ceF in vietnam – part 1

October 15th, 2010 · 9,456 Comments

see this? i like this… i like this so much that i had 3 of them. in a row. on a cathay pacific first class flight to hong kong. on my way to vietnam.

oh. wait. have i not told you?

i just got to saigon this morning. i made a decision about a month ago that i needed to do this – and that i needed to go as soon as i could. ever since hearing bourdain go on and on about this country, i’ve felt drawn here. i’ve never had much of a desire to go to asia in the past. i’ve always been the europe girl. give me italy, spain, france (in that order)… over and over, and i am pretty damn content. but suddenly it was vietnam. i had to go and now i am here. and if you’re even the least bit surprised, well you’ve just no idea…

part display, part mise en place at the outdoor restaurant where i dined streetside.

so i’ve not been in touch for awhile (again) even after saying that i would be more diligent about posting. i mean, trust me when i tell you that there is no shortage of very fine restaurant dinners in my life and then there’s michael and me in the kitchen which is not too shabby in the least. i’ve had more than enough material to perhaps even wow you on occasion. just the night before i took off, i started dinner and then michael came home and we bounced a few ideas off each other and came up with the most remarkable dish. seared lamb over fregola with roasted and crisped kale, garlic and zest, deglazed with fresh chopped tomatoes, that was so nuanced we were giddy. cooking with that man is so much damn fun… among other things.

but listen, honestly, all those empty declarations of how i vowed to post regularly were nothing more than good intentions gone awry. and you must know that i really want to share this experience with you. because i’m here for at least 5 weeks and i’m on my own and well, you can be my traveling companion – in a way, except that you won’t be picking up any checks… which is too bad because if you were to ever take me to a fabulous dinner, saigon would be the place to do it. the food is so damn fine and it’s all on the cheap.

dinner was to be light. after being plowed with (good not great) dim sum, lobster, duck and congee and whatever else my heart seemingly desired on all the flights, i hadn’t much of an appetitie. but i wanted to go to the night markets and so off i went, into the frenetic energy that is saigon. i took it to the streets dodging the scooters and cabs with the aplomb of a local and made my way past the 5 star hotels and the likes of louis vuitton, until it got just a bit earthier. in vietnam, you don’t have to go too far for everything to get really real.

this plate of clams in a lemon grass broth cost me $1.50. and it was stunningly good…

coconut water and beer on ice.

i bought some durian and ate it sitting in a park, knowing i couldn’t bring it back to the hotel. it was incredibly good and nothing like the frozen ones i’ve tried in the states. if i may say, the follow up burps were a bit funky – but worth it.

ok, i’ve hit the wall and am literally falling asleep at my computer. it’s after 1am and tomorrow i’m shopping and then cooking lunch… i don’t think i’m jet lagged, it’s more like i’m really disoriented AND i’m a 49 year old woman. for example, i was so sure that tonight was thursday but i was informed under no uncertain terms that it is in fact friday night. which means i’ve been in the same clothes for 48 hours. no lie.

clean clothes or not, i’m here and it’s exactly where i need to be.

Tags: asian · travel

9,456 responses so far ↓

• 1 lululemon warehouse sale 2017 // Jun 20, 2017 at 6:03 am

nike free 5.0
    lululemon warehouse sale 2017

• 2 Mikkel Boedker Jersey UK // Jun 20, 2017 at 6:54 am

They’ll wait for people to start signing up for their opportunity. K is ready to get started with his lesson, but heres what he doesnt know is lurking under the surface:Susie was just dumped by her boyfriend because of an untrue rumor posted on Facebook last night. Particularly as I always seem to be playing it in scratch foursomes and I’m playing the evens. In addition, the dirt makes it reduce the amount of heat produced. They’ll wait for people to start signing up for their opportunity.
    Mikkel Boedker Jersey UK [url=http://www.thehockeyshopuk.com/san-jose-sharks-mikkel-boedker-jersey-uk/]Mikkel Boedker Jersey UK[/url]

