cicerchie

February 26th, 2009 · 31 Comments

yes, cicerchie. i know. you’ve probably never heard of it. well perhaps you have. but it was certainly new to me. a google search tells me that it dates back from roman times and was a common dish of peasants.. luckily i came across a package of these and now i am thinking that they’re perhaps my most favorite pulse ever. it’s like a wild garbanzo did it with an ear of corn – or something. maybe the field pea was involved too. i really don’t know, i wasn’t there. but this humble bean is absolutely wonderful – and ridiculously hard to come by.

in umbria a hunk of pig fat is traditionally used to prepare this dish. but i resisted using instead my best umbrian olive oil. i’m an avid fan of umbria. on my last trip to italy i spent a lot of time in assisi and orvieto and montefalco and spello… hill town after hill town, we spent time exploring – and eating. and i grew to love the region that is often overlooked by tourists in favor of the more popular tuscany. but the food in umbria really is spectacular and the olive oil, which many consider to be better than what you might find in tuscany, is comparably scarce in this country.

while on the subject of perhaps the one ingredient that i could not live without, one of my favorite olive oils comes from liguria. it’s smoother, if not gentler and more luxurious than the bold tuscans. if it were an actor it might win best supporting role. ligurian olive oil allows the other flavors of the food to shine through with just enough of the rich olive flavor to remind you just who it is…oh but that’s another post. – and most likely it will involve pesto…

i soaked the cicerchie overnight and gently boiled them for about 40 minutes with 4 fat garlic cloves, adding some salt at the end. i chopped and steamed some swiss chard, sliced some grape tomatoes, despriged some thyme and tossed it all together with salt and pepper. i wanted it to remain simple. i wanted to really get to know this bean. ok, is that weird? maybe it’s weird.

but if you really want to hear something weird, get this:

so i’m reading the ny times last sunday morning and in the style section the cover story is about gwyneth paltrow and her lifestyle website called goop (tag line = nourish the inner aspect = hee). as one might expect there are lovers and there are haters and well, i’m pretty much switzerland. whatever gwynne does is fine with me. i like her and i have decided to not hold a grudge against her, bittman or mario regarding the debacle "on the road again". i have let go of my disgust because i am trying to be more like ‘the buddha’. but anyway here’s what i read… mario, yes, our mario batali, gwynne’s bff, at the very end of this lengthy article, comments about her cooking saying "she has a great sense of proportion, which gives her food a natural balance."

and then the coffee squirted out my nose…

dear readers? is it me?

Tags: beans · greens · tomatoes

• 1 budget direct car insurance reviews // Sep 23, 2016 at 3:43 am

Wow, this is in every respect what I needed to know.

• 2 the general car insurance review // Sep 23, 2016 at 4:04 am

Jim, what the CCSS are asking students to do is all about process and not about curriculum. Education will be interested in us authors because we are masters of CCSS processes. They will want to know how do we do what we do. I believe in the future a lot more attention is going to be paid to our "unpacking" (as Myra Zarnowski defines it) our process so that others may emulate it. In effect, students are being asked to think like a scientist, or an historian, or a mathematician, not just sit and listed to what such people present to them through their work. Students will now have to read to learn. Something we do in spades.

• 3 low car insurance groups for young drivers // Sep 23, 2016 at 4:17 am

vio spune:este clar ca acesti elevi n-au invatat. nu toti, insa cei cu 1,20-4 nu au nicio scuza. La 1.20 asa cum ati spus, luau doar punctul din oficiu si 20 de sutimie pt ce-au scris acolo. l-am vazut pe unul care luase nota asta la limba romana. intelegeam la matematica, dar la limba romana??? din pacate generatia asta tanara are doar discoteci, cluburi, masini scumpe. sunt noile monici columbeanu si poponet. nu le trebuie scoala.

• 4 get instant quote car insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 7:22 am

Good to find an expert who knows what he’s talking about!

• 5 300 a month for car insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 7:28 am

Molds Personal Language. Nonsense Twaddle, bunk and tommyrot, Blather and tomfoolery, Trumpery and poppycock, Bosh and rigmaroolery. Slaver, drivel, blah and tosh, Balderdash and hooey, Folderol and fudge kibosh, Hokum and balooey.

• 6 car insurance calculator progressive // Sep 23, 2016 at 9:45 am

shawnaFaith is not a question of the existence or non-existence of God. It is believing that love without reward is valuable.”— Emmanuel LevinasHe’s Jewish, but it is still very true. And if you need a good book that makes you laugh and think at the same time, read The Year of Living Biblically, a book by AJ Jacobs about his year of trying to follow all the Hebrew testament regulations.

• 7 compare auto insurance quotes michigan // Sep 23, 2016 at 11:36 am

It’s really great that people are sharing this information.

