ceF in vietnam – part 1

October 15th, 2010 · 32 Comments

see this? i like this… i like this so much that i had 3 of them. in a row. on a cathay pacific first class flight to hong kong. on my way to vietnam.

oh. wait. have i not told you?

i just got to saigon this morning. i made a decision about a month ago that i needed to do this – and that i needed to go as soon as i could. ever since hearing bourdain go on and on about this country, i’ve felt drawn here. i’ve never had much of a desire to go to asia in the past. i’ve always been the europe girl. give me italy, spain, france (in that order)… over and over, and i am pretty damn content. but suddenly it was vietnam. i had to go and now i am here. and if you’re even the least bit surprised, well you’ve just no idea…

part display, part mise en place at the outdoor restaurant where i dined streetside.

so i’ve not been in touch for awhile (again) even after saying that i would be more diligent about posting. i mean, trust me when i tell you that there is no shortage of very fine restaurant dinners in my life and then there’s michael and me in the kitchen which is not too shabby in the least. i’ve had more than enough material to perhaps even wow you on occasion. just the night before i took off, i started dinner and then michael came home and we bounced a few ideas off each other and came up with the most remarkable dish. seared lamb over fregola with roasted and crisped kale, garlic and zest, deglazed with fresh chopped tomatoes, that was so nuanced we were giddy. cooking with that man is so much damn fun… among other things.

but listen, honestly, all those empty declarations of how i vowed to post regularly were nothing more than good intentions gone awry. and you must know that i really want to share this experience with you. because i’m here for at least 5 weeks and i’m on my own and well, you can be my traveling companion – in a way, except that you won’t be picking up any checks… which is too bad because if you were to ever take me to a fabulous dinner, saigon would be the place to do it. the food is so damn fine and it’s all on the cheap.

dinner was to be light. after being plowed with (good not great) dim sum, lobster, duck and congee and whatever else my heart seemingly desired on all the flights, i hadn’t much of an appetitie. but i wanted to go to the night markets and so off i went, into the frenetic energy that is saigon. i took it to the streets dodging the scooters and cabs with the aplomb of a local and made my way past the 5 star hotels and the likes of louis vuitton, until it got just a bit earthier. in vietnam, you don’t have to go too far for everything to get really real.

this plate of clams in a lemon grass broth cost me $1.50. and it was stunningly good…

coconut water and beer on ice.

i bought some durian and ate it sitting in a park, knowing i couldn’t bring it back to the hotel. it was incredibly good and nothing like the frozen ones i’ve tried in the states. if i may say, the follow up burps were a bit funky – but worth it.

ok, i’ve hit the wall and am literally falling asleep at my computer. it’s after 1am and tomorrow i’m shopping and then cooking lunch… i don’t think i’m jet lagged, it’s more like i’m really disoriented AND i’m a 49 year old woman. for example, i was so sure that tonight was thursday but i was informed under no uncertain terms that it is in fact friday night. which means i’ve been in the same clothes for 48 hours. no lie.

clean clothes or not, i’m here and it’s exactly where i need to be.

Tags: asian · travel

• 1 lululemon yoga classes // May 5, 2016 at 2:04 pm

collana louis vuitton

• 2 Nike Kobe 9 High 2015 Elite Lakers Yellow Purple Hombre Zapatillas Spain // May 5, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on %meta_keyword%. Regards
    Nike Kobe 9 High 2015 Elite Lakers Yellow Purple Hombre Zapatillas Spain http://www.inotherwordssa.com/?es-16605_nike-kobe-9-high-2015-elite-lakers-yellow-purple-hombre-zapatillas-spain-p-2413.html

• 3 maroon nike roshe womens // May 5, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Heya! I know this is somewhat off-topic however I had to ask. Does running a well-established website such as yours take a lot of work? I am brand new to running a blog but I do write in my diary everyday. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!
    maroon nike roshe womens http://www.goyalarts.com/page.php?us-5935_maroon-nike-roshe-womens.html

• 4 nba 2k16 mt points glitch // May 5, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Wow, attractive website. Thnx ..

• 5 nike free flyknit 5.0 // May 5, 2016 at 10:35 pm

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable familiarity about unexpected feelings.
    nike free flyknit 5.0 http://www.laterracotta.net/?it-262_nike-free-flyknit-5.0.html

• 6 200 scooter // May 5, 2016 at 10:58 pm

I have consistently wished a couple of actual 200 scooter http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/8inch-Hover-Board/1950023_505167005.html, nevertheless i wasn’t positive that these folks were well expense. But yet buying you from the moment i slipped these relating to, i found myself around abode. they are which means that nice i could live in all working day. When i deliver the criminals to visit college, deliver the results, pretty much anybring. Any 10 inch electric scooter http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/10inch-Hover-Board/1950023_505404968.html was a little extreme in the beginning, nevertheless once i started providing these folks many people adjusted to be able to your legs. 🙂 We’re choosing a differnt one the nation’s which means that very good!!

