1:05 pm

first, let me just say i love your no capital letter rules…i feel vindicated by it, therefore my comment will not use caps…gawd i love this!

that bundt pan…i like it…i have not seen it…and the cake…those are some of the best flavors when made together.

• 22 Lauren // Aug 8, 2008 at 1:33 pm

COOLEST PAN EVER! nuff said.

• 23 Klinde // Aug 8, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Love, love, love the pan!!! Although when I show it to my German I won’t be including your line about the Germans designing the hell out of anything because he will agree and I will get a lecture about crappy American things… Sigh….

• 24 robin // Aug 8, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Gorgeous… I’m not one to like stylized bundt pans but this one is so sophisticated… love it.

• 25 Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer // Aug 8, 2008 at 5:27 pm

That is really a cool pan – and wow I love your combination of lemons and blueberry – that is the first time I have heard of that one and it sounds so yummy!!

• 26 Ethel // Aug 8, 2008 at 5:37 pm

all right already. I’ll make it, but first have to buy the bundt pan. It does sound just wonderful and I’m tasting it already. My kind of summer cake.
    Please be my personal chef … pretty please.

• 27 [eatingclub] vancouver || js // Aug 8, 2008 at 11:52 pm

That bundt pan is way too cool. You have the coolest stuff. And I love lemon blueberry cake — yeah, that one. I’ll probably demure and be all skinny woman and ask for the littlest piece of all. But then, I’ll gobble that piece and then ask for the bigger piece. Yummy.

• 28 Seattle Tall Poppy // Aug 9, 2008 at 6:17 am

Your cake looks better than the one in the magazine! Lovely….

• 29 Sandy // Aug 9, 2008 at 6:41 am

What a cool pan, and what a cool friend. The cake is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

• 30 Clumbsy Cookie // Aug 9, 2008 at 9:07 am

I want that pan! Never saw one before, how cute!

• 31 cakebrain // Aug 9, 2008 at 9:11 am

I just love this pan! Yah, German engineering…once you’ve experienced it, it’s hard to go back. I have 4 German cars in our garage.

• 32 brilynn // Aug 9, 2008 at 9:47 am

That really is a great cake pan… not that I need another one, but I want this one!

• 33 My Sweet & Saucy // Aug 9, 2008 at 10:26 am

Love this pan! What a great find!

• 34 chefectomy // Aug 9, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Very cool and happy birthday. I was in the Ferry Building in SF today at Miette and saw a delectable Chocolate Creme Fraiche Bundt Cake for sale. I thought “who does bundt cakes these days”? to myself. Guess I am on the late show. Love your recipe.

• 35 Lorelia Jones // Aug 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm

I’m on the hunt for that pan. It’s the perfect dinner party cake pan! All the women will want the little pieces. HAHA.

Love your BLOG!!!

• 36 Heather // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:30 pm

The thing I really like about this pan (among others) is the staggered slice sizes on the guidelines. Very clever.

Also, Happy Birthday, Claudia!

• 37 democommie // Aug 10, 2008 at 9:22 am

While this may be the foodie equivalent of whistling “YMCA” in a crowded elevator (something I used to do when I worked for Verizoscum) do you ever think about non-dessert bundt recipes? I’m thinking that architectural look might be neat for a fritatta or other sort of savory dish–not to mention lime jello mold!

• 38 joycooks // Aug 10, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Oh, Claudia, I just love your bundt! And that pan is totally cool, spoken like a true baker. I’ve never seen anything like it! How funny that at work lately I’ve been making a very similar “blueberry yogurt bundt cake” that has yogurt and o.j. in the batter and come out very moist like a pound cake. Delicious. And, I’ve done a ‘bundt study’ with my chef and learned that if you want a nice pound cake consistency that is perfect here, it’s all in the mixing… and lots of it, before and between each and ever egg. Patience I never knew I had! xo

• 39 Steve2inLA // Aug 10, 2008 at 11:13 pm

The URl is on the picture of the pan at the top. You can get the cake pan here: http://charlesandmarie.com/lifestyle-gems/bestselling-lifestyle-gems/product/s-xl-cake-mold-1/?tx_ttproducts_pi1%5BbackPID%5D=321

• 40 lifeinrecipes // Aug 11, 2008 at 7:43 am

Thanks for bringing notice to this great concept of a pan. And lemon-blueberry is always a winning combo for me.

• 41 Mari // Aug 13, 2008 at 10:22 am

That pan is great and I love the fact sheet at the end of your post. I’ve marked Nt’l Bundt Pan Day in my calendar…look out!

• 42 fluffernutter // Aug 15, 2008 at 12:00 pm

It is a darn good idea, and I love the big pieces&small pieces division in the pan. But it loses the beautiful curve of a traditional pan. I’m so lazy that I count on a bundt cake to look good all by itself right out of the pan.

• 43 ~moe~ // Aug 17, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Found you via tastespotting. I have this pan and I love it! I’m so not a cake fan but I made an angel food cake in it and it worked pretty well. I love that it sections out the pieces. So fun!

• 44 peabody // Aug 17, 2008 at 11:22 pm

That is one cool pan!

• 45 lydia saucepan // Aug 19, 2008 at 12:27 pm

wowsers! I love the focus and the uneven slices in that first photo so much it makes me feel a little bit woozy. beautiful

btw – i made your veal involtini recipe the other day for a dinner party and guests were suitably smitten with it so thank you!

• 46 Hillary // Aug 19, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Whoa cool! I want that bundt pan now. So then, when it’s made, you just cut down where the top is a different level?

• 47 saglik hizmetleri // Apr 19, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Great site. I have found some info I need. Keep up!