batali’s fettuccine with oyster mushrooms

May 3rd, 2008 · 51 Comments

this pasta is everything that is wonderful about italian cooking.  a short ingredient list with a big result - and all in about 15 minutes, including the 2 or 3 that it takes to boil the fresh pasta.  of course, being that i am now an ace pasta maker, i am forcing the stuff down the throat of everyone i know, and so far no one is complaining – although it’s bound to happen soon.  but not with this particular dish.  this one is all mario and as one might expect, he knocks it out of the park.

the pasta dough took about 1 lb. of flour and 5 eggs.  i can’t stress emphatically enough how much i love these 3 kitchenaid rollers.  i am making my own freakin’ pasta and it is so very not hard to do.  i even really kinda get off on the whole process.  it feels good.  it’s meditative, even cathartic.  if you regularly make pasta – and why wouldn’t you, you can then cancel your weekly therapist appointment.  and that right there will save you a ton of cash that you can now put towards buying the KA  rollers, working out your ‘issues’ by kneading the dough, with feeling – elongating not only the gluten fibers, but possibly your very own existence.  so, just make pasta.  it will improve your life in more ways then you could ever imagine.  just look at all it has done for me.

and then when your pasta is rolled and ready - then make this recipe right away.  because it is a smashing dish that will surprise the hell out of you, and whoever’s expecting dinner that night.

fettuccine with oyster mushrooms, sweet garlic and arugula
lightly adapted from mario batali’s
molte italiano

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
15 cloves garlic
2/3 cup cinzano rossi or any sweet red vermouth
10 ounces oyster mushrooms = trimmed
4 T unsalted butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch arugula, stemmed, washed and dried
1/3 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese

bring 6 qts of water and 2 T salt to a boil in a large pot

meanwhile, in a 10 – 12" sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until almost smoking.  add the garlic and sauté until lightly browned on all sides.  remove from heat and add the vermouth.  replace the pan onto the burner, add the mushrooms and butter, and bring to a boil.  reduce by half then remove from the heat and keep warm.

cook the pasta until tender and then drain. add to the mushrooms and stir gently over medium heat for about 1 minute to coat the noodles.  add the arugula and toss until wilted. transfer to serving dish and toss with the cheese.

this is one of those dishes where everyone will think you are a brilliant and talented cook.  but in reality it really wasn’t you at all…

it was my boy, mario…

Tags: mushrooms · pasta

• 1 Chris // May 4, 2008 at 1:51 am

I love the colors here.
    The pasta rollers are on my list of must have doodads. And given my recent introduction to egg pasta I know I need them soon.
    Great shot.

• 2 Donald // May 4, 2008 at 2:27 am

Outstanding Claudia!

But, where’s the guanciale? Or the pancetta? C’mon now, that gorgeous dish needs some pork fat, yes? :-)

• 3 amy @ minimally invasive // May 4, 2008 at 5:21 am

Sooooo beautiful, Claudia. I can almost taste those oyster mushrooms.

Stop with the arm twisting — I give up! I’ll order the pasta rollers today!

• 4 Mal Carne // May 4, 2008 at 7:42 am

I spend a lot of my time when watching food tv saying things like “really? did you really just tell somebody to do that? why are you teaching people to make food that sucks?”. This has NEVER happened with Mario. He is the real deal.

This dish looks outstanding. Simple, deadly effective.

• 5 diva // May 4, 2008 at 7:54 am

oh i really love oyster mushrooms. I always make sure I get more than everyone else! this sounds lovely. that fettucini looks awesome.x

• 6 newscoma // May 4, 2008 at 9:09 am

Jeez, that looks delicious. I love oyster mushrooms too.
    And damn if it isn’t just pretty.

• 7 Stephanie // May 4, 2008 at 9:33 am

I can’t take it! I’ve gone on ebay and bid for the KitchenAid Pasta Roller set…only the auction doesn’t end until…wait, if I let everyone on here know when it ends, they can all go and bid on it too! Gotta be cut throat on ebay!

• 8 Marc @ NoRecipes // May 4, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Ummmm…. yumm! I agree with Mal Carne. Batali’s my hero.

• 9 Mary Coleman // May 4, 2008 at 2:44 pm

That looks fabulous, Claudia! You are the pasta making queen!

• 10 Vincent // May 4, 2008 at 2:59 pm

2 things…wait 3 things…

First, it looks awesome.

Second, thanks for posting a recipe that uses vermouth. I use it quite a bit in my home and professional kitchen and it adds a depth to dishes that wine can’t – some vermouths are made with over 50 herbs!

