THE lust list

February 14th, 2008 · 27 Comments

i’m in nyc slowly eating my way through the entire town.† just know that i do this for you, dear readers and i will report back in detail very soon.† in the meantime, on this auspicious day i wanted to leave you with my 15 minutes of true nashville fame.†

if you are drinking coffee – put it down now or it will shoot through your nose and ruin your computer forever…

the nashville scene 2008 lust list
(scroll until you find the older looking woman in reading glasses)

Tags: local · not food · random

• 1 FireDog // Feb 14, 2008 at 7:55 am

Excellent!
    And well deserved…
    And you’re in the city having a fabulous time on V-Day!
    Jealous….

• 2 Summer // Feb 14, 2008 at 8:51 am

NYC? Jealous.

Your picture? So cute!!!

• 3 Dan // Feb 14, 2008 at 10:25 am

Ruin my computer? Fah. Best use of coffee through the nose induced by good lookin’ lady I can remember!!!

• 4 lucy // Feb 14, 2008 at 10:32 am

ow ow! what a great photo; is that your kitchen in the background?

• 5 Melissa // Feb 14, 2008 at 10:52 am

OLDER LOOKING?!? jeezus claudia, give yourself some credit! you make yourself sound like some geriatric!

• 6 Robert // Feb 14, 2008 at 11:49 am

Really, think about it. Its not just Nashville, its worldwide.

Just Google “Claudia Young” +LUST. Up pops …You.

• 7 Laura // Feb 14, 2008 at 12:01 pm

I am on pins and needles waiting for your NYC update. If you ever do the east village area, try Pukk. It is Thai vegetarian and out of this world + cheap too!

• 8 Donald // Feb 14, 2008 at 12:09 pm

OUTSTANDING!

Well done Claudia.

Oh, you have have a pastrami sandwich from Carnegie deli with a slice of cheesecake for me!

• 9 Mari // Feb 14, 2008 at 12:50 pm

You look fab! I hope that you’re framing that picture and hanging it in your kitchen!

• 10 claudia // Feb 14, 2008 at 2:54 pm

mari – no, no noooooo… but still, i gotta say it was a much needed ego boost. so fun!

donald – i am a block or two from the carnegie but not going… you see, i grew up on that food. it’s in my dna yet it’s not what i crave. but boy oh boy did i have an amazing lunch today. in a word ‘momofuko’ as in pork belly buns. as in oh. my. god.

laura – so many restaurants so little time… i was in the east village this morning but opted for the aforementioned restaurant…

robert – wow, it could be cosmic lust! what a concept!

melissa – thanks honey but it’s setting in – that age thing. i kinda like it in a way. it’s sort of fascinating to me… and really, i’m just so happy to be alive that being 46 – and being where i am in my head – it’s an achievement!!!

lucy – yep that’s my kitchen and i gotta say – it is rockin…

dan – you flatter me, young man!

summer – thank you!!! nyc is just beautiful and getting more amazing every single day. seriously. what a town. i am loving every minute of it. it’s been 5 months since i’ve been home and that’s too lond but i’ll be back in May!

firedog – i have my valentine’s dinner tonight at Anthos, a michelin starred restaurant with a dear friend. the calorie intake is OUTA CONTROL…

• 11 democommie // Feb 14, 2008 at 2:59 pm

I saw the photo last week, it’s looks just as good now as it did then. I haven’t benn in NYC since about 1990. I don’t really like big cities all that much. However, when I go there, I like just strolling around and poking around in all of the bookstores.

I just borrowed a book, “The Last Chinese Chef” (Nicole Mones–also the author of “Lost In Translation”). It looks like a good read. I’ll be hoping it evokes the sort of joy I got watching “Eat, Drink, Man, Woman”.

I don’t know from the Carnegie Deli, but Katz’s (sp) down on the edge of the Bowery was pretty interesting 21 years ago.

• 12 democommie // Feb 14, 2008 at 3:02 pm

At this point, age is just a number, to me. But, my number is bigger than yours.

• 13 claudia // Feb 14, 2008 at 3:17 pm

demo – bigger number? then you win!!! absolutely!

katz’s is great – one of the very best hands down. but i haven’t eaten there in forever. and by the way – lost in translation was my favorite movie EVER of ALL TIME. period.

