ceF in vietnam – part 2
saigon cooking class and again, dinner at the night market

October 16th, 2010 · 14,573 Comments

i think the only thing that’s truly remarkable about the fact that i made this dish is the whole "presentation" thing. i’m usually short on looks and long on flavor. by the time i get a dish tasting how i want it, the way that it looks matters little to me. especially if knife skills are required and it’s only a decorative garnish. i’m just not that cook. except for today. today i spent about 6 hours with 2 guys, one who was the chef and the other who was just a lost paying soul like me looking to glean some cooking tips. there were 4 courses for our lunch which began with a trip to saigon’s biggest and best market, ben thanh. i’m going back by myself tomorrow for a longer look. the hell with the war remnants museum and the reunification palace, show me how the people live, show me what sustains them. to me the market is the life force of the city.

dried shrimp. lots and lots of dried shrimp…

the banana flower salad is a relatively common dish in vietnam and one that i have seen in the states, but instead of the banana flower, cabbage is used. why i never make this at home, i do not know – but now i plan on having it often. it is simply a taste sensation and so incredibly simple to prepare. the dressing is the vietnamese classic of equal parts water, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar with minced garlic and chiles. the salad is the shredded banana leaf, shredded chicken breast, julienned carrots and green peppers (take that
ruhlman) and some fresh herbs. we used rau ram and hun kay – the former i know is available in the ny area although not readily unless you live in chinatown and the latter i have seen but don’t know the english name and googling it didn’t help. but regardless, mint and thai basil would do quite nicely. the salad is finished with crispy fried shallots and chopped roasted peanuts – not too much of either, and let me just say once more: this salad is truly amazing. and honestly, it’s not even cooking, it is merely assembling. oh, and chili pepper flower and outer banana flower petal dish? optional…

nearly everything is alive and there is zero fish odor.

also at lunch there were seafood and taro fried spring rolls that were ok but not so much my thing, and pho was explained and assembled but i’ve learned from pardus how to make that and quite frankly, michael’s broth is better. but it was a lovely setting with really nice guys and we had good fun. afterwards i went and got a neck and head massage while also getting a foot and leg massage. simultaneously. for an hour. for $30. in what would be considered a high end spa. i’m not sure how physically therapeutic it was… if you’re into serious massage this is in the vein of swedish – at best, not so much therapeutic. but still, it was welcomed by my travel weary body.

for dinner, a vietnamese crepe at the night market. there were also shrimp steamed in beer and a bowl of rice noodles with some bbq’d pork that were both excellent.

i was moving past them quickly so pardon the blur… but this is vietnam.

Tags: asian · travel

14,573 responses so far ↓

• 1 Globalcatalog.com // Jul 2, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Just want to input on few general things, The website design is perfect, the articles are very good : D.

Feel free to visit my webpage locksmith (Globalcatalog.com)

• 2 locksmith near me // Jul 2, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Hey there! Useful blog post! Please keep us posted!

Review my blog; locksmith near me

• 3 Christoper // Jul 2, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Thanks for the write up. I certainly agree with what you are
    saying. I have been discussing this subject a lot these days with my brother so hopefully this will get him to see my viewpoint.
    Fingers crossed!

My blog RF Locks – Christoper

• 4 Moritz Leitner Jersey UK // Jul 2, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Now when I ask the question, What does it mean if interest is compounding continuously? I might get an answer like, the compounding doesnt stop? This might be the right answer or might be the wrong answer, but at least it is an answer.Jimmy was just stopped by his coach in hallway and reminded that Coach really needs Jimmys best performance in the big game tonight. In many homes, these machines turn off automatically as a result of dirt. Bring visitors to your Internet site.My tale of woe worsens as my junk person dealer wife starts buying truckload after truckload of auctioned storage lockers.

• 5 Jalen Hurts Jersey // Jul 2, 2017 at 5:26 pm

You will be given a fingerprint card, which you will need to present to the department along with the completed request form, a governmentissued ID, and the appropriate fees when you submit your request. For more details please visit Restaurant Games. Moreover manually reducing the virus isn’t moving in the direction of stop or hold your personal computer secure in opposition to foreseeable future virus challenges. When the standards usually are not up to the particular expectations or if there standards are not up to the industry best category, then you might be unable to pull out the particular best out of the seo firm.Now when I ask the question, What does it mean if interest is compounding continuously? I might get an answer like, the compounding doesnt stop? This might be the right answer or might be the wrong answer, but at least it is an answer.

