i heart bagna cauda

March 9th, 2009 · 1,419 Comments

the literal translation of bagna cauda means warm bath. but in my world bagna cauda is a truly delectable warm and sexy mixture of anchovy, garlic, butter and olive oil in which to dip vegetables, bread and really whatever else you deem appropriate. because dear readers, i am not here to judge you and you certainly don’t need to report back to me…. but just so you know, i personally settled upon baking more of the wine infused batali pizza dough, this batch completely unadorned and fortified with a cup of ‘white whole wheat’ flour, along with simply grilled tiger shrimp, raw celery stalks, chunks of red and yellow bell peppers, radicchio and endive. sadly, there were no cardoons in sight. had there been i would’ve been even happier than i already was – if that could have been possible.

i finally bought a can of "real" anchovies, unlike that unrealized inferior product that comes in little tins and jars. this is the industrial sized can from italy. the kind that real chefs use. because although i am a hack, i still want my food to be as good as i can make it. and since i’m only willing to go so far, i wind up relying heavily on the best ingredients i can get my hands on. you can pretty much fool all of the people all of the time with this method of cooking. take that, abe.

so let’s talk about this whole anchovy business, shall we?

this is a very large and empty can that once housed a school of sicilian anchovies weighing in at one kilo.

i forgot to take a shot of the full can, if only so i could show you the salt packed anchovies all neatly crisscrossed in rows. i only used about 8 of the little fish and the rest quickly went into a container and were covered with olive oil to keep them relatively oxygen free and ready for action at my beck and call – for the next 2 years – which is about how long it’ll take me to go through them. AND by the way you have to chop off the tails and remove their guts and backbone. i was not aware of this prior to my $28 purchase. but if i had it all to do over again, i’d snap up a can of this fishy goodness in a ny minute. they are barely comparable to what i’ve used in the past…. and if mario were god, and if god were in heaven – he’d be smiling down at me. as it stands now he has no real idea that i exist which – funny enough, is how i feel about god…

but i digress…

so i made the bread. and then i made the bagna cauda. after that i chopped up the peppers and grilled the shrimp. the spread got laid out on my table along with the lettuces and a damn fine bottle of barbera (2006 agostino pavia & figli barbera d’asti ‘blina’) that at $16 just thrilled me. and it was uncorked. and then we ate. and it perhaps wasn’t a gorgeous spread, inappropriate for even a novice photo shoot such as this – but it was incredibly good to eat. of this much i can assure you.

naturally, the calories were relatively high but i had eaten sparsely (again) that day, and once again reigning it way back the next. but it felt like clean food. i felt really good after i ate. and after weighing myself yesterday i’m down about 11 lbs in 6 weeks… so in 4 months i should be me again. and i will have done it without torturing myself. torture is bad. when it comes to myself i have a total no torture policy, though i make no guarantees what i am capable of doing to you.

and back by popular demand: grace, the amazing growing puppy – at 14 weeks.

(she’s all mine and you can’t have her…)

Tags: bread · fish · seafood · vegetables

1,419 responses so far ↓

• 1 entdecken sie mehr hier // Jun 5, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Zu verführerisch men masturbating war das Schauspiel, was sich mir gerade bot., rief ich und mein Ruf wurde bis deren Garderobe den Männern weitergeben.

• 2 standortverknuepfung // Jun 5, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Profil&Kontakt Meine Schwiegermutter nerft uns am laufen den Band.Ihre Tochter sagt schon immer was das soll leicht bekleidet umher zu laufen,und den noch mit Seidenen und durchsichtigen Nachthemd.

• 3 her response // Jun 6, 2017 at 11:36 am

This Replens Long-lasting Vaginal Moisturizer With Reusable Applicator, 14 Applications, 1.23oz Was Reviewed By T-Lady. Are you seeking for a long-lasting Vaginal Moisturizer that is Estrogen Free? Or maybe, you are looking for something that could help to supplement the natural lubrication produced at your Vagina? Then, you have just landed at the right …

• 4 bonuses // Jun 6, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Sage und schreibe sechs Journalistinnen haben diesem Text der Titelstory gearbeitet: Kruttschnitt und Woter habe den Artikel geschrieben, Ulrike Bülow, Irmgard Hochreither, Andrea Ritter und Wilke haben recherchiert – es geht um Fessel-Sex, Gewalt, Kontrollverlust, Hingabe, Genuß.

• 5 bonuses // Jun 7, 2017 at 7:57 am

Er macht auch Lust auf eine geile Sexcam Session mit diesen sexy Webcam Flittchen.

• 6 zusaetzliche ressourcen // Jun 7, 2017 at 11:02 am

Die Kleine spielte mir zwar einen heftigen Orgasmus vor aber der Mann rammelte versessen weiter.Der Leib war heiß, der Mann im Knast.

