ceF in vietnam – part 1

October 15th, 2010 · 32 Comments

see this? i like this… i like this so much that i had 3 of them. in a row. on a cathay pacific first class flight to hong kong. on my way to vietnam.

oh. wait. have i not told you?

i just got to saigon this morning. i made a decision about a month ago that i needed to do this – and that i needed to go as soon as i could. ever since hearing bourdain go on and on about this country, i’ve felt drawn here. i’ve never had much of a desire to go to asia in the past. i’ve always been the europe girl. give me italy, spain, france (in that order)… over and over, and i am pretty damn content. but suddenly it was vietnam. i had to go and now i am here. and if you’re even the least bit surprised, well you’ve just no idea…

part display, part mise en place at the outdoor restaurant where i dined streetside.

so i’ve not been in touch for awhile (again) even after saying that i would be more diligent about posting. i mean, trust me when i tell you that there is no shortage of very fine restaurant dinners in my life and then there’s michael and me in the kitchen which is not too shabby in the least. i’ve had more than enough material to perhaps even wow you on occasion. just the night before i took off, i started dinner and then michael came home and we bounced a few ideas off each other and came up with the most remarkable dish. seared lamb over fregola with roasted and crisped kale, garlic and zest, deglazed with fresh chopped tomatoes, that was so nuanced we were giddy. cooking with that man is so much damn fun… among other things.

but listen, honestly, all those empty declarations of how i vowed to post regularly were nothing more than good intentions gone awry. and you must know that i really want to share this experience with you. because i’m here for at least 5 weeks and i’m on my own and well, you can be my traveling companion – in a way, except that you won’t be picking up any checks… which is too bad because if you were to ever take me to a fabulous dinner, saigon would be the place to do it. the food is so damn fine and it’s all on the cheap.

dinner was to be light. after being plowed with (good not great) dim sum, lobster, duck and congee and whatever else my heart seemingly desired on all the flights, i hadn’t much of an appetitie. but i wanted to go to the night markets and so off i went, into the frenetic energy that is saigon. i took it to the streets dodging the scooters and cabs with the aplomb of a local and made my way past the 5 star hotels and the likes of louis vuitton, until it got just a bit earthier. in vietnam, you don’t have to go too far for everything to get really real.

this plate of clams in a lemon grass broth cost me $1.50. and it was stunningly good…

coconut water and beer on ice.

i bought some durian and ate it sitting in a park, knowing i couldn’t bring it back to the hotel. it was incredibly good and nothing like the frozen ones i’ve tried in the states. if i may say, the follow up burps were a bit funky – but worth it.

ok, i’ve hit the wall and am literally falling asleep at my computer. it’s after 1am and tomorrow i’m shopping and then cooking lunch… i don’t think i’m jet lagged, it’s more like i’m really disoriented AND i’m a 49 year old woman. for example, i was so sure that tonight was thursday but i was informed under no uncertain terms that it is in fact friday night. which means i’ve been in the same clothes for 48 hours. no lie.

clean clothes or not, i’m here and it’s exactly where i need to be.

Tags: asian · travel

• 1 link indexing service // Jul 25, 2016 at 3:16 am

fast link indexer

• 2 Smart Balance Wheel // Jul 25, 2016 at 3:20 am

I adore the Chocolate bars Baileys <Several These people complement almost everything We get! We have obtained numerous enhances and i also like short-term Smart Balance Wheel http://www.fashionhoverboard.com more than excessive Smart Balance Wheel http://www.fashionhoverboard.com because they’re advisable to apply to. Defnitely reccomend.

• 3 仪器进口注意事项 // Jul 25, 2016 at 3:20 am

并不代表本网赞同其观点和对其真实性负责。分别是6.“要想进入青奥赛场,进行了新一届的选举表决,其二是吸引精英企业入会。Pepper就切换到了游戏模式,交巡警支队负责人表示,以技术先行带动企业发展然后放整颗花椒。企业有生有死,呈上升态势。由此看来。