• 14 Lauren // Feb 14, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Congrats! I got three copies as you know. I so wish I was in NYC with you right now. I think it’s completely unfair that I haven’t been in like several years…I can’t even remember that long ago. Fun with college. Anyway, eat a zabar’s croissant for me along with everything else in sight.

• 15 ponyboat // Feb 14, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Well it took the Scene long enough. You’ve been on my lust list since the 90s!

Bring me back a cookie from Levain. PLEASE!

• 16 melissa // Feb 14, 2008 at 9:15 pm

claudia, you are downright gorgeous! really.

also:

“i kinda like it in a way. itís sort of fascinating to meÖ and really, iím just so happy to be alive that being 46 – and being where i am in my head – itís an achievement!!!”

I already feel like that at not quite 33. actually, when I turned 30 I remember thinking about that. I didn’t get depressed about it. I just thought “damn, I’ve learned so much I am glad to be here.” good for you! :)

can’t wait to keep reading all your wonderful recipes. have a great rest of your time in NYC. haven’t been since I was a kid, though it is my place of origin and my parents’ true home. I envy your access to wonderful NYC foods!

• 17 Justin // Feb 15, 2008 at 6:34 am

Stuck in NYC over Valentine’s? You poor thing. Try not to starve up there before you get back home. Oh, and if you happen to be walking by Ess-A-Bagel with a free hand, I do love those onion bagels. A baker’s dozen, you say? That would be perfect. It would just be nice not to have to pay 6 bucks for decent bagel (I’m looking at you, Noshville).

• 18 TaratheFoodie // Feb 15, 2008 at 7:09 am

Can you say “sexy librarian”? You look so cute in that picture! Feh… better than all those younger girls.

• 19 Donald // Feb 15, 2008 at 7:24 am

Claudia,

I guess I understand the whole DNA thing. Being from Philly, I have cheesesteaks and scrapple in my DNA. Scrapple I can get at a few places here in Atlanta, but I still cannot get a good or should I say, proper, cheesesteak outside of Philly.

Have a great time!

• 20 claudia // Feb 15, 2008 at 7:26 am

melissa #2 – very kind… and i’m actually really looking forward to 50. good for you for getting a handle on it early. if only i had…

justin – ess a bagel. what a plast from the past. hadn’t thought of that place in forever.growing up we got a bakers dozen for a few bucks.

tara – ummm, thanks but – not really… but that’s OK because i was 25 once too. i had my time. i’m holding my own here even if under my chin it’s starting to look a little ‘loosey goosey’…

pony – those cookies are half pound each and will KILL you – but yes, wonderful…

lauren – would have loved nothing more than to have my girl up here with me.

• 21 claudia // Feb 15, 2008 at 7:37 am

donald – lots of nashville folks from philly are always lamenting the same cheesesteak story. and it is a loud lament…

• 22 democommie // Feb 15, 2008 at 9:41 am

Claudia & Donald:

Perhaps it is possible that you can entice someone to open a bagelrycheesesteakery in Nashville. Joking aside, I live in Oswego, NY which is at least as cosmopolitan as Mayberry. However there is a bagel bakery, a quite good cafe that does wonderful pastries, cakes and panini and a nice little microbrewery. The coffee just plain sucks–to the extent that McD’s and Burger King have the best.

• 23 Donald // Feb 18, 2008 at 6:11 am

Claudia – it’s truly a sad song. The Mad Italian restaurant here tries to make a decent steak sandwich but there is no meat on it. I would imagine that there are a whole lot of people lamenting.

democommie – don’t think the idea of opening my own cheesesteak shop hasn’t crossed my mine. My first job, some 30 years ago, was making steaks, hoagies, and pizzas. The largest hurdle is getting the bread. There is just something about an Amoroso roll that can’t be duplicated. I think it has to do with climate.

• 24 robin // Feb 19, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Claudia- Congrats on the article… you look great! You should put that pic up on your site, I love it!

Have fun in NYC! Can’t wait to hear the juicy details!

• 25 cookiecrumb // Feb 20, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Please Come Home!!!

Oh, and I tagged you at I’m Mad and I Eat.

• 26 Trent // Feb 28, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Claudia, I’m looking for the perfect Chess Pie recipe. Or does it even exist? Can you help me?

• 27 countrymouse // Mar 6, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Always gorgeous and always a goddess.
    Cheers!