• 7 nike air zoom // Jun 9, 2017 at 11:19 am

I am only writing to make you understand of the useful experience my friend’s girl experienced checking your web site. She figured out a good number of things, which included how it is like to have a very effective helping mindset to get other people just master several extremely tough topics. You truly surpassed our expected results. Many thanks for supplying these necessary, dependable, explanatory and even fun thoughts on your topic to Janet.

• 8 voellig fremden // Jun 9, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Dieses echte Hornveilchen gedeiht auf trockenen, gut durchlässigen, mageren Böden.

• 9 カルティエ 結婚指輪 ローン // Jun 10, 2017 at 9:13 pm

スーパコピー通販専門店
    当店はいろいろな高品質ブランドコピー品をそろっているブランドコピー専門店です。
    業内ブランドコピールイヴィトン専門店を目指し、品質第一、信用第一、ユーザー第一の原則を守り
    心地よい親切で最高のインターネットサービス、
    最高品質商品を低価格で ご提供することです

• 10 社交媒体管理 // Jun 13, 2017 at 4:56 am

Shanghai-base 活动策划 d PR agency directed by Sophie Dariel focusing on the luxury f 活动策划 英思宇公共关系大中华区 ield and creating an interaction with art, culture and lifestyle to leverage communication. Your responsibilities will include supporting the research and translation of PR and marketing content (press releases, articles, soc

• 11 besuchen sie hier // Jun 13, 2017 at 5:39 am

Immerhin waren ja seit meiner ziemlich fixen Handarbeit erst Minuten verstrichen.

• 12 cheap jordans // Jun 13, 2017 at 9:53 am

I have to voice my love for your kindness in support of people who must have guidance on this particular matter. Your personal dedication to passing the message all around appears to be definitely helpful and have specifically permitted individuals much like me to realize their ambitions. Your amazing invaluable instruction means this much to me and even more to my office workers. Many thanks; from everyone of us.

• 13 Google // Jun 13, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Google

Here are some links to web pages that we link to for the reason that we feel they may be really worth visiting.

• 14 seo plugin // Jun 14, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

• 15 michael kors handbags // Jun 15, 2017 at 9:34 am

I actually wanted to type a quick remark to say thanks to you for some of the unique techniques you are giving at this website. My time-consuming internet investigation has finally been honored with wonderful tips to share with my guests. I would say that we site visitors are undeniably endowed to live in a useful community with many brilliant people with insightful strategies. I feel really fortunate to have seen the webpage and look forward to many more exciting minutes reading here. Thank you once again for all the details.

• 16 sie sucht ihn berlin erotik // Jun 16, 2017 at 11:21 am

Also ist es nur natürlich, dass ihr Kind nach einer einer schweren Zeit sein Vertrauen Sie legt.

• 17 chrome hearts outlet // Jun 17, 2017 at 6:42 am

A lot of thanks for your whole labor on this website. Gloria loves doing research and it’s really easy to understand why. My partner and i hear all of the lively method you create great tips and tricks by means of this blog and therefore invigorate contribution from other ones on the issue and my child is starting to learn a lot. Have fun with the rest of the new year. You are always doing a fabulous job.

• 18 schau dieses video an // Jun 17, 2017 at 7:32 am

SIE stellt er sich vom Typ Fischer vor: bodenständig, ästhetisch, selbstbewusst und ihre Kraft aus einer liebevollen Partnerschaft schöpfend.

• 19 yeezy boost // Jun 18, 2017 at 2:56 am

I want to express my appreciation to you just for rescuing me from this particular problem. Just after looking out through the online world and seeing things which were not powerful, I believed my entire life was done. Existing devoid of the strategies to the issues you have resolved all through this report is a critical case, as well as the ones which may have negatively affected my career if I had not noticed your web blog. Your own personal talents and kindness in handling a lot of things was priceless. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come across such a stuff like this. I am able to now look ahead to my future. Thanks so much for your skilled and amazing help. I won’t hesitate to recommend your blog post to anyone who desires care on this subject.

• 20 lebron james shoes // Jun 21, 2017 at 12:54 am

Thank you so much for giving everyone an extraordinarily pleasant chance to read articles and blog posts from this blog. It is often so good and stuffed with amusement for me and my office co-workers to visit the blog not less than three times a week to read through the latest guides you have got. And lastly, I’m actually amazed with your special information served by you. Selected 2 tips in this post are basically the most beneficial we have all ever had.

• 21 fortsetzen // Jun 22, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Was nicht schlimm ist, denn das Gefühl etwas kostbares wie die Jungfräulichkeit dem auserwählten Partner zu schenken ist romantisch.

• 22 Office Space For Rent // Jun 23, 2017 at 8:34 am