ribollita

February 10th, 2008 · 5,352 Comments

rib4.JPG

beans! beans! they’re good for your heart! the more you eat, the more you fart… unless you change the soaking water every couple of hours to remove the offending sugar molecules called oligosaccharides. see what you get from me? both immaturity and education! i am like so totally worth your time…

after the butter and cream, the foie gras and all the excesses of december, and then with the inevitable regrouping that comes each january, here we are in february and i’m ready for some simple cool weather comfort food. and the fact that beans are low fat and don’t cost a fortune – well you’ve gotta love the beans if only for that. so after months of hearing endless raves about rancho gordo’s heirloom beans, i could stand it no longer and i went to their tres cool site and placed an order. and voila, as promised a box arrived at my door with an assortment of no less than 10 bags of some mighty fine looking legumes. now i guess i’ve got my work cut out for me…

i opted to begin with the borlotti beans. they’re similar to cranberry beans but the coloration is different and they’re slightly bigger. borlotti’s are commonly used in italian cooking and i’ve been wanting to make ribollita for awhile now, so this seemed like perfect timing. and well, that timing – it’s everything… so i started reading up and it seems that every cook’s ribollita recipe varies, but all share the common theme of taking dried beans, stale bread and winter vegetables – and wowing the hell out of you. ribollita translates from the italian to ‘re-boiled’. as with most stews and soups, this dish benefits by sitting for a day and then reheated the next.

ribollita
(heavily adapted from the ny times column ‘eating well’ written by marion burros in 1992)

3 cups dry borlotti beans, soaked 8 hours
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
8 cloves garlic, peeled, 4 left whole, 4 minced
6 ounces pancetta – medium dice
2 large onions – coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup canned Italian tomatoes
4 carrots – chopped
4 celery ribs – chopped
1 fennel bulb – sliced
1/2 cup of chopped flat leaf parsley
6 sprigs fresh thyme – chopped
2 pound cavalo nero (lacinato kale) washed, trimmed and cut into thin strips
1 pound potatoes, coarsely diced
thin slices of stale tuscan bread – i used a loaf of pugliese

1. drain beans after soaking and cover generously with fresh water, adding the sage and the 4 whole cloves of garlic. bring beans to boil and cook 45 minutes to one hour, until they are quite tender. reserve liquid.

2. meanwhile, saute the pancetta, the 4 minced garlic cloves and the onions in the olive oil.

3. when beans are cooked, puree half of them in a food processor, using a little of the cooking liquid

4. combine the pureed and the whole beans with the pancetta mixture and with tomatoes, carrots, celery, thyme, kale, potatoes and 3 cups of the bean broth. cook for 30 to 60 minutes, adding water if soup becomes more like porridge. season well with salt and pepper.

5. place a layer of bread in a casserole and top with some soup. repeat until all the bread is used, ending with soup on top. the dish can be served this way, as a bean and bread soup. to make this a true ribollita, refrigerate overnight. the next day, mash the soup and the bread into a thick porridge. boil to reheat. as an alternative, you may saute the ribollita in a non-stick skillet in some olive oil until it forms a light crust. in either case, each serving should then be topped with your very best olive oil. i added slivers of parmigiano.

rib5.JPG

and yes, i grabbed my skillet and opted for the lightly crusted version. i mean, how could you not? my ribollita was then served right alongside a simple salad of romaine with dried cherries and a walnut oil and black fig vinaigrette.

it’s as close to tuscany as i’ve been in too long.

Tags: beans · soup

5,352 responses so far ↓

• 1 car insurance Elmhurst NY // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:48 am

Great insight. Relieved I’m on the same side as you.

• 2 non owners car insurance quotes College Station TX // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:45 am

When I left my parents home at age 18, I didn’t stop moving – country to country, apartment to apartment. Finally, three years ago my husband and three kids and I bought a house just outside of Paris. And for the first time in my adult life (in over 20 years), I felt rooted.

• 3 nj auto insurance // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:46 am

I’m so glad I found my solution online.

• 4 cheap car insurance Belleville MI // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:49 am

Hey, O Dear, if you can be a PNG MK, you should join us on the PNG Facebook webpage. Search for it on Facebook using “PNG MK” it’s a closed webpage so you may really need to request to join (only PNG MKs can join). Hope to see you there!

