heidi’s lentil soup

January 22nd, 2008 · 19 Comments

dsc_0006.JPG

i could just say "thank you heidi" and then give you the link… because anything else is really superfluous here – but since we haven’t chatted in awhile i thought i’d hang around and shoot the breeze.

’08 has had a rough start. one of my cats, chet – a sable burmese – got injured to the tune of $2500, i cancelled a 3 week trip next month to brazil because i just couldn’t swing it, a big annual seminar that i run each year was not as well attended as in the past due to our scary economy – speaking of which the democrats are at each others throats already which makes me nervous that the country will get nervous and lean towards the republicans. and although i have little control over such most things i am concerned enough that i got a big honkin’ cold sore on my face which i believe is large enough to warrant its own zipcode. just thought i’d share… but then on the lighter side of life there is this fabulous lentil soup that you need to make. i’ve gone through three batches in two weeks and will make my fourth tomorrow. it is quite simply, "just right". and it takes 20 minutes to prepare. i use a teaspoon of spanish pimenton in mine to give it a smokey depth, along with some chili flakes for just a touch of heat. i also use a full bunch of chard, probably more than heidi’s recipe calls for but i like it. and as we all know, everything is much better with a poached egg on top – although i also made her saffron yogurt sauce and it was divine. it’s what’s for lunch – or dinner. home alone – or even if friends drop by. this lentil soup is absolutely wonderful.

ls1.JPGls2.JPG

below, the saffron yogurt version – which looks remarkably similar to the poached egg version:

lentilsaffron.JPG

totally a favorite – a new staple to make over and over and over.

Tags: soup

• 1 ponyboat // Jan 22, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Hooray I am first!

I was missing you, glad you are back online! Thanks for the lentil soup feature – it’s my winter staple. I just made a big ole batch of it last week, very similar recipe with the smoked pimenton. I haven’t tried the egg on top but that looks good!

Sorry to hear about Chet, is he the one always in my lap or is that Merle? Either way, hope he gets better soon. Vet bills suck.

• 2 ceeelcee // Jan 22, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Glad to see you back. You deserve some comfort food like this!

• 3 Mary Coleman // Jan 23, 2008 at 8:05 am

Claudia honey..that’s a hell of a way to start the new year! I hope Chet is ok. I saved Heidi’s recipe when she posted it and have looked at it several times since thinking I would make it. It looks divine and I love the addition of the pimenton for the smokiness.

• 4 lucy // Jan 23, 2008 at 9:30 am

glad you’re back, ma’am :)
    that’s a shame about your kitty; I always have a lurking fear that something will happen to mine and I’ll have to sell a kidney to take care of him.

and that soup looks like it’ll be the perfect dinner tonight as i’m hiding inside from the negative windchills.

• 5 fluffernutter // Jan 23, 2008 at 9:37 am

I am so sorry about the cat — it’s an awful turn of events.I’m also sad you can’t go to Brazil — a little Brazil in the midwinter would give a person something to live for.
    On a lighter note, did I tell you I got some pimenton, more or less based on your raves about it. It’s fantastic, and I have to resist the temptation to put it in everything. Tonight we’re having potato seafood chowder, and I’m thinking that what would really boost it up would be a little pimenton…

• 6 clumsy // Jan 23, 2008 at 9:39 am

The Dems are starting to really worry me too! And sorry about the cat—I have a dog at home nursing a wound too (we’re hoping he doesn’t need surgery—fingers crossed!!)

At least you got lentil!!

• 7 Jennifer Hess // Jan 23, 2008 at 11:41 am

Aw, poor Chet – hopefully he’s on the mend and will be all better soon. Emergency vet expenses suck, but what can you do – they’re family.

Your soup looks just lovely, and I’m so glad you did a poached egg variation. You know what a sucker I am for that. :)

Looking so forward to our lunch date next month!

• 8 jim voorhies // Jan 23, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Yow! Saffron yogurt? I haven’t bought saffron since I got some once and then forgot what recipe I planned to use it in. Then I lost the saffron…

I can’t believe you didn’t wipe the bowl edge first. ;)

• 9 Klinde // Jan 23, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I am sorry about the kitty, the trip AND the cold sore!

On the upside…. YUM!

• 10 Robert // Jan 23, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Forth batch, whew, that is ALOT of fiber……

• 11 yveala // Jan 23, 2008 at 10:42 pm

hugs and kisses to chet..hopes for a trip to brazil in the near future and..cold sores suck!!

i made this delicious lentil soup just 2 weeks ago, thought i made enough to freeze packages to send back with the college kids..but there wasn’t a drop left..it was sooo good and as for the fiber..always a bonus

it was, however, difficult to find black lentils. the green french ones were great but i’m seeking out the black one’s for my next batch.

• 12 Runner Girl // Jan 24, 2008 at 11:31 am

So sorry to hear your little pal has been under the weather. Best wishes for his speedy recovery.

I can not wait to make this soup. And your poached egg??? Wow, it’s gorgeous! Well done.

• 13 Dan // Jan 24, 2008 at 11:56 am

yumtastic. i think the benefit of cracking an egg over food is highly underrated in the state. egg on pizza is a european treat i wish i could get out here. tho, i s’pose if i were really big city, i probably could.

• 14 Joy // Jan 24, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Hi – I just stumbled upon your blog and feel as if I’ve been missing out! I too am a Nashville transplant with an obsession with food and I LOVE your blog! I just started one this week. It’s not as beautiful as yours, but I am new to this! I will be checking back often and I hope to exchange recipes, ideas, comments, and tips. We have a lot in common (the radishes on bread, the lentil soup, and more…) Thanks so much!

• 15 cookiecrumb // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Did I tell you I made this dish too? I think this recipe has been pinging all around the blogosphere. We are hungry for simple protein.

• 16 cook eat FRET - nyc 2.08 part 2 // Feb 21, 2008 at 8:37 pm

[...] pancetta, roasted grapes, fried capers and parmigiano chips ta tatalamb shanks with 3 hour polentaheidi’s lentil souparchives Select Month February 2008  (5) January 2008  (10) December 2007  (11) [...]

• 17 cook eat FRET - dinner on a budget // Jan 26, 2009 at 10:04 am

[...] i mean i’ve made about 3 pots of soup since i last posted. most of them are all variations of this lentil soup. and i highly, but highly recommend this soup. and lately, i’ve been on a kale [...]

• 18 Roasted Grapes | Lesley Eats // Jun 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm

[...] the pleasure of being invited to Claudia‘s house for a meal this past week where she served this delicious soup (with a vegetable stock and topped with the saffron yogurt instead of the [...]

• 19 Paulius // Jan 29, 2012 at 9:59 am

You makin me hungry, lady!