3 greens, sweet potato and chorizo stew

October 29th, 2007 · 9 Comments

img_1702.JPG

eating down the house.  continued…

i read a fair few blogs and am constantly inspired by these people who understand food so well.  it certainly makes cooking easier on me.  tonight i riffed off one of my all-time fave blogs, smitten kitchen and enlisted a touch of help from minimally invasive (orange zest/pimenton = wow).

i bought one large yellow onion along with 3 organic valencia oranges for zest.  everything else was in the house.

img_1681.JPG

i sauteed the one big onion and the last of my small ones in some olive oil.  when they were about to brown i added the chopped sweet potatoes, the last of my fresh sage, the zest of 3 oranges, niman ranch chorizo sausage, and a mixture of turnip, red russian kale and collard greens along with a litre of chicken broth – in no particular order.  i salt and peppered to taste and then added some (magic) sweet smoked pimenton.

the sweet potatoes and greens were all from my csa.  i used quite a bit of both.  but somehow, i still have more…  they are reproducing overnight.  like rabbits.

it was a one pot meal.  and really, this was so good.  but so very, very good.  in fact, surprisingly excellent.  a bonafide winner!

i’d love to go on about it some more but i am tired and have to wake up early…

(yawn)

ps – i can’t say it was a stoup.  i just can’t…  way too rachel ray on the lingo for me.

Tags: greens · pork · potatoes

• 1 Amy // Oct 30, 2007 at 3:28 am

Rachael Ray — that is one low blow.

• 2 claudia // Oct 30, 2007 at 5:29 am

amy – oh gawd – i forgot that was in your post. that’s hilarious. but i hold you in the very highest esteem. i swear!

i’ve been hearing it everywhere. stoup this, stoup that… i think it’s kinda stoupid. (i crack me up…)

• 3 ponyboat // Oct 30, 2007 at 6:55 am

Stoup or not, it was divine. Smoky and spicy, and perfect on a brisk fall evening. I shoulda snatched a doggie bag. I am in awe of how your most casual improv always turns into something no less than spectacular!!

• 4 claudia // Oct 30, 2007 at 7:05 am

pony – thanks for your kind words. and your potato peeling abilities. and for bringing the onion and the oranges. and the wine. and the cool book…

needless to say, you are the consummate dinner guest… i’ll cook for you anytime.

• 5 fluffernutter // Oct 30, 2007 at 9:53 am

I’m keeping this recipes, because my produce drawer looks like this: Greensgreensgreensgreenswintersquashgreensgreensgreens
    I can’t even find the time to freeze them all, and heaven knows the family is not enthusiastic. But I’m excited about this yummer.

• 6 cookiecrumb // Oct 30, 2007 at 12:13 pm

It’s so HAPPY when a dish comes together and works out perfectly.
    I totally understand your joy.
    (I was gonna make a “stoupid” joke too, but you beat me too it. You crack me up.)

• 7 clumsy // Oct 30, 2007 at 2:45 pm

You’ve been making so much orange food lately—love it! Looks so “autumnal.”

And I hate “stoup” (the word, not the food) as well, it just sounds so, stoupid.

• 8 clumsy // Oct 30, 2007 at 2:46 pm

haha—I didn’t notice the other stoupid jokes— and I thought I was soo clever!

• 9 Ruth Greenwood // Oct 30, 2007 at 3:05 pm

E was RAVING about this dish while on the phone to me while I was driving—having not eaten for HOURS, I was drooling…this one I will make!! Inspired!!

The umami foods of Thanksgiving, yum, yum. It could be Thanksgiving for a month or two, in my book. Have a Happy one.

I am a BIG Bittman fan, my volume of How to Cook Everything is twice the size it was new…full of flavor…the pages, that is, I could eat the book and survive, in case of disaster…if my Bible was anywhere near as well-used as HTCE I would be a much better person than I am.

Glad to see you delighting in your blog…I look forward to reading backward and catching up with all I missed!