• 6 Ibraheim Campbell Jersey UK // Jul 2, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Law enforcers are allowed to access criminal records of people especially if it is necessary for an ongoing investigation. Do not accept capturing the identical amount of expansions as the other player.Our installation advantages include:* An onsite, experienced installation manager who schedules and oversees the project. This sort of is the mother nature of the Worldwideweb that even further and far more refreshing viruses are staying produced and discovered each yr, therefore, as a laptop consumer and Worldwideweb surfer, your self will need to have in direction of live a person stage forward of the match.Try relaxing first and using a bit of my cognitive behavioral therapy; you will feel so much better afterwards because unlike drugs and alcohol it really works.

• 7 Sam Huff Jersey // Jul 2, 2017 at 6:15 pm

And it goes downhill from there. Heres my weekly schedule:– Monday: My Crazy Weekend.– Personal mentoring and coaching can be effective and training that focuses on mindset rather than technique. For two bucks our neurotic customers expect perfect, original junk.

• 8 Reginald // Jul 2, 2017 at 6:23 pm

You appear to be extremely professional in the way you write.

My page :: locksmith (Reginald)

• 9 Tracie // Jul 2, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Many great stuff on this website, I like it.

My homepage locksmith – Tracie

• 10 Locksmith Near Me // Jul 2, 2017 at 6:24 pm

This is actually fascinating, you are a very professional
    blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and sit up for trying to find
    more of your excellent post.Additionally, I have shared your
    site in my social networks!

My web site … Locksmith Near Me

• 11 Valencia // Jul 2, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for the wonderful blog. It was very beneficial for me.
    Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was in fact what I was trying to find, and I am glad to came
    here! Thank you for sharing the such information here.

Feel free to visit my weblog – RF Locks (Valencia)

• 12 Rosario // Jul 3, 2017 at 2:12 am

I merely started reading and I’m glad I did. You’re
    an incredible blogger, among the very best that I’ve seen.
    This weblog without any doubt has some facts on topic that I
    just wasn’t mindful of. Thank you for bringing this stuff to light.

Look at my web-site … locksmith near me [Rosario]

• 13 Adidas NMD XR1 Camouflage Main Blue // Jul 3, 2017 at 5:46 am

I must show some appreciation to the writer just for rescuing me from this particular crisis. Because of browsing throughout the search engines and getting principles which are not productive, I thought my life was done. Being alive without the presence of strategies to the issues you’ve resolved by means of the short post is a crucial case, and the ones that would have negatively affected my entire career if I hadn’t encountered your blog post. The capability and kindness in controlling the whole thing was very useful. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not discovered such a point like this. I’m able to at this time look forward to my future. Thanks for your time so much for your professional and amazing help. I will not think twice to refer the website to anyone who desires guidelines on this issue.

• 14 Cleveland Indians Jersey // Jul 3, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Some individuals say that application can acquire your self connected in the direction of a hyperlink farm, even despite the fact that it is pretty much unachievable.I owe my enlightenment to being junk dealer. Develop two more Drones, getting you 16 18 supplies (you’ll shed 1 Drone when building a Spawning Pool).– Wednesday: ‘Would You Rather Wednesdays? I read scenarios on a card from the old board game, Would You Rather…? For example, I might ask the class Would you rather have five bottles stuck on the fingers of one hand for a year or have a bucket stuck on your foot for a year? This always stirs up fun debate. Find someone who is achieving success in your new situation so that you can learn and apply their strategies.

• 15 Philadelphia Eagles Wendell Smallwood Jersey // Jul 3, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Please call us at 866. To get traffic, you can use free strategies, such as article marketing and blogging, or paid advertising.Good luck, and most of all…have fun!– Readers Digest (Get familiar in your community laws, regulations and ordinances prior to you begin your business. The task of cleaning the facial skin, for example requires more than just daylight lamps.

• 16 Bill Ranford Jersey // Jul 3, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Experience has taught us that projects are best planned with a coordinated team to manage logistics and help clients mitigate extraneous costs and risks associated with employee downtime. You even get more stress when your heating unit breaks down.We did them all.When operating a residence established company it is essential to remember not to expect instant accomplishment. Drive people from Twitter to your blog, where your instructional content positions you as an authority.

• 17 Allie Long USA Jersey // Jul 3, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Best seo firm rated for that week could have the top position stars. In fact, these are actually necessary concerns, hoping that the appearance of your business will attract more customers into your salon. I read a mystery from Donald J. Becoming aware of them is the first stage of overcoming them.That’s what I get for thinking strategically.

• 18 Drew Maggi Italy Jersey // Jul 3, 2017 at 3:56 pm

People are the major factors yourself will imagine concerning each time coming up with an offer you.. By using the latest version of AutoCAD and GIZA specifying software, our furniture plans are virtually fault free. As relationships are at least 50% of any sale, it is better to begin with developing interpersonal skills before worrying about sales technique. Here are some example things to Tweet about: Simple tips to generate leads Inspirational quotes Questions for other marketersAvoid tweeting about your 4Life Ecuador venture.

