A16’s short ribs alla genovese x2

November 21st, 2008 · 28 Comments

if you read ceF, then you know that i prefer italian cooking over all others. it’s my automatic go to. it’s what feels right to me – kind of like the color black, a burmese cat, the nyc vibe and the smell of cary’s neck. these are things that work for me on a regular basis. the things that make me, me.

ok, those things – and black and white cookies.

but the italian food phenomenon is a relatively common shared love, unlike perhaps, cary’s neck – both of these working in my favor. because whereas you best stay away from my man, the craft of italian cooking (and any cooking) can be shared and enjoyed through great dinners at home and in restaurants, reading books, traveling…

well, and then there are the bloggers.

and we all have our favorites. the ones that makes us laugh, the cooks we wish we were, the farmer and forager, the beautiful photographer, the great writer… and a few that perhaps have just the right blend of whatever it is that makes you, you.

i’ve grown pretty fond of so many food blogs, but there’s a few out there in particular that seem to feel the whole italian thing in the way that i do. and there’s one woman in particular… the italian dish. she’s the one who shamed me into buying the KA rollers and finally making my own pasta. and for that i am beyond grateful. and then there was her cookbook giveaway, where i was somehow lucky enough to land a copy of ‘A16 food + wine‘, a cookbook from san francisco’s acclaimed restaurant that celebrates perhaps my favorite part of italy, campania.

i’ve been making a concerted effort to cook more from my books. i have this wonderful collection that i often admire for its overall beauty – a personal and peculiar aesthetic, i know. and although i truly do realize that it’s what’s inside that matters – in this instance my books are mostly untapped. and let’s face it, admiring potential is merely living in the future, which would be awfully unzenlike of me.

but, i had 2 packages of boned, meaty short ribs in my refrigerator, with no real plan for them. so i flipped through my books and of them all – and there were many to choose from, A16 had the dish (with zuni cafe, a close second). it was a perfect ingredient list, not too complicated and after salting the meat well, and putting it back in the refrigerator to sit for 2+ days, i could contemplate the present knowing that the future was under control.

a note – laurent tourondel in his book ‘the new american bistro cooking’, had a recipe that sounded quite good as well. and if president elect obama was coming to dinner, or eric clapton, jeremy irons or my tony – or even if it had been new years eve or cary’s birthday, i might have considered making his braised short ribs with garlic-thyme brown butter. but with two (2) full bottles of red wine, four (4)cups of ruby port and eleven (11) cups of assorted kind of stock… well, maybe another time. but hey in the meantime, file this little trick away – tourondel’s bouquet garni was rolled up with BACON. only going to show that the man is an absolute genius…

(post browning – pre braising…)

short ribs alla genovese
adapted from A16 food + wine

cooks notes – i used short ribs off the bone and they worked well.
i used 4 jarred anchovy fillets in olive oil because i already owned them
i used about 8 peppercorns because i am rebellious by nature

6 lbs short ribs – about 6 ribs total
kosher salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil – plus more for finishing
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1/2 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 salt packed anchovy, rinsed, fileted, soaked and then minced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
5 black peppercorns
4 red onions, thinly sliced
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 sprig of rosemary

trim some fat from the ribs leaving the sinewy silverskin behind. season evenly with about 2 Tablespoons of salt. cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days.

preheat oven to 275f

in a large dutch oven, or other heavy bottomed pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium high heat. working in 2 batches so as not to crowd the pot, brown evenly on all sides. transfer to a plate and set aside. pour out the fat and if the remove any burned bits of meat. if pot looks scorched, deglaze with water. if the liquid tastes ok, use it – otherwise discard. (my pot was just brown – not burned so i just let it be.). reserve pot to make the sauce.

meanwhile, in a small pot, reduce the wine over medium high heat to about 1/2 a cup.

to make the sauce, on low heat add 2 more tablespoons of oil to first pot and then add the carrots and celery and sweat slowly, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until softened. be careful not to brown. add the garlic, anchovy and peppercorns and continue to cook for 3 minutes, or until garlic begins to soften. add the onions with a pinch of salt (do not oversalt as the meat has been well salted), cooking until onions are softened and translucent – about 5 minutes. stir in the vinegar and the reduced wine and remove the pot from the heat.

return the ribs to the pot and with the rosemary sprig and cover tightly with foil or lid. transfer to the oven and braise for about 2 1/2 hours or until the short ribs are tender when pierced.

to serve, remove the rosemary sprig and transfer the ribs to a large rimmed serving platter. ladle the sauce on top and drizzle with olive oil.to finish. serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil

these ribs are even better if cooled down completely and served the following day.

what i didn’t quite understand was the red onion scenario. in A16’s book, the picture of the finished platter shows no sign of them anywhere. but there are tons of them in the pot… so, the first night i served the short ribs over simply puréed cauliflower, the meat inundated with onions.

enter exhibit a:

it was quite good and we ate it happily, but at some point it dawned upon me that this was not the best way to go. so the next night i served it with 95% less onion, reduced the sauce and piled it all on some jasmine rice mixed through with the leftover pumpkin from the babbo cake. risotto crossed my mind but it was a weeknight and short ribs are pretty decadent as it is, so the orangey bed it rested upon was totally fat-free and proud of it.

the recipe is solid and i highly recommend that you make it. and soon. but i must admit that i was tempted to call the restaurant and talk to the chef, nate appleman so i could KNOW about the mystery of the red onions.

but instead i let it go.

because it was all exactly as it should be.
further proof of a more zen-like existence…

Tags: beef

• 1 holiday insurance price comparison // Sep 22, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Oh no, I was too late with my post, at least you have another and you must try them. The chickens are sulking a bit, but they get plenty of other things to distract them.