• 7 シャネル 時計 20代 // May 6, 2016 at 1:53 am

2010年7月8日、スイス布拉苏糸村――スイスタブ業の伝統的な休日で、多芸多才の音楽巨擘クインシージョーンズ(Quincyジョーンズ)オーデマピゲ表グループCEOの莫菲利(フィリップ・Merk)さんの案内でオーデマピゲタブ工場を見学しました。ウブロスーパーコピーこのオーデマピゲ表と縁の深い伝奇音楽人、この度の旅行の経験を発掘したオーデマピゲ表表壇の先駆けとしての深遠なタブの文化、特に見た自分の名前のMILLENARYミレニアムクインシージョーンズ(Quincyジョーンズ)限定腕時計の制作蘊奥。「オーデマピゲ工場、タブ職人たちに見せる好プレー印象が殘って。彼らは偉大な創造者、激情あふれるアーティスト、ちょうど私が音楽プロデューサーとしてサービスのあれらの才能豊かな人。」クインシージョーンズ(Quincyジョーンズ)は音楽史の上で影響力の裕福な伝説の人物は依然としてを提唱し、ポップスの普及発展に力を入れる。元トランペットのクインシージョーンズ、後に従事し、指揮、続々とアレンジ音楽レコード制作などの仕事。カルティエ時計コピープロデューサーの間で出版された数十枚ジャズミュージシャンのアルバムを務めるレコード、フランク・辛納屈(Frank Sinatra)、バーバラ・史翠珊(Barbara Streisand)、汤尼•クラスナイト(Tony Bennett)などの国際スターのプロデューサー。1978年、クインシージョーンズとマイケル・ジャクソン(MichaelJackson)と出会い、彼のために制作した『塀の外」や「戦慄」、「速い」など3枚のアルバムにレコード。こちらの達人生花の天才編曲家と慧眼識英雄の音楽伯楽は、常にその鋭い嗅覚の音楽を生み出し空前絶後の経典金曲。ファンの愛称をQのクインシージョーンズも気前情熱の化身。クインシージョーンズ人道的精神に基づいて救済、かつて人気歌手アメリカ召集46位を行いの「Weアレthe World四海一家》専輯レコードは美しい。オメガコピー彼は一人で創設のクインシージョーンズ基金会は保護児童権益を守るために努力することを目的とし、全世界の子どもの福祉、健康と尊厳。オーデマピゲ時計工場とこちらは平凡な音楽巨擘協力推進するQ計画。この計画を訴えの政界と社会大衆配慮靑少年の創作表現現し、必要の賛助と協力し、彼らの潜在力を発揮する。
    シャネル 時計 20代 http://www.fujisanbrand.com/watch/cartier/bleu/bd0d27b97b735e48.html

• 8 オメガ 腕時計 電池交換 // May 6, 2016 at 1:54 am

そしてクーパーの娘マーフィー(夜はジェシカChastain飾)がつけたのは漢ミルトンを「惑星」専門のカーキ表をカスタマイズアイテムで、この時計は、唯一の、漢ミルトン3つの古典的な表の基礎の上で構築。カーキ前衛の針や文字盤、精巧な指針霊感は1960年代漢ミルトンのパイロット腕時計針;カーキ野戦シリーズ軍用腕時計のさわやかなケース。泛欧自動クロノ経典の皮バンド。表に双方向モータを駆動を実現することができる映画で表現モスコードの時、横、それは殘して宿る想いクーパー娘の風物詩で、十数年は巻き自然はとっくにシャットダウンさせ、これにもぴったりクーパーが超立方体で制御することにより引力で秒針スイングに情報を伝えることによって、過去になったし、ストーリー発展の重要な手がかり。2項の腕時計を完璧に符合するキャラだけでなく、もっと重要な役を務める。
    オメガ 腕時計 電池交換 http://www.okakaku.com/brand-20-copy-0.html

• 9 oakley ciclismo baratas 49cc // May 6, 2016 at 6:44 am

Fantastic website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about here? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get opinions from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Bless you!
    oakley ciclismo baratas 49cc http://www.cmcomunicacion.es/?es-7322_oakley-ciclismo-baratas-49cc.html

• 10 compra zapatillas nike // May 6, 2016 at 10:45 am

I¡¯m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on. Cheers
    compra zapatillas nike http://www.deltagreen.es/es.php?es-4342_compra-zapatillas-nike.html

• 11 Samurai Katana Steel // May 6, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Merci beaucoup , un peu petite fille sera très heureux . Expédition très rapide .