And C…I’m glad to see you touch on the pasta making in general. You are right on the therapeutic result in the process and have shown a glimpse of what a chef feels when smitten with “the vapors” of cooking. The first time I made fresh pasta (I was 20 years old) it didn’t turn out very well, my Italian Grandfather told me it sucked (among other things like “women make pasta in Italia, Vicenz”) and it did suck. And it kept me awake that night, and I have cooked professionally ever since.

• 11 Peter // May 4, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Fresh pasta is so much fun. But I think I agree with Donald. Where’s the lardo?

• 12 robin // May 4, 2008 at 3:40 pm

You’ve convinced me, Claudia. I’m going to make my own pasta.

• 13 Peter // May 4, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Ahhh, beautiful simplicity…the vermouth must have sent this to the moon!

• 14 giz // May 4, 2008 at 4:07 pm

So easy, really good looking and totally satisfying – geez …better than a man.

Although I get where you’re coming from, I doubt I could cancel my weekly therapy but the meditative and cathartic value make me go Ommmm

• 15 Laura @ Hungry and Frozen // May 4, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Ohhh that looks all golden and beautiful and delicious. Want!! I too love recipes that use Vermouth as I bought an expensive bottle of the stuff for cooking and like to justify its existense…

• 16 melissa // May 4, 2008 at 8:42 pm

SO *delicious*

I’m with robin. and you’ve definitely been motivating in that department. now I just gotta spend the money on the gadgets…

• 17 [eatingclub] vancouver || js // May 4, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Another fresh pasta post! You’re killing me here! And this is the one dish that I’ve been dying to try from the _Molto Italiano_ book.

Looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing.

And.

You *are* a brilliant and talented cook.

• 18 Brittany // May 5, 2008 at 3:13 am

God Batali Rocks. His dad owns a little fancy pants Italian deli not far from my house called Salumi . He makes these pulled pork sanwiches that are pretty much orgasms on a bun. Must be something in the genes, they are both brilliant.
    I want that pasta. Now.

• 19 rebekka // May 5, 2008 at 9:59 am

Hi! I just randomly came across your blog, and wanted to say hello. I am in Nashville too…this pasta looks amazing. I am currently obsessed with the spring pastas in Chez Panisse “Pizza Pasta Calzone” cookbook…have you ever cooked from that? wow. Nice to meet you!

• 20 We Are Never Full // May 5, 2008 at 9:59 am

looks great. we make something similar but use a hint of marsala but love the idea of the vermouth! fab-u-lous. you go girl using those pasta rollers!

• 21 jim voorhies // May 5, 2008 at 10:04 am

You are now officially a pasta babe! Looks great. but with that much garlic, how could it not be…..

• 22 rebekka // May 5, 2008 at 10:04 am

Hi! I just randomly came across your blog, and wanted to say hello. I am in Nashville too…this pasta looks amazing. I am currently obsessed with the spring pastas in Chez Panisse “Pizza Pasta Calzone” cookbook…have you ever cooked from that? wow. ..Nice to meet you!

• 23 rebekka // May 5, 2008 at 10:06 am

Sorry for the double comment, what I was TRYING to say was have you been to Lazzaorli’s pasta yet?

• 24 mimi // May 5, 2008 at 11:18 am

i am just dying to get a kitchenaid roller to make my own pasta!! your dish looks absolutely delish and i will definitely try this next time i get some fresh mushrooms at the market!

• 25 Heather // May 5, 2008 at 11:21 am

I like vermouth, too. I also really like Batali, who has totally kept it real despite Food Network stardom. :)

Have you ever tried king oyster mushrooms? They have ‘em at the Asian grocery near my house, and they’re really great.

• 26 Cindy // May 5, 2008 at 12:08 pm

How delicious!

• 27 Lesley // May 5, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Hey, another vegetarian dish! Looks delicious. And I was just telling the Significant Omnivore last night that if we got married, we could register for a KitchenAid. I think he said he’d rather just go ahead and buy me one. Eh.

• 28 Jessica // May 5, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Looks really yummy, the perfect meal!

• 29 RecipeGirl // May 5, 2008 at 4:53 pm

You made your own pasta? Wow, I’m impressed. I love those mushrooms. I love this dish!

• 30 michelle @ TNS // May 5, 2008 at 5:34 pm

i need those rollers. how do i not already have them? i need them like i need bacon.

• 31 lifeinrecipes // May 5, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Funny, you don’t love to bake, but you rock at pasta – I’m the flip of that. I can just taste this picture….and the clam sauce – wonderful.

• 32 nina // May 6, 2008 at 7:25 am

I agree, making pasta is the real therapy…this recipe just up to first place on my to-do-list.

