a redesign and a few other words

November 30th, 2007 · 13 Comments

dsc_0023.jpg

i’m in the midst of changing the look here at ‘ceF’ and well, this brings up a lot of issues of ineptness on my part.  because writing and cooking – and having a life outside of writing and cooking is already an interesting challenge.  but then throw some major technology my way and i am truly at a loss.  seemingly huge blocks of my life go missing and next thing you know i’m in a panic and wishing for an intrevenous xanax drip.

so i’ve come to rely on mark edwards over at Simpler Computing!.  he’s a virtual miracle in my life these days because i call him up and tell him what to do – and he does it.  and he’s so nice to me.  and he loves to cook.  mark speaks all those code languages fluently.  (hi mark!)

did you notice i’ve got a new banner?  it was designed by amy roth, the author of one of my favorite food blogs ‘minimally invasive‘.  besides being an adventurous cook, a fine writer and an excellent graphics designer, she’s also a gifted photographer and i am really drawn to how she sees things.  a sincere and grateful thank you for her interpretation of how i envisioned the site and what i felt might work.  i wanted to convey a modern clean vibe.  she nailed it and i’m loving the new look.

i’m just now starting to get up the nerve to use cary’s nikon d70 and i’m in the dangerously embryonic stages of learning what buttons do what in order to get a result that i might like.  i just got a new 50mm lens and soon i hope to get a flash – and a tripod.  and well, the time has come to take the photos up a notch.  so please bear with me through the learning process.  this is very new territory – aperture, f-stops, lighting, depth of field…  yikes.  it will be interesting to see what i can capture through a lens once i get the basics down.

dsc_0034-1.jpg

i also want to take a moment to thank all of you out there in the blogosphere who drop in on occasion to see what i’m up to.  ‘ceF’ has added a very cool dimension to my life and i’m so grateful to all of you for reading and commenting.  cooking and eating have always been a serious passion for me and so to be able to share it in this way feels like i’ve stumbled upon something just a little magical.  the ‘FRET’ aspect of all of this looms larger than life for me at times – hence the rare capitalization – and i include those specialized posts because i know i am not alone in this struggle to maintain a reasonable weight.  i try and lead a healthy life with a solid dose of decadence.  it is a slippery slope, no doubt.

so on this december eve, i find myself wondering what i might cook this weekend.  i want to keep it light – but it’ll be something new.  something different.

i’ll be sure and let you know.

dsc_0034-4.jpg

Tags: not food

• 1 FireDog // Nov 30, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Hey Claudia,
    I like your new look! I don’t want to gush too much but this is a good time to say that I love what you do, your use of language, your pesonality that comes through your work and the recipes and dishes you prepare. I just automatically go to CEF each day.
    Thanks. A fan in Atlanta……
    Happy Holidays

• 2 Amy // Dec 1, 2007 at 6:30 am

Howdy Claudia,
    I’m so happy you like the banner! It was such a pleasure to work with you on this project and finally get to connect with you on the phone. I truly love this site and your passion for food and friends that comes through with every post. Thank you so much for deciding to share that with us. We’re all richer for it.
    Amy

• 3 Lucy // Dec 1, 2007 at 7:19 am

01. congrats (and lucky you!) on the new banner/techie help. looks loverly.
    02. super jealous of your new camera. i do love my finepix, but i’m not fooling anyone about the abilities of a point & shoot
    03. i’m glad you’re done not eating now. your kitchen missed you. it told me.

• 4 TaratheFoodie // Dec 1, 2007 at 8:45 am

Hey Claudia! I LOVE the new banner. It’s very cool with the greys and the fork art. By the way, Google “fork art” some time – there’s some amazing sculptured art out there made entirely of forks – how cool would that be for our kitchens? Anyway, I wanted you to know that your blog is one of the two I read every single day and I love it. You seem like a cool chick. :-) Can’t wait to see what you make for dinner tonight!

• 5 Mary Coleman // Dec 1, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Claudia,
    This looks wonderful! You have a great blog and a great attitude towards life and it’s a pleasure to read your work every day!
    Mary

• 6 newscoma // Dec 1, 2007 at 5:01 pm

Man, I like the new look.
    And, your blog is just plum dang awesome.
    ****clap, clap, clap****

• 7 melissa // Dec 2, 2007 at 12:52 am

thank you for just being you – you’ve been a glorious discovery in my little part of the world. I can’t wait to continue with you on your culinary adventures. I hope to cook something new this weekend as well.

and I love love love the buddhist photo. stellar.

• 8 claudia // Dec 2, 2007 at 9:02 am

thanks so much for the kind and generous words

love you
    mean it

• 9 clumsy // Dec 2, 2007 at 10:03 am

The new banner looks fantastic! I love it!

• 10 annie // Dec 2, 2007 at 7:58 pm

The new banner is beautimous – its so clean and so classic that it could be anything from Shaker to Danish Modern. I also like your pics, which bring to mind magazines I buy mainly because the photographs are lovely – “Hallmark,” “Claire Murray” and the late, lamented “Victoria.” I covet the painted object with the very wise words on it.

• 11 Mari // Dec 3, 2007 at 11:59 am

That is a fabulous piece! Thanks for sharing!

• 12 lydia // Dec 4, 2007 at 4:23 pm

Hi claudia,
    I’ve been enjoying your blog for some time now -great writing – really involving and much I identify with – and super photos. – just spent some enjoyable time now reading about these amazing 300 minute eggs and that fabulous looking chocolate sorbet.

Just wanted to add my admiration for the new look too; really clean and appealing. And congratulations for tackling the technology to make the changes – it all slightly terrifies me!

• 13 Yve // Dec 5, 2007 at 4:58 pm

well…i’ve been a fan for quite some time now, however i haven’t commented for a while – too busy to write but not to busy to read and watching your blog blossom has been delightful. your old look was great but like fresh food and inspiring new recipes – new is fabulous – as is your updated look!
    people are still raving about the plum cake from what seems so long ago and my family can’t agree on your best pasta. friday’s i try to cook for the entire weekend..this weekend will surely include eggs..and possibly some very delicious eggsalad.
    also, love the last photo and saying..you’re really terrific.