venison with cherry mostarda and chanterelles

November 26th, 2008 · 29 Comments

we’ll be flying to nyc to celebrate thanksgiving with my mom. so this year i don’t have to cook a thing.  ok, i am bringing lupini beans that were soaked in a brining solution for 5 days, but that hardly counts (just add olive oil and fresh black pepper). and really, the ‘not cooking’ thing is totally fine with me. after all, i cook quite a bit. so i’m more than happy to relinquish control. plus, last year was quite the scream…

but while everyone is going turkey crazy, i decided to have a little early sunday celebration of my own and so my bff angela came over with her husband, and this was our dinner. well this and some of that smoked mullet roe, and cannellini beans cooked with the pig jowl skin sliced from chris’s guancialle. and speaking of chris, the doe that the venison came from was shot by his step-father in leipers fork, just 30 minutes from my house. chris had offered me some of the meat and i somehow had the nerve to request the best cut – the tenderloin, and he kindly obliged.

chris butchered the deer himself, and brought me both of the choice tenderloin strips. i aged them in the refrigerator for 10 days, soaked them overnight in milk and then they were salted for about 7 hours before they hit my grill. i’m not saying that this is the way to do it. it’s just the way it transpired over here. and i’d do it again. yes i would. like as soon as possible.

and it was beyond excellent. the venison was perfectly cooked on a very hot (900f) grill with nothing but some olive oil. i had feared that it might overcook before i got much of a char but because of the leanness of the meat, it was just as i’d hoped.

i simply sautéed some chanterelles in some of my danish butter that i’ve grown quite fond of, and then there was the cherry mostarda. it’s a mixture of cherries, sugar, balsamic vinegar and mustard powder.

see? simple… i mean really, really…

yes, a touch of parsley crossed my mind, but it felt just too lame…

so, just a quick post before i fly up north. and a huge and grateful thank you to my ceF readers. you’ve just no idea how fond i’ve grown of you, and how i have come to sort of rely on the fact that you’re all out there. it makes my life richer and rounder, in so many ways.

a very happy thanksgiving to all of you…

Tags: mushrooms · venison and other game

• 1 Jennifer Hess // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you, my friend. That meal looks positively mouthwatering. I haven’t had venison in years but I love it. I need to make friends with more hunters.

• 2 Amy at Minimally Invasive // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:55 pm

And a very happy Thanksgiving to you, Claudia. You said you were having venison, and I don’t quite remember the preparation I imagined, but it couldn’t have been nearly as good as this. Fabulous work.

• 3 Robert // Nov 26, 2008 at 4:47 pm

That really was nerve, asking for the butchers ‘knife tax’. He does like you….

• 4 Kristie // Nov 26, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Man. That’s gorgeous, like your face. I love mushrooms.

• 5 maybelles mom (feeding maybelle) // Nov 26, 2008 at 6:34 pm

have a great trip and happy thanksgiving to you. ..

• 6 The Italian Dish // Nov 26, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Once again, totally impressed. Aged the venison in the fridge, soaked it in milk??? How did you know to do all that? Looks great. Hope you have a great Turkey Day. We all love you.

• 7 The Italian Dish // Nov 26, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Just had to comment again. I hopped on over and read your “Space Shuttle Turkey” from last year. Good God. What a read. I can’t even believe you attempted that! Never in my life have I seen such a thing. I guessed you showed Ruhlman a thing or two.

• 8 NOBLE PIG // Nov 27, 2008 at 1:42 am

Claudia, so beautiful and damn straight you asked for the best cut, I mean what else. It’s awesome…Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, enjoy the cooking break.

• 9 Jesse // Nov 27, 2008 at 10:00 am

Whoaaa, I won’t be missing the turkey if I had this dish in front of me! Happy Thanksgiving!

• 10 michelle @ TNS // Nov 27, 2008 at 2:17 pm

happy thanksgiving to you to – give ethel a hug for me. and many thanks to the blogoverse, without which i never would have come to know you.

• 11 Choosy Beggar Tina // Nov 27, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Claudia!! Your dish looks amazing. I love the pairing of venison and cherries, and chanterelles are the bomb. I just wish that I could FIND venison around here, and particularly some that I wouldn’t need to sell a kidney to afford.

• 12 PeterMarcus // Nov 27, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Man, I’ve been seeing all these venison dishes in the blogosphere in the last couple weeks, and I’m drooling. I don’t know any hunters well enough to poach some of their stash, and I can’t find any farm-raised in my little town in Florida, so I’m stuck watching and wiping my chin.