• 5 cheap sr22 insurance Magnolia TX // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Hi Josh,Just a heads up that I installed your plugin on a 3.1 development blog and it’s not working. I had to replace wp_user_search in lines 485 and 488 to wp_user_query since wp_user_search has been deprecated. However, on the Approve New Users page in the dashboard, I get this error: Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /mysite/wp-content/plugins/new-user-approve/new-user-approve.php on line 189

• 6 car insurance quotes // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Oh I have to wear sunglasses when I’m running. I have super sensitive eyes, so I always have a million pairs of sunglasses. I could totally use a new pair for running though. I like mine ok (they were cheap), but when I have a hat on, they don’t fit nearly as well and make my ears stick out and then start flopping up and down. Not cool, not cool. Movie character with shades? That’s not fair, I suck when it comes to things like that…. Does the goggles old Johnny wears in Willy Wonka count? Just ’cause I like JD.

• 7 auto insurance quotes Bristol TN // Sep 26, 2016 at 1:13 pm

It’s like you’re on a mission to save me time and money!

• 8 car insurance Ada OK // Sep 26, 2016 at 1:52 pm

A lire les réponses, on croit que la solution est soit blanc, soit noir. Penser gris est interdit.Qu’est-ce qui empêche de faire un système mixant répartition et capitalisation ?

• 9 NJ car insurance // Sep 26, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back often!

• 10 car insurance in Fort Lauderdale FL // Sep 26, 2016 at 3:59 pm

So,Mitt was given a chance to retaliate with his ever changing moods,now that he favors FEMA,I think he will have the gains,but i think he just does what he thinks the people likes.

• 11 direct auto insurance Bay City MI // Sep 26, 2016 at 4:25 pm

– Great blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely confused .. Any tips? Many thanks!

• 12 best car insurance in Fountain Valley CA // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:14 pm

"E bun si are vad chiar ok, doar ca nu prea ai pe unde parca daca esti cu masina."Ia mai citeste o data si vezi unde-i buba. Nu ma supar daca nu postezi comentariul, dar am zis totusi zic, 2 ochi in plus ajuta uneori.Te mai mira si blonda si pitzi. N-ai mai cu cine, sincer asa este.

• 13 low income auto insurance dmv Madison AL // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:24 pm

At last, someone who knows where to find the beef

• 14 car insurance quotes Lacey WA // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:28 pm

What ???????? This is the first person ever held by a state court to have satisfied every facet of the unjust-conviction law ??? I find that incredible.My case satisfies every facet of the law and I expect the Attorney General to admit it….not appeal it.And ‘we’ cannot possibly be the only ones

• 15 car insurance rates Portland OR // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:03 am

Hi there-cute tootsies my dear!! I'm easing into Sunday very gently and am smiling because its nice to just relax and chill for the moment! Have a nice day too!

• 16 cheapest car insurance in WV // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:00 am

June 23, 2010 at 5:23 pmHey John,Thanks so much for the comments. Glad to see you have found BlogcastFM and my personal blog. I’ll follow you on Twitter as well. #Blogchat is a great twitter resource. Reply

• 17 auto insurance quotes Windermere FL // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:44 am

Oh man. These pin-ups are great. I love all of them.I’d been wanting to do a series of pin-ups myself of various characters from cartoons I grew up watching. I really have to get on that.Are you going to be at the NYCC this year?

• 18 cheap non owners insurance Scarsdale NY // Sep 27, 2016 at 4:45 am

OK, so as a Great White Northern sistah I’ll get to this as soon as I un-jet-lag myself and re-adjust to Great White Central Time.And as a fellow ditz, I’ll try to not forget.

• 19 auto insurance San Ramon CA // Sep 27, 2016 at 6:02 am

Third Flower…My wife and i have already been now delighted that Albert could perform his studies thanks to the suggestions he had as a result of your web page. It truly is from time to time perplexing to simply always be making a gift of techniques which lots of pe…

• 20 auto insurance cheapest rates // Sep 27, 2016 at 8:16 am

One more thing — In the comment I just posted, I wanted to separate it into paragraphs so as to make it easier to read. But the primitive nature of comments on YouTube apparently means that no customization is allowed? Not even a break between lines?Also – embedded ads are really annoying. But I guess you guys aren't going to be doing anything about that.