• 2 where to get the cheapest car insurance // Sep 22, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Haha – I just posted two comments on your old post "Yay for Fruitcake" and one was about the weirdness of the dates…didn't even see that the year was off! Sigh.I need some fruitcake.

• 3 hastings direct car insurance review // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:10 am

Hello.Am Nasreen Hosany from Mauritius.I have excellent typing skills, as this is my current job.I wish to apply for a job as administrative staff or even I wish to apply for carer or social worker.Please guide me.Thanks

• 4 car hire insurance quote // Sep 23, 2016 at 3:30 am

I love the lumberjack pattern and even though I’ve seen it everywhere I still can’t wait to try it out as soon as the weather goes a little bit chilly.Wishing you a smooth move-in.Linked you, btw. Really cool blog you have here 🙂

• 5 cheapest car insurance for international students // Sep 23, 2016 at 5:44 am

Thanks to everyone for comments and for liking A Jacket for Life. Much appreciated!For more information about our film-making process visit our blogs at jancawood.wordpress.com/ and magalipettier.com/ or follow us on twitter for occasional updates.Best wishesJan and Magali

• 6 20 dollar car insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 6:28 am

I’ve got———-Howard———Clichy—Lescott—GallasBarry–A. Young–Gerrard(C)–ArtetaDefoe—Bent—Zakiwith L. Young the first sub if as is likely, A. Young misses out. Next week I’m getting off of the Everton defenders(who have killed me after I invested heavily due to their seemingly favorable fixtures to start the season) and likely use that money to upgrade Gerrard to C.Ron

• 7 cheap car insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:25 am

Woah nelly, how about them apples!

• 8 http://nacmm.info/i-need-insurance.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 9:44 am

Clear, informative, simple. Could I send you some e-hugs?

• 9 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/csaa-auto-insurance.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 10:22 am

At last, someone who knows where to find the beef

• 10 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/amax-auto-insurance-in-bedford-tx.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 11:15 am

loving the pink items you posted especially the lotus tea candle holder! love! BTW, i must thank you for bringing such inspiration to me! I adore your blog.

• 11 cheap auto insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Whoops, sorry Alan, I think I removed all your comments when I was getting rid of the double.You asked approximately: “can I use one of your images in my blog title”.My answer is that I don’t own these images. If you want to be very correct about it, you would need to ask permission from Posner Library. But I think that it is a matter for you – the illustrations are out of copyright and I think it is very very very unlikely that anyone would object to you using the image.

• 12 http://destinedfg.com/insure-a-car-for-a-few-days.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I searched a bunch of sites and this was the best.

• 13 south carolina drivers license renewal // Sep 23, 2016 at 7:19 pm

People normally pay me for this and you are giving it away!

• 14 car insurance laws in alabama // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:33 pm

How many weeks’ holiday a year are there? I want to move to Hungry – Budapest – beautiful abundant girls – and broke – I like how the Russian guy treats her nicer than invading the fucking country.

• 15 york state insurance // Sep 23, 2016 at 10:46 pm

It’s great to find someone so on the ball

• 16 http://nacmm.info/car-insurance-newton-iowa.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 11:05 pm

It's ridiculous that Vodafone contract customers are able to purchase an iPhone 4 a week later while others like myself who wanted to purchase one on the release date and weren't able to, and purchased it from Apple directly still have to wait another three weeks to receive it. Apple were more than happy to take our money straight away while we all still have to wait.(normanstrange has made 3 comments)

• 17 http://destinedfg.com/average-insurance-calculator.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 1:01 am

Articles like this are an example of quick, helpful answers.

• 18 progressive auto repair warren mi // Sep 24, 2016 at 1:23 am

Happy birthday!!  And welcome to the club!  Hope you had a lovely one!  Teething….we also used camomilla granules which are similar to the ashtons and parsons, with just a little bit more kick.  (all natural, don't worry)Shoes….check out Robees As always, love reading your posts xoxo

• 19 http://jummum-nyc.com/new-life-insurance-companies-in-india.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 1:55 am

Pin my tail and call me a donkey, that really helped.

• 20 dui accident // Sep 24, 2016 at 3:16 am

Mexico City at 7,500' and Bogotá at 8,600' both with beautiful mountains and excellent climate must be the next emerging whitopias.*This is a serious question: are there any 'blacktopias"?*Yes, there are. Barbados, the Bahamas, Cape Verde, and the island nations around Madagascar have high incomes, high education, low crime, and majority black citizenry.