• 3 Maury Wills Jersey // Jun 20, 2017 at 1:07 pm

) Rather than starting class with some form of curriculum, I start with neutral ground. Email your prospects useful instructional tips every day, to further the relationship.We end up renting, if you will pardon my expression, a frigging warehouse. Your energy will be sapped and you will not know why.Finally we can retire from hustling junk and go back to being normal weekend people once again.
    Maury Wills Jersey

• 4 Granit Xhaka Jersey UK // Jun 20, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Wallow around in it; get to know the feeling.I can envision another warehouse and another and eventually we would own all the junk in town.DesignMAiSPACE provides a professional inhouse design team to produce the best and most cost effective layout, not only to satisfy your current staffing demands, but also to help you plan ahead.Ed. This simpletowardretain the services of software package can create posting your rather particular eBooks as straightforward as a pair clicks of your mouse.
    Granit Xhaka Jersey UK

• 5 Buffalo Bills Doug Flutie Jersey // Jun 20, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Ks class, and the bell has just rung.When you go to close sales, you are likely to get fewer objections when you introduce your 4Life Ecuador venture. They have to check different components and then decide which one requires maintenance. It permits the DJ towards participate in a number of data files with configurable variety of sampler every single of which contain an individual total take care of and particular participant. It’s likely you’ll be following other network marketers.
    Buffalo Bills Doug Flutie Jersey

• 6 B.J. Upton Jersey UK // Jun 20, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Drive people from Twitter to your blog, where your instructional content positions you as an authority. Steps of playing restaurant game online are very easy. Binoculars can be used for this service. As an sector market in just the United kingdom, personal computer basic safety is fairly clean, whether or not inside London, Edinburgh or other metropolitan areas and metropolitan areas. Charles Goldfarb confirmed the opinion of team physicians and recommended surgery.
    B.J. Upton Jersey UK

• 7 Mike Hoffman Jersey // Jun 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm

GETTING IN THE GREEN ZONEHeres how I combat the problem.Ricardo Interpemian has coached thousands of people how to build businesses such as 4Life Ecuador. Monetize by promoting your 4Life Ecuador opportunity or other products and services at the close of each email. This technological knowhow will allow nearly everybody in the direction of talk with just about all people. Following elimination, yourself can look for industry experts’ advice for the set up, activation, improve and enhance of an appropriate antivirus computer software.
    Mike Hoffman Jersey

• 8 Bo Jackson Jersey // Jun 20, 2017 at 11:04 pm

After issuing your command to generate a Hatchery, create an Overlord as soon as you have the money. Our team delivers on time and on budget with a professional, courteous demeanor.BallybunionEvery time I’ve played here, it’s blown a hoolie but it’s the west coast of Ireland so what can I expect? The golf courses’ architecture (both new and old) provides wonderful tests of golf with every shot in the bad needed.BallybunionEvery time I’ve played here, it’s blown a hoolie but it’s the west coast of Ireland so what can I expect? The golf courses’ architecture (both new and old) provides wonderful tests of golf with every shot in the bad needed. They are the point of contact for scheduling all phases of an installation with design, trades, installers and the customer.
    Bo Jackson Jersey

• 9 Marcus Allen Jersey // Jun 21, 2017 at 5:25 am

BallybunionEvery time I’ve played here, it’s blown a hoolie but it’s the west coast of Ireland so what can I expect? The golf courses’ architecture (both new and old) provides wonderful tests of golf with every shot in the bad needed. You just need to login on this site, you can generate extra details as you start playing good. Related articlesmay be found at Now that you’ve an extension, a Queen, including a Spawning Pool, just what exactly Starcraft two Zerg technique you employ from here is dependent upon your opponent and what they’re doing. Imagine whenever you enter into restaurant what you should get, this kind of game would give aperson feeling like you are in restaurant.
    Marcus Allen Jersey

• 10 Luc Robitaille Jersey // Jun 21, 2017 at 6:16 am

Success breeds success in sales and motivation fuels the activity needed to achieve success. Some individuals say that application can acquire your self connected in the direction of a hyperlink farm, even despite the fact that it is pretty much unachievable.Eric thinks he failed is history quiz today despite all of his studying last night. They are able to tell you about everything required to undertake when you must file for taxes, and make sure your company is legal. However, if these are the only things worth appreciating in your salon then you will still only end up with a handful of customers every day since you lack the skilled staff, equipment and supplies to do the job properly.
    Luc Robitaille Jersey