• 4 Josh Harrison Pirates Jersey // Jul 25, 2016 at 4:03 am

North Korea, on the other hand, has a tough away trip to Iran, with Iran needing a win to push them up the table. They are Flexibility of the steel toed boots and its sole, its toughness and lifetime and the fabric design offered by boots. Batters continue the play by hitting what the Pitcher hurls. This is great for groups who may not know each other well. Instead of getting frustrated at the usual error message, your visitors will appreciate you apologizing to them. Your site is displayed with ads, and you have limited space to store it. They are purely indulged in for fun, merriment and get-togethers. A visitor cannot afford to miss the Rock Werchter festival held for three days in July.The problem is food distribution.However, it can continue to heat up until the physical structure melts down and forms a superdense, superheavy ball.
    Josh Harrison Pirates Jersey http://www.mlb.us.com/Pittsburgh-Pirates-Authentic-Josh-Harrison-Jersey/

• 5 Patrick Ewing Jersey // Jul 25, 2016 at 4:32 am

Have each child pack their own small backpack with the books, workbooks, and activities that they most want to bring. Coupons. Hallucinogenic drug abusers can experience ‘Flashbacks’, a spontaneous recurrence of same effects even without using the drug. As anyone who has read this column for any length of time knows, I’m cursed with daughters. Typically speaking, there areclasses pertaining to the Fb login problems.
    Patrick Ewing Jersey http://www.nbashop.us.com/New-York-Knicks_Patrick-Ewing-Jersey.html

• 6 link indexing service // Jul 25, 2016 at 5:56 am

link indexer

• 7 fitflops clearance // Jul 25, 2016 at 6:45 am

Thank you for your own efforts on this site. Kate takes pleasure in engaging in internet research and it is easy to see why. Almost all notice all relating to the lively form you present great tips and tricks via your blog and even increase response from visitors on that area of interest and our simple princess has always been discovering a whole lot. Have fun with the rest of the year. You are always performing a remarkable job.

• 8 copy bracelet cartier love // Jul 25, 2016 at 7:03 am

cartierlovejesduas banheiro deve ser para mijar e fazer toto não é área de recreação, cada genero no seu lugar
    copy bracelet cartier love http://www.stainleesteelbracelet.com/

• 9 Air Jordan Release Dates // Jul 25, 2016 at 7:32 am

Because the YouTube video lessons are posted here same like I also embed YouTube video code at my own web page 涓夊浗蹇椼€€婕㈡枃璩艰銉嗐偔銈广儓 (銇ゃ倢銇ャ倢鏃ヨ锛犳湀鍏夋ソ鍦? , for the reason that it is trouble-free to obtain embedded code.
    Air Jordan Release Dates http://www.jordanreleasedates.cc

• 10 christmas jordan shoes // Jul 25, 2016 at 8:28 am

Awesome Webpage, Carry on the excellent job. thnx! When you get the opportunity please look at my internet site which is regarding power cleaning up in Boca, FL, with thanks significantly!
    christmas jordan shoes http://www.christmasjordans2015.org

• 11 nike air yeezy nederland kopen // Jul 25, 2016 at 8:59 am

yeezy boost nederland kopen

• 12 Octavia // Jul 25, 2016 at 9:21 am

Place his head on a pillow so her hip is going in and
    giving it some pressure. Generally such self-pampering spas are related to tourists having a good Thai massage therapy is that
    people believe that all ailments occur because erotic massage of an inequity of an individual’s lifestyle, surroundings,
    habits, beliefs and energies.

Here is my site Octavia

• 13 Ksaq.org // Jul 25, 2016 at 10:08 am

It’s also known as Champissage champi is an Indian word for
    naked massage. And the family had to sell them or leave them raw like I did!
    For people who are seriously ill. When purchasing breads and cereals, check food packaging to ensure
    that you are doing this by buying up rights of E. It’s moving in the right place.

Have a look at my web blog; Ksaq.org

• 14 Cheap China Jerseys // Jul 25, 2016 at 10:14 am

com/forsale. And vice versa, never walk around a golfer who is trying to take a swing. Remember to keep your head, neck and body in a straight line. Exhale while you lift and inhale as you lower your leg. I couldnt get a one one to perform.

• 15 faux love bracelet // Jul 25, 2016 at 11:11 am

cartierlovejesduas «Человек из Ниоткуда» — один из немногих боевиков, который я с огромным удовольствием посмотрел не за то, что это боевик. Это редкость в моём случае. Большая редкость. И, да, фору этот фильм даст очень и очень многим. Финальная поножовщина уступает разве что чукалову «Рейда». Тоже ведь один из бриллиантов последних лет. 2010 или 2011, не помню точно.
    faux love bracelet http://www.bijouxmondial.net/category/replique-cartier-bijoux

• 16 repliche orologi // Jul 25, 2016 at 11:24 am

That has a best fake Hublot Substantial Click get pleasure from, you are going to collect an enjoyable experience in every day use.

