FRET 5

October 5th, 2007 · 9 Comments

lardo.jpg

(lardo di colonnata from tuscany)

i try to keep these FRET’s to a minimum but the truth is that if you knew how much of my life this fretting thing consumes you’d probably find me to be kinda screwed up and possibly wouldn’t like me anymore.  assuming of course, you ever liked me at all.

i’m one of those folks that can pack on fat – and quickly.  to stay at a reasonable weight i need to eat very little.  my body operates best on small amounts of very clean food.  i’m sure this is a human condition – but look, some of you are just luckier in this department and can get away with more.  like my guy, which is the one reason to sometimes resent him.  not that he doesn’t watch it and obsessively weigh himself daily.  but he has a lot more wiggle room when it comes to ordering dessert than i do…

the curse runs rampant through my family.  and it’s all due to what i’d easily call a rather sick relationship with food.  it is a true addiction and it’s been passed down through generations.  not only are we plate cleaners but we do it with such flourish as not to leave a morsel from our second helpings.

cut to one of my favorite jewish jokes:  mrs. goldstein is talking to her friend mrs. greenberg about a restaurant she ate in the night before.  her comment - ”the food was absolutely horrible, and the portions were sooooo small…”

that about sums up how i was raised.

and i could write the book.  how to eat, what to eat – every tip, every in-the-know way to get/stay lean.  i have done it all.  and more.  seriously.  no really really.  i win in this category.  really.

but with all i ‘know’ -  it’s pretty much all in the ‘doing’.  and i am inconsistent, to say the very least and i am ashamed of myself for being so weak in the presence of food.  i wake up panicked – literally i open my eyes and think – “oh no” as i envision the great clothes hanging in my closet, and my selection growing smaller as my waistline expands.

the biking helps on so many levels.  but unless you’re lance armstrong and on the bike for hours, burning through every calorie, it’s not the exercise that will ultimately slim you down. it’s the reduction of those calories.  it’s pretty simple math.

i’ve always had this dream that lying would make you fat – not fettucine alfredo…

Tags: FRET · not food

• 1 FireDog // Oct 5, 2007 at 1:01 pm

I hear ya Sista’. Ok, I’m probrably not getting any simpathy because I’m a guy. Clearly gals have more of a challenge with keeping off fat because of encoded DNA over thousands of years having to do with conceiving, carying and giving birth to children. I’m sure you knew that.
    What’s my point. My ass is getting fat. After 40 it just got harder too keep it off. I’m fairly disciplined and have a pretty good excersize program like you do but it’s still a challenge. Eat less, excersize more. Yo-yo. I’m not as vein as I used to be but I don’t want to wear a pup tent for trousers either. I’ll keep walking the tight wire…… Oh, by the way You Look Marvelous!

• 2 Flora // Oct 7, 2007 at 9:10 pm

Coming from the same family that loves food whose members have shall we say “food and weight issues”, your new blog site is really impressive, informative and is very well done. Congratulations – I look forward to reading more of your philosophy and advice. My doctor once told me that there are many programs “out there” asking for your money to show the way to lose weight, but it comes down to this……”eat less and exercise!” Part of the problem with Americans in particular, is that our portions are out of whack, especially when eating out. Better to share the entree, or take a box of leftovers home for the next day’s lunch. Exercise – even 30 minutes a day will help – find something you really like to do and you will look forward to it. I know you love the bicycling; for me it’s walking on a treadmill with a headphone plugged into the local jazz station, which has just the right tempos for walking. I’m sure the Nashville country music is great too!

Using the best ingredients one can buy when cooking is good advice from you- often it doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be a zillion time more costly.

Highly recommended for more advice and simple, and good recipes – http://www.hungrygirl.com

All the best – and good luck with all that you’re doing, and reaching a wider audience!

• 3 claudia // Oct 9, 2007 at 5:40 pm

fire dog – when are ya gonna let me cook dinner for you and elizabeth?

hi aunt flora – it’s definitely a lifelong battle… i just hate it. thanks for checking in! love to all.

• 4 FireDog // Oct 11, 2007 at 9:40 am

I can’t wait!! I’m gonna find a time when we’re both in town and bring a great wine.
    Thanks

• 5 Elizabeth // Oct 11, 2007 at 6:03 pm

Ooh! Ooh! I’m here I’m here! Please save me a seat! That tomato paella looks completely off the chart. I know, I am not commenting under the right entry, so sue me.

Hang in there girl, I am back on clean food since Monday, and I am already feeling better. You’ve GOT to get off this pasta kick.

• 6 claudia // Oct 12, 2007 at 11:35 am

firedog – say when

elizabeth – consider yourself sued. pasta is my greatest love/enemy.

• 7 Music City Bloggers » Blog Archive » Bottarga Matata // Oct 15, 2007 at 3:00 pm

[...] to simple meals makes her a go-to blog when RUABelle and I are looking for food inspiration. Her turn of a phrase and excellent photographic composition of her meal beauty shots make Cook-Eat-Fret something akin [...]

• 8 fluffernutter // Oct 16, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Wait a minute. I drank too much last Friday and don’t remember everything — did I write this entry? Because it could sure be me, down to the bike. Life isn’t fair, especially to the dumpy.

• 9 claudia // Oct 17, 2007 at 7:20 am

fluff – i am soooo pissed at meeeee