the power of the pantry

May 18th, 2008 · 32 Comments

there are times when the mere thought of whipping up a dinner is just more than i can bear.  and although you may have guessed this about me, the act of cooking  – just being in my kitchen and creating something delicious – is in my world, one of life’s most wondrous pleasures.

but still…

instead of a full blown production including a trip to ‘whole foods’, there are those times that dinner begins with a simple charcuterie plate. these days it’s mostly all about d’artganan’s saucisson sec and duck prosciutto. but i’ve also become somewhat enamored  with this smoked liverwurst – and with an exceptional cheese or two and some white truffle honey – coupled with the latest greatest cracker find, what more could you ever ask for?  oh, except these crazy olives that i somehow fell upon last year… i urge you to try them.  they are meaty and addictive and most definitely unique

or maybe instead,  a bowl of some interesting artisan pasta with some amazing olive oil and the best parmegiano you can lay your hands upon, grated liberally with perhaps an anchovy or two thrown in with some very finely minced garlic.  or that same pasta with a tin of really amazing smoked piquillo peppers stuffed with tuna, the can thrown into the boiling pasta water to heat.  i’d happily take either of these alongside my favorite salad of romaine, arugula, walnut oil and – well, the best salt that you can lay your hands upon…  it’s all about the pantry, people.  it’s the power of the pantry.

i look forward to these simple dinners more than you might expect.  they are borne of the immediate options at hand, with the added bonus of a light cleanup, all the more reason that they most definitely have their place within a life that is sometimes a bit too busy, sometimes a bit too lazy – often numbering a few times a week around here.

but, quite honestly, another aspect that motivates me is that i’m perpetually curious about what extraordinary products exist in the universe.  and it can be overwhelming.  so much great food, so little time… the grocery bill goes relentlessly over budget, guiltlessly spilling into the restaurant allowance.  as it should…

recently we had a pantry dinner and afterwards, i was craving something sweet.  so i dug deep into the ‘way back’ – and came up with some italian organic candied orange peel and a bar of pralus single note chocolate.  nothing unusual.  nothing complicated.  but for me, it’s as good as nearly anything…

i may not be jetting off to europe this spring, but my pantry is quite the culinary wonderland.  and you know, i feel pretty damn good about it all…

Tags: chocolate · dessert

• 1 cheap car insurance quotes Vancouver WA // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:41 pm

8-7-12Mirela spune: Buna. Ai putea sa imi cauti si mie driverele de sunet si video? nu prea ma pricep. Sunet= smwdm.sys iar pt video = ialmrnt5.dll . Cred ca astea sunt. Ms… +50V-a ajutat acest raspuns?

• 2 cheap full coverage auto insurance Kenosha WI // Sep 26, 2016 at 2:10 am

Way to go on this essay, helped a ton.

• 3 low income car insurance Hephzibah GA // Sep 26, 2016 at 2:45 am

Pin my tail and call me a donkey, that really helped.

• 4 full coverage auto insurance Roseville CA // Sep 26, 2016 at 3:12 am

Fallin’ for erry’ 4Chan “Reliable” Sega Developer about their fanfic game, n’ believin’ That Sonic won an Oscar award for an accumulated 17 seconds appearance in a movie full of video game characters.The fucking Sonic fanbase, everybody.

• 5 low income auto insurance KY // Sep 26, 2016 at 3:58 am

Köszi lánykák!Kössetek ilyen kendőket, nagyon gyorsan megvan, nagyon jó a mérete meg a formája.Vastag fonalból igazi jó kis nyakbavaló.Bármelyiknek a csipkéjét rá tudjátok tenni a leírásom alapján, mert a szaporítós sorban annyit szaporítotok, amennyit akartok. Mária, talán 6,5-essel, most hirtelen nem is tudom. Vastag fonal, elvégre tél van, vagy mi?!?!:-)

• 6 average car insurance rates in Merced CA // Sep 26, 2016 at 5:19 am

This horror is beyond comprehension– and her courage is beyond measure. We look for analogues to try to provide context, but they are pitifully inadequate.I don’t know what comfort is to be found in the rantings of the Quran, but still, I hope she finds it.Thank you for this, Dymphna. These testaments change hearts– slowly to be sure– but the tilt of the mightiest scale will eventually be turned by a single grain of sand.

• 7 car insurance Appleton WI // Sep 26, 2016 at 5:40 am

I’m sure someone will correct me on this (the old joke is two jews = three opinons), but I remember learning the term for emigration to Israel: ‘aliyah.’ which means ‘ascension.’ This places the rest of the world in an interesting position relative to Israel.

• 8 cheap auto insurance quotes Cleveland OH // Sep 26, 2016 at 5:55 am

Fantastic put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing. I am sure, you have a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & assist different customers like its aided me. Good job.

• 9 car insurance Lenoir NC // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:03 am

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

• 10 car insurance // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:10 am

Thank you! This is one of the best things I have read all week. So refreshing to hear this perspective from someone on the inside – someone who has a seat at the table. So challenging! I have saved this post and I’ve no doubt I’ll be referring back to it many times over the coming months as I begin to explore what it might mean to allow people to have a forum to outwork their epiphanies – not simply have them!Wow.

• 11 free car insurance quotes Kingsbury IN // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:58 am

me and the kids are having vegan lentil curry for dinner – meat loving man is away in India! (and probably living off pizza)I've never seen anyone make curtains look as good as you do – another cracking outfit from your own fair hands.xx

• 12 auto insurance Corpus Christi TX // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:42 am

Shelley, thank you so much for sharing. You are so right. There is something about seeing them coming, isn’t there? We are ready to put up the fight, keep plugging away. When you are preparing to move, the minutiae and the large-scale intersect in some powerful ways. I am praying for you as you feel these losses — comfort, grace, peace. Love you.

