yellow eye beans with sweet potato and benton’s bacon

May 1st, 2008 · 28 Comments

…and a pork chop.

but in this instance, who cares?  not me, that’s who.  it was a run-of-the-mill chop from ‘the fresh market’, and personally, i can always take or leave these kind of pork chops.  cary’s a fan, so i pick some up on occasion.  but those beans?  you’d have to fight me for those beans..  rancho gordo – all the way… yellow eyes cooked with sweet potatoes, fresh thyme and a solid lb. of tennessee’s finest – salty, smoky ‘benton’s bacon’.  it is the burgundy of bacon’s…  a straight forward cure of brown sugar, salt and pepper - with a heavy-handed hickory smoke.  on a BLT it would be sheer perfection.  i’m keeping a package in the freezer in anticipation of summer tomatoes.  so don’t even waste your time trying to sweet talk me out of it…

the yellow eyes are a creamy, dense bean.  and totally cool looking.  if this bean were a man, i’d do him in a ny minute.

not that i like dense men… because i don’t.

(from rg’s site, i present to you the pulchritudinous and dense-in-a-good-way, yellow eye bean…)

the salad was on another plate.  sorry to deprive you of the much needed greenness.  i kinda wasn’t thinking.  it happens.  a lot.  but so you know, it was a simple toss of romaine and radicchio with toasted walnut oil and guerande salt.

just close your eyes and pretend…

Tags: bacon · beans · pork

• 1 aforkfulofspaghetti // May 2, 2008 at 1:58 am

Oh. God. Yes. Can you send some over??

• 2 Laura @ Hungry and Frozen // May 2, 2008 at 2:44 am

“pulchritudinous” – I never hear that word used enough, so I doff my hat to you…I’ve never heard of yellow eyed beans but they certainly look tasty.

• 3 Donald // May 2, 2008 at 3:58 am

Another is the set of such a versatile bean. I just made a pot of their pintos. Two weeks ago, I’d made some pintos from the supermarket. Need I say there was no comparison?

Don’t they make the best pot liquor?

• 4 Diana // May 2, 2008 at 6:15 am

Don’t you guys SLEEP?

Yellow-eyed beans look beautiful! Love the idea of sweet potato and bacon.

I’m with you on pork chops. Jon loves them, but I was over-chopped as a child. Now I think “dry + tasteless” whenever I see a chop. If a protein needs so much gussying up to make it edible, is it worth the dead animal? I’d be interested to try one of those farm-raised varieties.

• 5 Robert // May 2, 2008 at 6:22 am

“it is the burgundy of bacon’s… a straight forward cure of brown sugar, salt and pepper – with a heavy-handed hickory smoke”

It isnt every day one gets to hear a pretty gal talk smokehouse…………….MMMMMM

• 6 Kim // May 2, 2008 at 6:44 am

Bacon and beans this so sounds like a good home cooked Yankee dish. I so have to order the ingredients today. Like you, I would skip the chop and feast on the bacon beans and a nice salad.
    I bet it is good the next day for breakfast?

• 7 Peter // May 2, 2008 at 7:00 am

Those beans look awesome. We’re t-minus about 5 days on the bacon over here. My cure was less straightforward.

Want some lardo?

• 8 doug // May 2, 2008 at 7:40 am

btw, you can pick up some of that bacon at Mitchell’s Deli in Inglewood – and they make a find blt.

• 9 doug // May 2, 2008 at 7:46 am

i mean, fine.

• 10 amy @ minimally invasive // May 2, 2008 at 8:08 am

I find chops a little meh, too, but beans cooked with a pound of smoky bacon — when should I come over?

• 11 Chris // May 2, 2008 at 8:16 am

Growing up in the south didn’t expose me to anything overly impressive from the world of beans, but you have done so at least twice in the last month. I think cassoulet or some other bean dish is in my future.

• 12 We Are Never Full // May 2, 2008 at 10:07 am

love the picture of those dried beans. i’ve gotta remember that bean recipe. sounds like it would go great w/ some ribs.

• 13 The Urban Eater // May 2, 2008 at 10:33 am

Hmmmmmmm…bacon and sweet potatoes.
    Two of life’s little rewards.
    Claudia you have enlightened me. I, a Southern girl, had never heard of yellow-eyed beans.
    I LOVE the heirloom site. I can see a lot of orders in my future.

• 14 evil chef mom // May 2, 2008 at 10:38 am

please please please would you part with some of that bacon?

• 15 Peter // May 2, 2008 at 11:20 am

I’ve never seen these beans before, I’ll be on the lookout for’em.

• 16 Jennifer Hess // May 2, 2008 at 11:38 am

Oh, man. I might have to steal this idea for my bag of Yellow Eyes. ;)

• 17 Lesley // May 2, 2008 at 12:31 pm

What’s the difference between a pea and a bean, I wonder. A yellow eye or a black eye?

The peas and potatoes mix would make a good component of a bento lunch!

• 18 melissa // May 2, 2008 at 12:36 pm

you make them sound so good. and they do look way cool.

still have rancho gordo beans on my list…

• 19 Holiday Grinch // May 2, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Have you tried Benton’s prosciutto? I read about it about 2 yrs ago in Bon Appetit and ordered it right away. It’s strong, like country ham. Thanks for the reminder to order their bacon for BLT season. (and BLTA’s…avocado). YUM.
    So nice to have met you at IF, we need to meet and eat sometime.

• 20 Vincent // May 2, 2008 at 11:04 pm

Are they good for your heart?

I mean the more you eat, of course…

• 21 Robert // May 3, 2008 at 8:42 am

Vincent,

Pleeasse dont egg her on…….

• 22 democommie // May 3, 2008 at 9:11 am

A pound of bacon? Did Cary get any? I mean, that’s like a single serving, no?

I been eatin’ on ham and sweet padadas with brown rice for the last couple of days. Not nearly as good ham (Gwaltneys) or as elegant but, ummmmm, good.

• 23 Kevin // May 3, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Beans with sweet potatoes and tasty bacon sounds like a great combo.

• 24 LINA // May 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Pork, beans, sweet potato… what more can you ask for?

• 25 annie // May 6, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I want to know how to make the beans. Am I the only person who can’t figure out how to make the beans? Do I just cook the beans and make mashed sweet potatoes and mix them? Please tell me; I want some. I will even order them from RG and everything.

• 26 ms. cuppycakes // May 7, 2008 at 9:16 am

yum! it was nice seeing you last wednesday at the “iron fork”! can i order dinner from you since you can order cupcakes from me:)

• 27 Tupperware Avalanche » Blog Archive » Carry it home in a tow sack // May 31, 2008 at 5:29 pm

[...] my view into my neighbor’s window, I spotted poke sallet by the fence. Well, I was as excited as my friend cookeatFRET is when she’s expecting an expensive foodstuff in the mail. A good-size patch of poke sallet [...]

• 28 Heather // Jun 9, 2008 at 11:36 am

How did I miss this? And you did use the p-word!

Beans and bacon are so wonderful together. Those are some handsome beans.