• 11 Willson Contreras Jersey // Jun 21, 2017 at 10:27 am

If you are looking for another way to acquire criminal files, you can look them up from online search tools that cater to supplying them to the public.When the cold season ends, you need to make contacts with the specialists to do a thorough diagnosis of the unit. Obviously, your salon business could never survive the stiff competition that way.– One student said, Walking into class, I found myself thinking… I wonder what kind of kind of ridiculous joke he has today? In this case, I was thrilled to hear that their attention was already focused on anticipating my actions before they even entered my door.You have probably seen a storage locker complex near where you live.
    Willson Contreras Jersey

• 12 Alisson Jersey // Jun 21, 2017 at 11:05 am

One can learn how to start your own personal restaurant. In many homes, these machines turn off automatically as a result of dirt.Then they spam their friends and family by email like this: The company’s breakthrough products…The revolutionary comp plan…The incredible management team. Employers are allowed so they can make sure that they hire employees that abide by the law. At the extremes it will lead to total sales avoidance of anything to do with sales or anything that risks damaging the relationship between the sales person and the client.
    Alisson Jersey

• 13 Daeshon Hall Panthers Jersey // Jun 21, 2017 at 11:56 am

You can prevent the discomfort when you hire a person to do repairs. Part of the Grenadine Islands, this is a corner of paradise and the Jim Fazio golf course fits in perfectly.Try relaxing first and using a bit of my cognitive behavioral therapy; you will feel so much better afterwards because unlike drugs and alcohol it really works.– Friday: Bad Joke Friday. What on your own may perhaps require is an exceptional software package that could possibly be capable in direction of scan your laptop and glimpse for avoidable applications together with these kinds of and clear away them efficiently.
    Daeshon Hall Panthers Jersey

• 14 air jordan // Jun 21, 2017 at 12:18 pm

I and my guys appeared to be looking at the best information found on your site while all of a sudden got a horrible feeling I had not expressed respect to the web site owner for them. Most of the men became certainly excited to study all of them and now have in fact been enjoying these things. Appreciation for being considerably kind and then for settling on such important topics most people are really desperate to understand about. Our honest regret for not expressing appreciation to you earlier.

• 15 Casemiro Jersey // Jun 21, 2017 at 2:52 pm

If you are looking for another way to acquire criminal files, you can look them up from online search tools that cater to supplying them to the public.’In theory perhaps, but we never do in practice find that piece because it’s Twilight Zone redux.People like us.Maybe spend some quality time together and watch a ball game or two. In sales, confidence becomes a chicken and egg situation.
    Casemiro Jersey

• 16 Federico Fazio Jersey // Jun 21, 2017 at 9:38 pm

With water on 14 of the holes and huge white bunkers and some very narrow fairways, you have to concentrate for the full four hours.Pebble BeachI haven’t played that much in the States but I have played some of their best.I don’t want to go to the mall and buy stuff I don’t need anymore. You can learn every one of the aspects of getting the ownrestaurant. With water on 14 of the holes and huge white bunkers and some very narrow fairways, you have to concentrate for the full four hours.
    Federico Fazio Jersey

• 17 yeezy boost // Jun 21, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Thanks a lot for giving everyone such a special possiblity to check tips from this site. It is always very awesome plus packed with a good time for me personally and my office friends to search your site at the least thrice a week to learn the newest items you will have. Of course, I am just always impressed concerning the very good inspiring ideas served by you. Selected 1 areas in this post are clearly the most efficient we have all ever had.