• 33 claudia // May 6, 2008 at 11:35 am

to one and all – i am obviously the #1 worst blog owner/comment responder there is in the whole wide blogoshere. and for this i apologize. forgive me. it’s not that i don’t love you because i so very do…

i’m just, well, a ‘time challenged’ sufferer. i have enough time, i just allocate poorly.

you know the type, right?

• 34 fluffernutter // May 6, 2008 at 11:41 am

I’m with lifeinrecipes — made pasta twice, enjoyed it, but baking is easier. We’re off carbs at our house these days (except for beer, of course) so you can’t imagine how good these look to me.

• 35 Robert // May 6, 2008 at 11:51 am

Actually….. If you always kept up your usual impossible pace of being #1 (in a good way), we’d be more concerned.

• 36 jim voorhies // May 6, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Fluffernutter, if she took up baking with the same resolve she does pasta and fat back, none of the rest of us would bother cooking any more – except to keep starvation from the door, of course. Sorry about the no carbs, but at least you did make the proper exception…

• 37 Kevin // May 6, 2008 at 6:51 pm

That pasta sounds really good! I really like the use of all that garlic…mmm…

• 38 Razor Family Farms // May 6, 2008 at 10:02 pm

You had me at fettuccine! Gorgeous!

Blessings!
    Lacy

• 39 The Spotted Apron // May 7, 2008 at 10:31 am

oh man – i love it! mushroom sauces are the best. Looks wonderful.

• 40 TaratheFoodie // May 7, 2008 at 7:00 pm

I WILL be making this. Oh yes, it will be mine. That last picture literally made me contemplate licking the screen.

• 41 naomi // May 8, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Hey Claudia,
    I’m nominating you for an E for excellence award for the fabulousness of your blog and the mouthwatering food you share with us in such an eloquent and amusing way.

The badge is on my blog sidebar if you fancy dispalying it – just copy and paste the jpeg, or I can send it to you. If not, then just know that I think you’re swell honey.

x x x

• 42 christey // May 13, 2008 at 5:59 pm

i have wanted to make my own pasta for about8 years now (and i do NOT cook) but i think i may be close. i really need a roller thing, well that and ambition, i suppose ;) anyhow you make it sound so easy and look so good that i feel that day is very very soon….. stay tuned… :D

• 43 Gayle // May 21, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Which “crazy olives” are you speaking of?

• 44 Sophie // Jun 9, 2008 at 12:15 pm

I’m Sophie, Key Ingredient’s Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this adapted recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Sophie

• 45 The Back Burner » Blog Archive » Fettuccine with Mushrooms, Sweet Garlic, and Arugula // Jun 11, 2008 at 4:55 pm

[...] went so far as to make her own pasta! That’s an amazing feat, in my opinion. But in her blog, Cook Eat FRET, she explains that it really isn’t that daunting of a task. I love how she compares it to [...]

• 46 Lamberto // Aug 1, 2008 at 3:45 pm

“bring 6 qts of water and 2 T salt to a boil in a large pot”??? C’mon!!! Season that water properly!!!

• 47 cook eat FRET - toasted farro, fennel and orange salad // Aug 21, 2008 at 6:58 pm

[...] percorino, or ricotta and egg yolk, or creme fraiche and truffle oil, or walnuts and mushrooms, or mushrooms sweet garlic and arugula, or even just garlic and olive oil – ok ok, i love pasta and could come up with countless meatless [...]

• 48 cook eat FRET - sweet potato with king oyster mushrooms, guanciale and a poached egg // Nov 14, 2008 at 2:46 am

[...] handmade pasta and well, it really was a lot of fun. we made 3 dishes – a sweet potato tortellini, batali’s fettuccine capricciose and the roman classic, amatraciana with an extruded [...]

• 49 White On Rice Couple // Nov 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm

It’s been a while since we’ve made fresh pasta, what a great reminder here to do so!
    This dish is just comfort in a bowl for this time of year!

• 50 Monique // Feb 26, 2009 at 7:58 am

When I started Al Dente Pasta Company 30 years ago it was especially for people who loved Egg Fettuccine, Northern Italian Style pasta but would not always have the time to make it themselves. For those times, try Al Dente-cooks in just 3 minutes, rolled out with a big version of the kitchen aid rollers you use-tastes exactly like fresh.If not in your local store: http://www.aldentepasta.com.

• 51 Jen // Apr 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Just found your site while searching for a recipe for the oyster mushrooms I got at the farmers market this morning. Made this for dinner tonight (admittedly with store-bought fresh pasta), and it was wonderful. So tasty. I’m having a very hard time not chomping the leftovers right now. Thanks!