heidi’s lentil soup

January 22nd, 2008 · 2,260 Comments

dsc_0006.JPG

i could just say "thank you heidi" and then give you the link… because anything else is really superfluous here – but since we haven’t chatted in awhile i thought i’d hang around and shoot the breeze.

’08 has had a rough start. one of my cats, chet – a sable burmese – got injured to the tune of $2500, i cancelled a 3 week trip next month to brazil because i just couldn’t swing it, a big annual seminar that i run each year was not as well attended as in the past due to our scary economy – speaking of which the democrats are at each others throats already which makes me nervous that the country will get nervous and lean towards the republicans. and although i have little control over such most things i am concerned enough that i got a big honkin’ cold sore on my face which i believe is large enough to warrant its own zipcode. just thought i’d share… but then on the lighter side of life there is this fabulous lentil soup that you need to make. i’ve gone through three batches in two weeks and will make my fourth tomorrow. it is quite simply, "just right". and it takes 20 minutes to prepare. i use a teaspoon of spanish pimenton in mine to give it a smokey depth, along with some chili flakes for just a touch of heat. i also use a full bunch of chard, probably more than heidi’s recipe calls for but i like it. and as we all know, everything is much better with a poached egg on top – although i also made her saffron yogurt sauce and it was divine. it’s what’s for lunch – or dinner. home alone – or even if friends drop by. this lentil soup is absolutely wonderful.

ls1.JPGls2.JPG

below, the saffron yogurt version – which looks remarkably similar to the poached egg version:

lentilsaffron.JPG

totally a favorite – a new staple to make over and over and over.

Tags: soup

2,260 responses so far ↓

• 1 car insurance Charlottesville VA // Sep 26, 2016 at 1:34 pm

If time is money you’ve made me a wealthier woman.

• 2 affordable auto insurance Holyoke MA // Sep 26, 2016 at 2:50 pm

– its getting more common for tv shows in the US to have internet sites, not just about information, but interactive games/puzzles, extra information, even part of the storyline. Its part of the move away from TV being purely a passive experience to an interactive one – a convergence technologies.

• 3 cheap car insurance Huntington WV // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Have you given any kind of thought at all with translating your current web site in to Spanish? I know a couple of translaters here which would certainly help you do it for no cost if you want to make contact with me.

• 4 car insurance Lenoir NC // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Ah so amazing!!!! I can't wait to go back to Paris…I just miss it so much!!!!! I might have to wait until May so The Boy has time save up and still pay for insignificant things like rent and food, lol!

• 5 look auto insurance Sterling Heights MI // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I am quite clueless when it comes to smart phones (I still have a phone without a camera), but how does that work with subscriptions? is there a way to access you university subscription from your iPhone?Please Note: This may be obvious if you are not a smart phone novice.

• 6 cheap auto insurance Rochester MI // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Su viaje se ve increible! Que padre es seguir viendo parte de lo que ustedes ven! Algun dia quisiera hacer un viaje como el que estan haciendo ustedes! Seguire al tanto de su blog que esta muy interesante!Saludos!

• 7 low income auto insurance Gretna LA // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:15 pm

una cosa che non ho scritto nel post, è il confronto e il legame (strettissimo) di questo film con il cinema dei fratelli Farrelly. ma ero stufo, ed è già troppo lungo.

• 8 free car insurance quotes Portsmouth VA // Sep 26, 2016 at 11:15 pm

You couldn’t pay me to ignore these posts!

• 9 full coverage car insurance Naperville IL // Sep 27, 2016 at 2:55 am

"I guess the polls will tell."The polls are showing an overwhelming Obama victory this time, you delusional fool. The capacity of the iSteve commentariat to insulate themselves from reality never ceases to amuse.

• 10 full coverage car insurance Manteca CA // Sep 27, 2016 at 4:02 am

I’m something of a caramel corn addict, so I will have to try this when I’m back at Epcot in December (hopefully for the D23 Magic and Merriment event–fingers crossed!!) It’s interesting that they use Werther’s since most caramel corn is made by making a caramel sauce from butter, sugar, and vanilla, not from candy. So it should be a unique taste!