• 8 mpi off road vehicle insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:12 pm

actually Twitter users are mostly adults. and Longo already has 1,000 followers, a lot of whom are Rays fans that are getting screwed by Big Business into believing something they want to believe is true. Are they partly to blame? Sure. Just like all of Madoff’s victim’s are a little too blame. But that didn’t make it ok to scam the innocent.

• 9 basic insurance on rental car // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Hallelujah! I needed this-you’re my savior.

• 10 aami car insurance renewal // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:52 pm

I don’t feel bad — she’s the one that puts her insufferable bitch self online everyday for the world to read/see. I feel bad for Mazen because he’s going to grow up in a OCD suffocating controlling environment.

• 11 http://nacmm.info/cheapest-auto-insurance-las-vegas-nv.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Well put, sir, well put. I’ll certainly make note of that.

• 12 new car insurance comprehensive // Sep 23, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Ich gehe mal nicht davon aus, dass ihr die Biografie eines Minis erzählen wollt… Von daher schlage ich vor, dass man den Tippfehler in der Ãœberschrift korrigiert… Es ist ja schließlich ein CaBRio…

• 13 auto owners insurance new baltimore michigan // Sep 23, 2016 at 2:43 pm

yeah that’s what I meant too, people are sheep. And so am I ! My girlfriend absolutely wants us to do something for Valentines,? and we will, but I tried sooo hard to tell her it was just commercial bullshit.. The most terrible thing about this is that I offered her a ring this summer, just like that, and she was like “meh”, but if I had bought it for Valentines she’d have gone all like “aaaaaw so cute thanks I like youuu”

• 14 http://destinedfg.com/cheapest-car-insurance-akron-ohio.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Gee willikers, that’s such a great post!

• 15 cheap insurance spartanburg sc // Sep 23, 2016 at 6:21 pm

You’ve managed a first class post

• 16 http://nacmm.info/alamo-car-aarp-rates.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 6:50 pm

These are all awesome gift ideas! It actually gave me an idea of what to get my best friend for Christmas. She loves smelling the candles in every store we go in when we go shopping but she never buys them because she doesn’t want to “waste her money”, she’s one of those smart spenders. But I know she would love to get a couple candles for her apartment. Thanks for the inspiration!

• 17 insuraces // Sep 23, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Mrs. Mcneil is my hero. The kids and the whole community benefit immensely from these end of year shows. I happen to teach many of last year’s 5th graders, and quite a few of them came to this year’s show. Last year’s kids put on “Oliver,” also a fantastic production.

• 18 cheapest car insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Hey there I am so glad I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

• 19 http://destinedfg.com/aviva-car-insurance-canada.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Hey, good to find someone who agrees with me. GMTA.

• 20 cheap insurance in pasadena texas // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Elizabeth I like ceramic very much and I just admire everyone who is patient, creative and precise enough to deal with clay and porcelain … It refers so much work and knowledge that I honestly say that I just dipped toe to this craft Lovely weekend to you to.

• 21 http://nacmm.info/gmacinsurance.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 10:24 pm

You’ve got to be kidding me-it’s so transparently clear now!

• 22 moneysupermarket car insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Some days, 15 minutes feel like a month in solitary confinement.Press on and push through … I will go right now and check out your post. Thank you for visiting!

• 23 insurance auto // Sep 23, 2016 at 10:56 pm

It's so great to see how you work with (i.e. transform) the reference photos. It took me a litle while to find the African American boy, until I realized you'd put him in a new costume with turban, and changed his head angle somewhat.

• 24 largest insurance companies in the united states // Sep 24, 2016 at 12:08 am

Marcello252,in effetti intorno al puntino bianco della base del modulo lunare (quello indicato come Antares) c'è una chiazza scura che potrebbe essere il prodotto del motore di discesa o di quello di decollo.Dovrei riguardare i resoconti di missione per vedere se per l'Apollo 14 ci fu lo stesso "spazzamento" della superficie della 11 dovuto alla ricerca di un punto sicuro di allunaggio.Aspettiamo comunque le foto di LRO a risoluzione maggiore dopo che avrà raggiunto l'orbita bassa definitiva.

• 25 fort wayne traffic accidents // Sep 24, 2016 at 12:50 am

Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my site thus i came to go back the prefer?.I’m attempting to find issues to enhance my web site!I assume its adequate to make use of some of your ideas!!

• 26 http://nacmm.info/linea-directa-in-english-car-insurance.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 2:33 am

I don't trust intellectuals. They create divisions where there are none. It is also fertile ground for wolves in sheep's clothing.Calling me a troll is a weak strategy. And anonymous even. Can't you discredit me any better than a child?It would be a very good idea to distance yourself from these people(O'Meara, Greg Johnson, MacDonald, etc.). They are bad news. In the world of action, these men will come to nothing. People have already tuned out the verbose, self indulgent rhetoric a long time ago.