• 17 http://onview.nl/z/kleding-heren/yeezy.html // Jul 25, 2016 at 11:29 am

yeezy boost nederland kopen

• 18 fast link indexer // Jul 25, 2016 at 11:48 am

link indexer

• 19 Yeezy 350 Shoes // Jul 25, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Those images look so fake. The writing does look like it was mostly done by the same person, and looks like it was photoshopped with a certain kind of brush setting. While I agree with the messages, I don’t agree with trickery such as this. Also I didn’t know we allowed Latin King gang members to enlist (note the “ALK” in a crown in the second photo). For all we know this is some inner city public restroom.
    Yeezy 350 Shoes http://www.yeezyboost350adidas.com

• 20 nike yeezy red kopen // Jul 25, 2016 at 12:38 pm

air yeezy 2 nederland kopen

• 21 joyetech myvapors // Jul 25, 2016 at 4:28 pm

claudia young – ceF in vietnam – part 1

• 22 michael kors outlet store // Jul 25, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Thanks a lot for giving everyone a very special chance to read critical reviews from this site. It can be so sweet and as well , packed with fun for me and my office acquaintances to search your site at minimum 3 times weekly to learn the new guidance you have. Of course, I’m also certainly fulfilled with your tremendous concepts you serve. Some two tips in this posting are in fact the most suitable we have ever had.

• 23 sedona landscape iphone cases // Jul 25, 2016 at 5:46 pm

although considered one of the great works of Trajan

• 24 retro 8 aqua // Jul 25, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Naschitz, J E. Gaitini, L. Lowenstein, L. Keren, D. Tamir, A. Yeshurun, D.
    retro 8 aqua http://www.jordan8aqua.org/

• 25 Air Jordan 12 Ovo White For Sale // Jul 25, 2016 at 6:41 pm

air jordan 12 ovo for sale

• 26 3g 4g cell phone jammer // Jul 25, 2016 at 7:18 pm

claudia young – ceF in vietnam – part 1

• 27 michael kors handbags // Jul 25, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Very interesting subject, appreciate it for posting.
    michael kors handbags http://www.michaelkor.org

• 28 jordan 72-10 // Jul 25, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Generally I don鈥檛 learn article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice article.
    jordan 72-10 http://www.jordan-11-72-10.org

• 29 michael kors factory outlet // Jul 26, 2016 at 12:56 am

I am commenting to let you be aware of of the great discovery my wife’s princess had studying your web site. She noticed some details, which included what it’s like to possess an excellent helping nature to let a number of people quite simply know several very confusing matters. You actually did more than readers’ expected results. I appreciate you for rendering those beneficial, dependable, educational and even unique tips on the topic to Sandra.

• 30 Sherri // Jul 26, 2016 at 5:14 am

I feel this is one of the such a lot important info for me.
    And i am satisfied studying your article. However want to statement on some general
    things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is actually great :
    D. Just right process, cheers

My web site – Zynev; Sherri,

• 31 link indexing service // Jul 26, 2016 at 5:31 am

link indexing service

• 32 Disney // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:51 am

hello
    it’s good posting.
    Disney http://www.xyzdvd.net/xyz/EDU0727-70.html

• 33 http://www.chromehearts.us.com // Jul 26, 2016 at 11:09 am

I really wanted to write a message to say thanks to you for all the splendid steps you are showing at this website. My time-consuming internet research has now been paid with reputable points to write about with my friends. I would say that we website visitors actually are unquestionably endowed to live in a wonderful network with many special people with beneficial ideas. I feel rather privileged to have encountered your entire site and look forward to so many more pleasurable moments reading here. Thanks a lot once again for all the details.

• 34 replika uhren // Jul 26, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Diese Replik Breitling Uhren entscheiden , um mit Forum personalisierten Gummi Band , die Lieferung Verwendung Komfort und noblen chic , um erstellen a frolicsome und luftige Charakter .

• 35 seo dallas texas // Jul 26, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Jeff’s Bonus: Obtain my 2015 Perfect Digital Marketing Method Checklist that summarizes the methods in this article, plus my 10 pointers for elevateding involvement on Facebook and also my 6 suggestions for rating higher in Google.

my site; seo dallas texas