• 18 Devin Harris Jersey // Jun 22, 2017 at 7:50 am

It is possible to use visualisation and affirmations to help work on self image. And not only did he work hard, he worked brilliantly and his creations have past the test of time to remain amongst the best golf courses in the world with effortless ease.Im not suggesting that these activities will create world peace, but they do:– Capture the attention of the entire class,– Put a smile on everyones face,– Create a bond between the teacher and the student, and– Make for a smoother transition to the real curriculum at hand. The activity is high interest, unrelated to the curriculum, but is also predictable. One can learn how to start your own personal restaurant.
    Devin Harris Jersey

• 19 Darren Woodson Jersey UK // Jun 22, 2017 at 8:27 am

Picture getting a pilot or a medical doctor or a law enforcement officer upon your initial working day in just your fresh new profession. Quite long and with plenty of cunninglyplaced bunkers, you have to be Gary Player and John Daly if yo锘?Like many other Americans I was once a slave to stuff. Restaurant starting is not regarding having foods in your store. One of the very things that customers will surely appreciate is the salon furniture. Your purpose in getting overdue, start playing today and discover the steps ways to make the variation if youwould play well.
    Darren Woodson Jersey UK

• 20 sie hier aussehen koennte // Jun 22, 2017 at 12:08 pm

;-Gebärmutter Ejakulation Talk-Große Brüste Echt Creampied.

• 21 sexkontakte frankfurt // Jun 22, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Wir haben uns einige Wochen angesehen und können ohne weiteres sagen, das dies eine der besten Sexkontakt Plattformen überhaupt ist, welche wir den letzten Jahren zu Gesicht bekommen haben!

• 22 super sunglasses deutschland // Jun 22, 2017 at 8:53 pm

louis vuitton handbags outlet
    super sunglasses deutschland

• 23 Dwight Scovell // Jun 23, 2017 at 12:19 am

Why aren’t you taking advantage of the BEST KEPT SECRET on the internet? Because you don’t know about it… Read More…

• 24 ultra boost 3.0 // Jun 23, 2017 at 7:46 am

I not to mention my friends ended up looking at the nice suggestions found on your site and so all of a sudden I had a terrible suspicion I had not thanked the blog owner for those techniques. All of the guys appeared to be excited to read through all of them and have now in truth been using those things. I appreciate you for genuinely really kind and also for making a decision on this sort of incredible subjects millions of individuals are really eager to be informed on. My sincere regret for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

• 25 Escritório de advocacia empresarial em Uberlândia // Jun 24, 2017 at 3:14 am

I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve introduced on your post.
    They’re very convincing and will certainly work.
    Still, the posts are very brief for novices.
    Could you please prolong them a little from next time?
    Thank you for the post. http://www.garciaadvocacia.com.br/

• 26 stephen curry shoes // Jun 25, 2017 at 3:35 am

I must express thanks to you for bailing me out of this type of incident. Because of surfing through the internet and getting solutions which are not beneficial, I was thinking my entire life was over. Existing devoid of the solutions to the issues you have fixed as a result of the report is a critical case, and the ones that might have badly damaged my career if I had not discovered your blog. The know-how and kindness in dealing with everything was excellent. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come upon such a step like this. It’s possible to at this time relish my future. Thanks for your time so much for your skilled and effective help. I will not think twice to refer the blog to any individual who should get care on this topic.

• 27 Ryan Dempster Team Canada Jersey // Jun 25, 2017 at 5:45 pm

People are the major factors yourself will imagine concerning each time coming up with an offer you.I’m cured. They’re have an extremely sluggish start, tend to be late to acquire antiair, Zerglings and Roaches get destroyed by Terran Players, and in addition they feel poor all around. The casinos that produce it toward the checklist of the web site are getting one particular of the immediately after hefty application technologies: RTG, Vegas Technological innovation, Microgaming, and Playtech.Expand AggressivelyThe Zerg race comes with extreme resource requirement (especially for vespene gas) to be competitive.
    Ryan Dempster Team Canada Jersey

• 28 カルティエ 6号 // Jun 26, 2017 at 5:48 am

特恵中-新作入荷!
    当社の商品は絶対の自信が御座います
    迅速、確実にお客様の手元にお届け致します
    実物写真、付属品を完備しております。
    低価格を提供すると共に、品質を絶対保証しております
    ご注文を期待しています

• 29 website hier // Jun 26, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Ein bisschen schwerfällig und verklemmt näherte ich mich Helena.Bist du eine Lesbe?