• 27 http://adoradoslegacy.com/auto-insurance-careers.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 2:44 am

am super happy to have Anthony Huso here for an interview. I read and reviewed The Last Page (review) and Black Bottle (review) not long ago and found them to be an intriguing and imaginative

• 28 http://nacmm.info/i-need-cheap-health-insurance-for-my-family.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 3:04 am

Hi thanks for your question on funding for a Personal Alcohol Licence! Yes is the simply answer according to Personal Licence Training Limited some Job Centres can obtain some form of funding for people who wish to obtain a personal licence if unemployed. however sometimes the funding is obtained via another agent. Try talking to someone like if you have a local centre or your local job centre. In Scotland funding can be obtained via an .Thanks for your enquiry

• 29 cheap insurance wa // Sep 24, 2016 at 3:35 am

Que de vérités dans cet article!Pratiquant Poser depuis 11 ans,je peux assurer que tout est dit ici et avec la plus grande qualité de jugement que l’on puisse trouver,bravo aussi pour la revue,la meilleure en français!!!

• 30 can you get insurance with a permit // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:02 am

Hahahaha. I’m not too bright today. Great post!

• 31 http://nacmm.info/titan-auto-insurance-turlock.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 10:20 am

I have used Photoshop for the last 10 years as one of my main tools and it consistently gets more bloated, more feature-laden, resource hungry, less user focused, and unreliable. …

• 32 dmv locations louisville ky // Sep 24, 2016 at 12:46 pm

This is such an inspiring thing to do! I love how you have taken the time to consider your belongings as gifts to others rather than just chucking them out.

• 33 http://destinedfg.com/auto-insurance-ardmore-ok.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I could watch Schindler’s List and still be happy after reading this.

• 34 enterprise car rental insurance coverage // Sep 24, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Looks great much better than the 3rd one. I’m pleasantly surprised by Webb’s direction. The effects are excellent but I don’t like Garfield he’s way too old. Logan Lerman would have been the perfect Peter Parker. They miscast on this and now they’re stuck with Garfield.

• 35 shopping for car insurance online // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Normalmente prefiro fazer assados e embora já tenha feito alguns estufados parecidos nunca cheguei à excelência do teu molho caramelizado. A ver se experimento um destes dias.

• 36 http://adoradoslegacy.com/johnson-insurance-athens-ga.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:46 pm

kent – Okay – that is freaky that you have so many connections to the Biggest Loser. I can’t beliveyou are watching that show either – that is just one I didn’t think you would.Funny about the dream! Least you didn’t dream you were on the show!

• 37 auto insurance a max // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Z.K. hier auch noch , die den von der DB angebotenen Baustopp für eine Mogelpackung halten und es richtig finden, dass das Land dafür keine Steuergelder ausgibt.   0 likes

• 38 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/car-insurance-west-sacramento.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 10:01 pm

just goggled Erica Taylor, used to be a former model now up and cumming actress.A good at least 12 years younger than Terrance.This is a Win/Win sitch for both of them: she gets exposure,he gets some young tight pussy.

• 39 car insurance rates Atlanta GA // Sep 25, 2016 at 12:24 am

Qué pena me da que un equipo como este Cadete A se vea obligado a pasar una vergüenza tan grande como la que tuvo que vivir el pasado viernes. Un árbitro se puede equivocar, de acuerdo… pero si alguien no ve un offside de más de cinco metros, y encima en tres ocasiones y acabando en todas la jugada en gol, creo que esa persona no se ha equivocado…Arriba Juventud!

• 40 kocman insurance // Sep 25, 2016 at 12:45 am

Your article was excellent and erudite.

• 41 no down payment car insurance in Houston TX // Sep 25, 2016 at 3:57 am

vale muito, mas mesmo muito a pena. se eu o encontrar por aqui no meus montes talvez ainda poste qualquer coisa que isto da actualidade tem que se lhe diga…

• 42 affordable auto insurance Meridian MS // Sep 25, 2016 at 6:22 am

( 2012.03.5 12:40 ) : What computer software had been computers using before ‘microsoft’ was invented? I googled it and couldn’t find any information on it. Thanks and no antics or dissing please..

• 43 full coverage car insurance Jackson MS // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:28 am

Yeah, the voice on the telephone, once the mood has been set, is terrifying.The God of the Lost in The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon gets to me every so often.

• 44 cheap non owners insurance Reynoldsburg OH // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:30 am

Vriend van mij die altijd zeer anti amerikaans was is net van een vakantie in Amerika terug gekomen.Hij was zeer opgetogen over dat land en zijn bewoners.

• 45 free auto insurance quotes Houston TX // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:41 am

Надежда! Я очень рада, что порода Алабай Вам понравилась. Глаза у этой собаки и правда изумительные и очень умные!)