foie gras with a miso maple cherry sauce and crispy shallots

September 3rd, 2008 · 34 Comments

i had to give you the entire name of this little dish in the post title.  because i wanted to hit you with full impact…  because foie gras is a full impact kinda dish and well, god, i love this stuff… so.  much.

you see i had about 3 tablespoons of leftover miso maple sauce from the scallops, so i saved it with no good reason in mind, except that it was absolutely wonderful and i couldn’t imagine tossing it.  surely i could come up with a way to use it.  i mean, it was the weekend and friends were coming over and all i had to do was try and BE CREATIVE.

these days when i cook dinner there is rarely an appetizer or an hors d’oeuvre (bitch of a word to spell, no?), especially if i am serving dessert.  i might have a bowl of olives out – or some roasted nuts to serve along with the first glass of wine, but i don’t like to over feed my guests or detract from the main attraction.  as with most things, i believe i have learned this the hard way.

but exceptions have to made and i had a small but nice chunk of foie gras in my freezer from this past new years eve, just waiting for the right moment.  in a moment of quasi-inspiration, i called my friends and asked them to pick up a baguette, and as the foie defrosted i took my leftover sauce of sherry vinegar, miso and maple syrup and began to heat it gently while i removed the stones from the half forgotten cherries hidden in my fridge.  slicing them into quarters, they went into the pan along with about a teaspoon of sugar and when the cherries released most of their juice i shut off the burner.

i thinly sliced about 5 shallots and fried them in canola oil until they turned brown and crisp.  they were drained on paper towels and sprinkled with my guerende salt.

to avoid smoking up the house with duck fat, i’ve taken to putting a cast iron pan on my gas grill and searing foie gras outside.  the baguettes were sliced and brushed with olive oil, grilled on the grates and then plated with first the sauce, then the foie and then the crispy shallots.

talk about leftovers…

Tags: foie gras

• 1 Vincent // Sep 3, 2008 at 8:02 pm

be honest – did you have to google hors d’oeuvre to spell it right?

anyway, pardon the language but this looks fucking retardedly good. i’m so hungry now…foie has a weird power over me.

• 2 Traci @ Soup of The Day // Sep 3, 2008 at 8:05 pm

I bet THAT was good! Foie and Maple!

• 3 maybelles mom (feeding maybelle) // Sep 3, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Damn, you live the life! In comparison, I had fancied up beans and rice for dinner.

• 4 Robert // Sep 3, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Leftovers are not supposed to be that good. Somehow you cheated.

Not fair!

• 5 Jeff // Sep 3, 2008 at 9:17 pm

C — oh, wow. You hit it on all cylinders with this one for me. Just. Wonderful. This dish would make a nice boy like me do very, very bad things. If that’s what you wanted!

J

• 6 Amy at Minimally Invasive // Sep 4, 2008 at 4:05 am

:: whimper ::

• 7 TaratheFoodie // Sep 4, 2008 at 7:18 am

I LOVE foi gras, but I’ve never prepared it myself at home. Is there anything special you have to do to it, or is it just a matter of seasoning with salt/pepper and searing it? How long do you cook it? I feel like an idiot when it comes to this subject because I’ve only eaten it in restaurants and I’ve never even seen anyone prepare it.

• 8 Donald // Sep 4, 2008 at 7:23 am

That looks great Claudia.

I have no idea how that would taste though. I have never had foie gras. :-(

• 9 Tommy Noodles // Sep 4, 2008 at 9:55 am

Nothing goes to waste…I should have a price on sheeps milk ricotta, so they say ,today.

• 10 Jennifer Hess // Sep 4, 2008 at 9:58 am

What Amy said.

• 11 Julia // Sep 4, 2008 at 10:51 am

That looks incredible. I don’t know many home cooks that tackle foie gras at home… Kudos to you!

• 12 Lindaloohoo // Sep 4, 2008 at 11:45 am

damn.
    i’m intimidated just looking at the pictures. and reading the words with all those syllables.
    so i scrolled down to see if there was anything in another post that i could maybe make.
    damn. nope.
    cooking is like magic. and i’m no magician. it appears you may be houdini.

• 13 ponyboat // Sep 4, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Congrats on a beautifully composed dish! I don’t eat the foie gras anymore, but I’d love to try the scallops with that sauce (I am free Thursday!). Anyway, I think you win the leftover prize with this one!