• 19 Alvaro Morata Jersey // Jul 3, 2017 at 4:04 pm

The activity is high interest, unrelated to the curriculum, but is also predictable. It is a good thing in terms of relationship building but if the sales person does not have control over their need for approval then it can lead to extreme reluctance in certain sales situations.You have to excel in many aspects as well as ensuring your salon is presentable.Sit your worn and tired bones down in a warehouse surrounded by your very own junk. As a common rule during the house company market, expecting to succeed without delay, is a sure method to fail.

• 20 Carl Nassib Jersey // Jul 3, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Microsoft is made up of develop into considerably adept at responding towards pitfalls and marketing free of charge antivirus and antimalware application. A Claim of Alleged Inaccuracy or Incompleteness form is available at the Department of Justice. This article is part of my patient recovery plan.Chantilly VineuilA beautiful Tom Simpson gem. Back again within the working day While I was a younger male, accurately taking into desktops and investing floppy disks again and forth, your self may rely upon a virus remaining upon a disk at the time inside of awhile.

• 21 Victor Rask Carolina Hurricanes Jersey // Jul 4, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Employers are allowed so they can make sure that they hire employees that abide by the law. I additionally feel they go through some legal responsibility there considering that they are promoting applications with a lie. Pick a customizable website system that positions you as an expert, not merely a 4Life Ecuador distributor. The score and the rating are usually carried out based upon the particular track record of their past as well as the achievements, qualifications, insurance and so forth. Anyone caught not observing this will be penalized accordingly.

• 22 URL // Jul 5, 2017 at 3:22 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Find More Informations here: cookeatfret.com/travel/2010/10/16/cef-in-vietnam-part-2-saigon-cooking-class-and-again-dinner-at-the-night-market/ […]

• 23 Thomas Greiss Jersey UK // Jul 5, 2017 at 8:36 am

In addition be aware that the Zerg call for significant levels of vespene gas and quite often possess high levels of unspent minerals.”Hamels will be the seventh Opening Day starter for the Rangers in the past seven years. The other is how to stay motivated and recover from disappointments and rejection. Our motto would be ‘We Are the Flea Market!’ If you ever feel like this, please restrain yourself and don’t end it all just yet. Imagine whenever you enter into restaurant what you should get, this kind of game would give aperson feeling like you are in restaurant.

• 24 R.A. Dickey Jersey UK // Jul 5, 2017 at 9:42 am

Your salon should also have a lightings system that can aid your staff in performing their tasks while not being too bright and confronting for your customers. Make a Queen in addition to a set of Zerglings.Strategically, I’m thinking that we are going to have to start renting storage lockers to put all this stuff that we are buying in. In addition, the dirt makes it reduce the amount of heat produced. “He has done it before and to do it for us is pretty special.

• 25 yeezy boost 350 // Jul 5, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Can I simply say what a aid to seek out somebody who really is aware of what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know find out how to deliver a difficulty to mild and make it important. Extra individuals must read this and perceive this side of the story. I cant consider youre not more fashionable since you undoubtedly have the gift.

• 26 Richard Jefferson Jersey UK // Jul 6, 2017 at 7:21 am

We don’t always think strategically. By incorporating numerous flexible features such as off modular capabilities, unrestricted layin cabling, zone distribution, thermofoil ergonomic worktops and 15 interchangeable tile options, MAiSPACE easily accommodates requirements for any employee, at any level and can change in a heartbeat. Following elimination, yourself can look for industry experts’ advice for the set up, activation, improve and enhance of an appropriate antivirus computer software. You won’t win extensive games and not using a good economy as a Zerg player..

• 27 Bruno Peres Jersey // Jul 6, 2017 at 7:59 am

Five. Simply because then viruses and malware incorporate plagued and wreaked havoc between pc courses throughout the world.Peralta got a second opinion on Wednesday and Dr.tumblr. Nearly every single top earner in companies similar to 4Life Ecuador relies on a website that can be customized.

• 28 http://www.nfldraftmall.com/NFL-ZANE-GONZALEZ-JERSEY/ // Jul 7, 2017 at 5:39 am

Good thinking. But just remember, as bad as it may seem you can’t give up; you have to keep trying.She simply cannot believe her good fortune. These machines happen to be very expensive though. Here are some example things to Tweet about: Simple tips to generate leads Inspirational quotes Questions for other marketersAvoid tweeting about your 4Life Ecuador venture.

• 29 kyrie 3 // Jul 11, 2017 at 5:02 am

After the success that the Air Jordan line had many different NBA gamers have also signed
    endorsement offers with the company.