That looks simple, and delicious.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• 13 Julia // Nov 28, 2008 at 6:28 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you! Your pre-thanksgiving feast looks great (no surprise). A friend of mine also hunts deer. He is always happy to give me the tenderloin too. From what I can tell about the hunting folk, they actually prefer the “lesser” cuts because they have more flavor. Go figure. I’m with you, I’ll take the backstrap any day of the week.

• 14 Donald // Nov 28, 2008 at 9:40 am

Happy Thanksgiving Claudia! Hope you have a safe trip.

That venison looks to die for! You know venison was probably more the focal point of Thanksgiving than turkey was. So you are on point. I wish I had some hunters in the family. I’d do it myself, but I have a small fear of running around the woods of Georgia. It’s a black thing. :-)

• 15 Melissa // Nov 28, 2008 at 4:29 pm

What a dish. Simple but so special.

I know I already told you Happy Thanksgiving, and it is already the day after, sooo I hope you had a great day and a safe trip and got lots of love and good food from mom.

• 16 Culinary Game Show // Nov 29, 2008 at 1:21 am

Great dish, I appreciate your cooking style.

Thanks for posting.
    Lucy

• 17 Brittany // Nov 29, 2008 at 1:23 am

Beautiful. I love this kind of food.
    Simple and clean.
    You never fail make me hungry, now you’ve done so while I’m still full from turkey. Impressive.

Last years duck-on-turkey action was hilarious- that last french comment almost made me choke on my vodka…

• 18 Rachel (S[d]OC) // Nov 29, 2008 at 6:36 am

That was a beautiful dish. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. You were lucky that it warmed up a bit here in NY. It was seriously cold last week.

• 19 chefectomy // Nov 29, 2008 at 9:40 pm

I absolutely love Venison Claudia. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving…
    –Marc

• 20 Marc @ NoRecipes // Nov 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm

As much as I love meat I’ve only just recently been turned onto venison. Sounds like your quite the pro. Was the soak in the milk to get rid of some of the gaminess?

• 21 Heather // Nov 30, 2008 at 11:41 pm

God, isn’t that Danish butter the bee’s knees? Chanterelles need no other accoutrement (a sprinkle of good salt and chopped herbs don’t hurt, but who’s counting).

I almost made elk sirloin this year instead of turkey, but I couldn’t break from tradition. Dunno why. But now I have elk and turkey leftovers in the fridge. :\

Hope you had a wonderful holiday, gorgeous.

• 22 Kim // Dec 1, 2008 at 7:22 am

I hope you had a good time in NYC for Thanksgiving. I have been told that when I was about 3 yrs. old we lived on venison that my dad had shot while hunting. He was going from being employed to starting his own business and this was one of the ways they saved money. But as good as a cook my parents are, we did not have chanterelles on our meat. Splendid job!

• 23 peter // Dec 1, 2008 at 7:24 am

I don;t have to tell you the meat looks awsome but the cherry mostarda is what caught my eye…interesting condiment concept!

• 24 Jack // Dec 1, 2008 at 11:36 am

That’s one beautiful dish! Venison Cherries Chantrelles I love it all!

• 25 democommie // Dec 1, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Sorry I missed saying “Happy Thanksgiving” before the fact. Hope you had a good one.

I used to rent a room from a guy who got two or three deer every year and he used to eat venison steaks for breakfast. He never did anything imaginative, which seemed like a shame.

I’ve been enduring a bout of sciatica for the last 10 days, not fun. I did, however have a nice day on Thanksgiving, with friends. And then on Saturday I went to a “Hunters” dinner. I think I’ll put the menu on my blog–come see.

I just finished a nice bowl of stew

• 26 democommie // Dec 1, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Boy, this computer is so touchy!

As I was saying, I just finished a nice bowl of stew. Just top round, no game–very good, nonetheless. And I’m watching “Eat, Drink, Man, Woman” one of my favorites.

• 27 Quickthink » Blog Archive » A Quick Detour to Food // Dec 3, 2008 at 5:22 am

[...] Venison with cherry mostarda and chanterelles? Cook, Eat Fret has a few words for you. [...]

• 28 lifeinrecipes // Dec 3, 2008 at 7:48 am

Hope you had a wonderful holiday.

I’d love the mostarda recipe, please!

• 29 njdmoonhill // Aug 6, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Would love the cherry mostarda, since cherries are in season now. If I made it now (August), will it keep till Thanksgiving?