• 13 cheap auto insurance Saint Augustine FL // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:46 am

What an awesome way to explain this-now I know everything!

• 14 car insurance Friendswood TX // Sep 26, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Sharp thinking! Thanks for the answer.

• 15 payless auto insurance North Little Rock AR // Sep 26, 2016 at 2:20 pm

People normally pay me for this and you are giving it away!

• 16 cheapest car insurance // Sep 26, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is just nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

• 17 cheapest car insurance in Warrensburg MO // Sep 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Comme je déteste les manipulations de ceux qui utilisent plusieurs pseudos, je précise pour éviter tout malentendu de la part d’un lecteur distrait : entorse exceptionnelle * à mon unicité de pseudo, c’est bien moi qui signe Vanda décodé.* En toute transparence et sans qu’il s’agisse d’un véritable « autre pseudo », tout comme lorsque je m’occupe d’un débalisage.

• 18 direct auto insurance Thibodaux LA // Sep 26, 2016 at 5:19 pm

This is a neat summary. Thanks for sharing!

• 19 full coverage car insurance Iron Mountain MI // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:06 pm

I like this website very much, Its a rattling nice office to read and get information. “Wisdom denotes the pursuing of the best ends by the best means.” by Francis Hutcheson.

• 20 cheapest car insurance Rosedale NY // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Hey Jerry, how about a little piece on the somerset county & union county coaching openings. Some big schools out their with openings, Bridgewater, Franklin & Plainfield. Your articles and blogs are must reads so maybe a small piece about this,,,,

• 21 low income car insurance dmv Arlington Heights IL // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Bra inlägg som vanligt, Mattias.Jag är intresserad av din bok "Blott en afton bor jag här", finns det något sätt att få tag på den eller hur ser situationen ut?mvh

• 22 cheap car insurance Lufkin TX // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Tack för fina kommentarer hos mig vännen 🙂 Ja, sonen fick en hel del bonuspaket. Det brukar bli sÃ¥ när de smÃ¥ firas nÃ¥gra gÃ¥nger, stor kram pÃ¥ dig!PS. FÃ¥r jag frÃ¥ga vart i Sverige ni bor? Norr, söder?

• 23 cheap auto insurance Wilmington DE // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:08 pm

"Just consider the hours that big lawyers work in New York now compared to the white-shoe days–a Jewish cultural change."Why is this better?

• 24 us agency car insurance Springfield VA // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Julie LundHej Amalie først vil vi lige sige at vi synes du er vildt nice! :-)Vi er to veninder der elsker J.LO 😉 og vi kunne virkelig godt tænke os at komme med, det ville være en kæmpe stor oplevelse!Vi hÃ¥ber du vil vælge os! :-)Julie & Maha <3

• 25 car insurance with no license in Cheyenne WY // Sep 26, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Had this exact same problem (except I tried installing media centre, IE10 and hyper-v all at once). Rebooted to black screen with blue logo, I waited over an hour (wondering if it was somehow downloading a large install file or something). System restore didn’t work, I eventually found this post on my phone. I have gigabyte USB 3.0 mobo and disabling it fixed my problem. Don’t even want hyper-v now haha. Am going to try updating my BIOS now anyway, as I hear that it speeds up boot time.

• 26 car insurance rates Fort Lauderdale FL // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:53 am

Articles like this just make me want to visit your website even more.

• 27 cheap sr22 insurance Cranston RI // Sep 27, 2016 at 12:57 am

Interesting comment in his book,Avoid Boring People:(BTW how do i do that when I am alone??) “While it was all right for me to know more about a topic than my 6th grade teacher ever learned,questioning her facts could only lead to trouble…Save flights of rebellion for when authority does not have you by the throat.” Hmmmm…

• 28 auto acceptance insurance Jesup GA // Sep 27, 2016 at 1:51 am

Das klingt ja nicht gut. Warst du wenigstens schon mal beim Arzt? Selber rumdocktern ist nicht immer die beste Idee.Gute Besserung,Eric

• 29 list of auto insurances in Santa Rosa CA // Sep 27, 2016 at 3:11 am

Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is magnificent, as well as the content!. Thanks For Your article about Carlos Nelson Coutinho (1943-2012): obra e vida valorosas | marxismo21 .

• 30 non owners auto insurance quotes Picayune MS // Sep 27, 2016 at 3:21 am

butt with a big waist. The foods that are really great for your butt are also good for your body. Junk foods – like processed foods and fast foods – might seem like a good option to quic…, but overall, they’re not helpful to developing a beautiful curvy

• 31 auto insurance Poway CA // Sep 27, 2016 at 4:37 am

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

• 32 affordable auto insurance Lansdowne PA // Sep 27, 2016 at 5:14 am

I’m a guy? and way keener on cocktails. Simple reason, majority of beer tastes like asshole compared to a lot of cocktails. I drink for the taste, not to get “wasted off manly beer”. Half the cocktails Skyy makes would bust beer drinkers a new A hole anyway.

• 33 look auto insurance Covina CA // Sep 27, 2016 at 8:02 am

سلام. آقای عباس زاده پارسال از دانشگاه خودتون، از همون پاییز شروع کرد و رتبش ۳ شد. کلی آدم دیگه همهستن که شرایط مشابه داشتن و از آوردن اسم همشون دیگه صرف نظر می کنم.