• 30 yeezy boost // Jun 27, 2017 at 8:52 am

I have to show my appreciation for your kindness in support of people who really need help on in this issue. Your very own dedication to getting the message up and down appears to be incredibly informative and have constantly permitted most people just like me to get to their desired goals. Your new interesting key points entails a whole lot a person like me and still more to my peers. With thanks; from each one of us.

• 31 Parker Bearden Jersey // Jun 27, 2017 at 3:50 pm

When you will make money, when you play good then you can earn money and you can use this money for making your restaurant better. This simpletowardretain the services of software package can create posting your rather particular eBooks as straightforward as a pair clicks of your mouse. Over time and with proper application you will begin to think just like them and have the same levels of success.comto obtain the most recent working Norton. It’s likely you’ll be following other network marketers.
    Parker Bearden Jersey

• 32 Scottie Pippen USA Jersey UK // Jun 27, 2017 at 4:27 pm

What’s the problem here? Let’s think about the following: If you use a replicated website, do you stand out from the tens of thousands of reps in your company doing the EXACT same thing?Do you realize there are THOUSANDS of spammy marketers in HUNDREDS of different companies spouting the exact same type of hype about their company? There is only ONE style of replicated website you should ever consider using.5minutemystery. If there are any incorrect pieces of information found in the document, the owner may request to have it reviewed and appropriately changed. One room will have high temperatures while the next one remains cold.Please call us at 866.
    Scottie Pippen USA Jersey UK

• 33 adidas nmd // Jun 28, 2017 at 6:49 am

I as well as my guys were digesting the nice tactics from the website and so all of a sudden developed a terrible suspicion I had not expressed respect to you for those techniques. All of the men were definitely for this reason stimulated to see them and have in effect undoubtedly been taking pleasure in those things. Thanks for actually being really helpful and also for picking certain superb things millions of individuals are really wanting to discover. My personal sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to you earlier.

• 34 nike air zoom // Jun 28, 2017 at 6:34 pm

I would like to show my respect for your kindness in support of visitors who must have help on this one concept. Your very own commitment to passing the solution throughout has been especially good and has frequently enabled many people much like me to arrive at their ambitions. Your new warm and friendly facts entails a lot to me and somewhat more to my colleagues. Thanks a ton; from all of us.

• 35 adidas yeezy // Jun 30, 2017 at 2:06 am

Would you be excited about exchanging hyperlinks?

• 36 Kevin De Bruyne Drakt // Jun 30, 2017 at 8:28 pm

, for the trees were scattered Sidney Crosby Dresy wide about over a narrow space,Sidney Crosby Dresy, a Marco Verratti Drakt nd,Marco Verratti Drakt, consequently, afforded but little shelter; and if even I had succeeded in getting firewood—by no means an easy matter at any time,Arsenal Dzieci 16/17, and still more difficult no Arsenal Dzieci 16/17 w that the g

• 37 Grant Hill Jersey // Jul 1, 2017 at 11:16 pm

We ensure project time frames are met and a promise for quick turnarounds and timely resolutions to your changes. Choose things that appeal to you, because your delivery will be much more natural.MAiSPACEthe systemFrom the beginning in 1993, this product has sent shock waves throughout the contract furniture industry. The main difficulty here is the greensmany of which are below or above you and all of which are very well guarded.Project ManagementOne of the most critical elements we supply our clients is peace of mind.

• 38 yeezy boost 350 // Jul 4, 2017 at 3:23 am

I am usually to blogging and i actually recognize your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your website and hold checking for new information.

• 39 yeezy boost // Jul 7, 2017 at 9:37 am

My spouse and i felt really relieved when John could carry out his researching with the ideas he had using your site. It’s not at all simplistic just to always be giving freely secrets which often men and women could have been making money from. And we figure out we have the writer to appreciate because of that. These illustrations you’ve made, the simple web site menu, the friendships you assist to promote – it’s got all great, and it is aiding our son and our family consider that that concept is satisfying, and that’s unbelievably serious. Thank you for all!