• 14 jennifer // Sep 4, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I thought I was good with leftovers…You are now my leftover goddess. That’s a brilliant dish!

• 15 jodycakes // Sep 4, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Okay….you’re right…the full title stopped me dead in my tracks.
    This is AWESOME…I can taste the bottom pic
    ::wipes drool off keyboard::

• 16 RecipeGirl // Sep 4, 2008 at 10:27 pm

I’ve yet to have it… Sounds fab!

• 17 Heather // Sep 4, 2008 at 10:40 pm

I think my stomach just did a little somersault. Like the kind you get when you see your lover unexpectedly. The miso-cherry sauce sounds like a dream (as do those scallops).

• 18 democommie // Sep 5, 2008 at 5:57 am

Vincent:

Your language is appalling! “Good”? WTF do you mean “good”? It’s FRExcecellent!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (and I’ve never even HAD foie gras). I’m sure that gas grill of yours is probably 250K btu, but you could also heat the pan on the range and then just pick it up with a properly gloved hand and walk outside, yes?

I’m sorry I’ve been remiss in visiting, but I’ve been putting my madskilz for cooking and carpentry to work under the car. Donchaknow that the week the inspection sticker expires is the week that a bunch of stuff falls off!

Have you ever done the thing with scallops (big ass divers scallops) where you dredge them in a mixture of brown sugar, ground chilis and whatevah (top and bottom only) and sear them for about two minutes each side?

• 19 Lynn // Sep 5, 2008 at 9:35 am

I have nothing but drool over here.

• 20 ElZorro // Sep 5, 2008 at 11:26 am

And BTW, she had enough for each guest to have TWO pieces…

What made it extra-delish was the crispy shallots, which provided a great layer of texture

And you just wait until she writes about the main dish…

• 21 Eric // Sep 5, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I want some. NOW

• 22 The Culinary Sherpas // Sep 5, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Hmmmm, I’ll see your five and raise you five hundred, Trebeck.

The Miso Maple Wars BEGIN!

• 23 Marc @ NoRecipes // Sep 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Wow that looks amazing! As much as I love Foie Gras, I’ve never actually thought to make it at home. Do you order yours online?

• 24 The Culinary Sherpas // Sep 5, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Oh, we forgot to warn you that it becomes addictive after awhile. First it’s scallops, then it’s foie gras, then maybe ice cream and next thing you know…it’s corn flakes.

Oh, and we love you. Completely.

• 25 Kim // Sep 6, 2008 at 8:29 am

I am a fan of miso Claudia so this sounds good, though I too must confess I have never had Foie Gras! So feeling like I have lived a sheltered life.

• 26 MangerLaVille // Sep 6, 2008 at 9:37 am

That is a really good idea, about putting your pan on the grill. Sometimes smells just won’t get out of your house. This looks indulgent and delicious.

• 27 We Are Never Full // Sep 6, 2008 at 1:42 pm

whoa. words can’t really express what i’m feeling about this post. absolute indulgence.

• 28 The Italian Dish // Sep 6, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Now this is cooking. I’m truly impressed. Taking the great ingredients you have on hand and letting your creativity rule. I applaud you. I just wish I could have tasted it.

• 29 chefectomy // Sep 6, 2008 at 10:54 pm

It’s sounds (and looks) so obnoxiously good. Can’t wait to make the “Friends are coming over” list…

–Marc

• 30 lifeinrecipes // Sep 7, 2008 at 7:44 am

Again, what I said about miso making everything better. Surf to turf without a hitch.

If I had foie in the house I’d be having this for breakfast….wait, I have some leftover chicken liver/calvados/walnut mousse that just might do the trick in a different way.

• 31 Brittany // Sep 8, 2008 at 11:49 am

Probably the sexiest treatment of fois gras i’ve seen in a long time.
    Wish I’d been there!

• 32 michelle @ TNS // Sep 10, 2008 at 2:21 pm

are you shitting me? tell me you’re shitting me. because i just posted a BLT on my blog, and i gotta tell you, i’m really feeling the shame here.

• 33 Peter // Sep 18, 2008 at 9:42 am

OK, you’re officially forbidden to leave any more self-deprecating comments on my blog. Jeez.

• 34 zenchef // Sep 18, 2008 at 11:29 pm

What a beauty! Damn!
    This is real love right there! :-)