miso maple scallops

September 2nd, 2008 · 26 Comments

scallops are often seen being prepared in my kitchen – so much so, that most of the time i don’t even mention it in my postings as you might begin to wonder about my obsession. so it’s always nice to discover new ways to dress them up a little differently, if just for kicks. i like to think of these distinctive tasting meaty discs as my barbie dolls of seafood.  so why not join me in envisioning this dish as japanese barbie meets new england barbie, while rendezvousing in spain?

doesn’t the internet make it such a small, small world?  i rest my case.

so, i took about 2 tablespoons of both white miso and pure maple syrup, along with about 2/3 cup of sherry vinegar and reduced it down to a syrupy consistency.  this got spooned over a succotash of peas, corn and red onion that was pan fried in the fat leftover from the browned pancetta. i got the idea for this dish from the culinary sherpas who suggested edamame (in keeping with the asian fusion theme), but i only had the unshelled kind and i, quite frankly just wasn’t in the mood to steam up a batch and pop them from their pods.  i hope you understand because grabbing the peas seemed like a much better idea at the time.  true, if i had it to do all over again… but i don’t now, do i?  because you only get ONE chance to make a FIRST impressions and well, i hope i’ve not blown my credibility with you.

this dish was fast and easy and i was able to use up the last of half a red onion, some week old farmers market corn, frozen peas and a bit of random pancetta that was tucked away in my freezer.

it was wonderful.

and much prettier in person.

Tags: salad · seafood

• 1 any little reason // Sep 2, 2008 at 11:34 am

I absolutely LOVE scallops – will definitely be trying this one. The succotash looks amazing too – and perfect timing, since I have corn and red onion from the farmer’s market.

• 2 Chris // Sep 2, 2008 at 12:02 pm

So… where did you get the pancetta???
    You stepping out on me?
    Lovely color on this scallops.

• 3 Jennifer Hess // Sep 2, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Those scallops are positively sexy.

• 4 NOBLE PIG // Sep 2, 2008 at 1:08 pm

This does look like the perfect meal and great you got to use up all those leftover orphans of food! Just beautiful Claudia.

• 5 RecipeGirl // Sep 2, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Love it! Isn’t it great when you can throw a bunch of things together to make such a clever and delicious dish?

• 6 Lesley // Sep 2, 2008 at 2:00 pm

The SO loves, loves, LOVES scallops. And though I did deign to saute some shrimp (I even peeled and de-veined raw shrimp–yuck!) last week whilst on vacation, I have no plans to prepare them in my kitchen. Which is why I won’t let him see this post. He’d love this.

• 7 Robert // Sep 2, 2008 at 2:57 pm

“Obsession…dress them up alittle differently….just for kicks ” ??

I guess it was bound to happen. At some point, simply nekkid is no longer enough to hold the attention of some……..

• 8 Tommy Noodles // Sep 2, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Very Sweet-Looking Dish. For all bacon lovers, hooves down – the best pancetta money can buy is by Volpi on the Hill. Flawless blend of spiraled meat and fat, seasoned perfect and not too salty.

• 9 Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer // Sep 2, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Amazing looking – No blown first impression here – the total opposite in fact!! I think nailed it is better!! Great job ;)

• 10 Brittany // Sep 2, 2008 at 5:21 pm

I don’t know how it could get prettier.
    Way to Globe trot, Barbie!

I love scallops too.
    They’re so sexy.

• 11 Peter // Sep 2, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Miso, maple, pork, and scallops. And efficient leftover inclusion. Freakin’ awesome. Gold star.

• 12 Lauren // Sep 2, 2008 at 8:27 pm

wow! that looks incredible. i’m drooling now. please feed me.

• 13 MangerLaVille // Sep 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm

These sound so good. And they look beautiful. It reminds me of a scallop dish I had at wd50..expect without as much molecular gastronomy.

• 14 lifeinrecipes // Sep 3, 2008 at 6:55 am

I’m gonna go out on a limb with this one, but, like bacon, I think a little bit o’ miso makes everything better.

Bacon + miso = *!!!!!!*

• 15 Natalie // Sep 3, 2008 at 9:33 am

I too loved loved loved scallops until I gave the husband and myself food poisoning once. Perhaps we are ready to delve into the world of scallops again; it’s been about 1.5 years. Do you get them at Fresh Market?

• 16 Hillary // Sep 3, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Sounds like a nice flavor on those scallops. And at life in recipes, did you get that from the last season of Top Chef? :)

• 17 cook eat FRET - foie gras with a miso maple cherry sauce and crispy shallots // Sep 3, 2008 at 7:23 pm

[...] on ceF…miso maple scallops grilled tuna with oregano and panelleavec (!), blackbird and charlie trotter’stoasted farro, fennel [...]

• 18 melissa // Sep 4, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Maybe prettier in person, but I think the pictures do it justice enough since I can completely imagine the taste upon biting into one. I love that you threw in the last of your pancetta. Pork is always the best final touch. ;)

I also cook scallops aplenty, without posting about them, and am always looking for new ways to make them. Noble Pig had that great champagne grape/shallot version a few weeks back and that’s up next.

• 19 White On Rice Couple // Sep 5, 2008 at 1:47 am

Miso is amazing. I call it an “unami” miracle for food. I’ve yet to try it on scallops, which I absolutely adore too. This is a “must” dish, possibly even a “daily” dish if I can afford to eat it every day!
    Thanks Claudia!

• 20 Kevin // Sep 5, 2008 at 5:47 am

I really like the sound of the miso and maple combo!

• 21 The Culinary Sherpas // Sep 5, 2008 at 9:26 pm

You know, we’ve realized that we need to put a cook book out just for you Claudia. Because you are the only one we know who is willing to try our experiments. We always say they are good, but you never know. You never really know if it is going to be a sick joke. You know, where you are left in your panties, puking in the bathroom while crying into your snot soaked sleeve.

• 22 Robert // Sep 6, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Great sear on the scallops. The flavor sounds delicious.

Wanna hear something that just irks the hell out of me? I can get Red King Crab clusters cheaper than good scallops.

• 23 lifeinrecipes // Sep 7, 2008 at 7:26 am

To Hillary: I have long been professing my unabashed adoration for miso; blogged about it here back in Feb. http://lifeinrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/02/whole-wheat-spaghetti-with-kale-and.html

• 24 Jamie // Sep 10, 2008 at 6:16 pm

So I’ve been indulging in scallops all summer because :
    a. I’ve just discovered that I’m in love with them
    b. I’m about to move from New England to Nashville

I was afraid my delicate seafood days were coming to an end, but there is hope!! Please tell me where, oh where, can I find the best scallops in town?

• 25 Sophie // Oct 6, 2008 at 3:09 pm

I’ve had salmon with maple but not scallops, it sounds really delicious though :)!

• 26 cook eat FRET - sea scallops with cauliflower puree and granny smith sauce // Oct 17, 2008 at 11:48 am

[...] yes, scallops again. and again and again. have i mentioned how we love them over here? and have you seen the scallops [...]