• 21 http://jummum-nyc.com/how-much-is-insurance-on-a-car.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 3:27 am

I think you’ve just captured the answer perfectly

• 22 cheap car inc // Sep 24, 2016 at 6:07 am

God, I feel like I should be takin notes! Great work

• 23 car insurance oxford nc // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:24 am

Hello – I must say, I’m impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and information was very easy to access. I found what I wanted in no time at all. Pretty awesome. Would appreciate it if you add forums or something, it would be a perfect way for your clients to interact. Great job

• 24 replacement value on car insurance // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:42 am

Yo, that’s what’s up truthfully.

• 25 http://jummum-nyc.com/american-family-insurance-carthage-mo.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:14 am

Most help articles on the web are inaccurate or incoherent. Not this!

• 26 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/car-insurance-taylor-tx.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 1:09 pm

One more thing I would like to convey is that as opposed to trying to accommodate all your online degree training on times that you end work (since the majority of people are drained when they return), try to have most of your lessons on the weekends and only one or two courses in weekdays, even if it means a little time off your weekend. This pays off because on the week-ends, you will be much more rested as well as concentrated upon school work. Thanks a lot for the different suggestions I have acquired from your blog.

• 27 http://adoradoslegacy.com/call-swinton-car-insurance.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Hosted%20by:%20Mom Blog Society Co-Hosted By: My%20Vegan%20Gluten%20Free%20Life%20Powered By Mom Military%20Travel%20Mama%20Route249 Mom%20Does%20Reviews%20Mom To Bed By

• 28 motorcycle insurance california // Sep 24, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Super informative writing; keep it up.

• 29 united of omaha life insurance company phone number // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Playing Devil's advocate for a moment, from China's point of view (and looking at the big picture), all that is happening is a reversion to the normal state of affairs. China has about a fifth of world population and has traditionally had about a quarter of world GDP. There was a more-or-less permanent flow of silver into China as the rest of the world bought Chinese silk and other goods. The last couple of centuries have been an aberration. Maybe Stein's Law applies that way round?

• 30 healthy kids insurance california // Sep 24, 2016 at 5:27 pm

I loved The Bone People. But my Prospero's Book – Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad I couldn't work out what was going on, and it wasn't long before I didn't care!And I, too, adandoned The Unbearable Lightness of Being, for the same reason.

• 31 http://jummum-nyc.com/car-insurance-for-overseas-drivers.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Härligt att se, det verkar vara en trend att hemside/bloggägare tar bort nofollow. Vet att Du på detta sätt får fler läsare. Kanske inte dem du helst önskar men besökarna höjer statusen på din site och ger dig bättre placeringsmöjligheter.

• 32 best auto insurance in Pensacola FL // Sep 24, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Congested pores need Salicylic Acid in a 2% strength. The Beta Hydroxy Acid can exfoliate inside our oil glands!!! This can be applied every night or twice a day for difficult cases and will reduce clogged pores.

• 33 cheapest auto insurance in Mcdonough GA // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Nothing I could say would give you undue credit for this story.

• 34 http://adoradoslegacy.com/vw-auto-insurance.html // Sep 25, 2016 at 12:01 am

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my site thus i came to “return the want”.I’m attempting to find things to improve my site!I guess its ok to make use of some of your concepts!!

• 35 car insurance Lexington KY // Sep 25, 2016 at 3:08 am

Merci Gracianne, de le rappeler à nos bons souvenirs. La nostalgie nous gagne, et il va falloir changer le disque pour retrouver un peu de pep’s…Et, une bonne ballade dans la campagne avec ce temps de printemps, c’est bon pour les “batteries” !A bientôt.

• 36 list of auto insurances in Dublin OH // Sep 25, 2016 at 3:53 am

Free info like this is an apple from the tree of knowledge. Sinful?

• 37 cheapest car insurance in Jamaica NY // Sep 25, 2016 at 6:59 am

LOVE Barcelona! Luckily it's only a couple of hours away from me- it makes it easier to think I will go back! Love the markets and all the Gaudi. I am trying to convince my parents to visit their too.

• 38 auto owners insurance Fairmont WV // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:40 am

of nutella made it’s way to my kitchen. Reason: I wanted to make A Spicy Perspective’s Zucchini and Nutella Muffins (they were amazing!). And since I had a lot of nutella left, I decided to try and get

• 39 no down payment car insurance in Brockton MA // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:58 am

il n’aura pas fallu bien longtemps ! »Taper l’incruste » semble être passé dans le langage courant des journalistes: titre aujourd’hui Lemonde.fr.

• 40 cheap auto insurance East Orange NJ // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:39 am

Таки такТю, знайшли винних. За гроші чи ні, люди роблять реальне діло для україномовного світу. Не шукайте винних.

• 41 car insurance rates Columbia MO // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:43 am

What happens to Jews in America if the Israel-Iran (or other moslem country) has secondary and tertiary consequences such as oil prices greater than $200/bbl, Suez Canal and/or Straights of Hormuz closed and the severe economic toll such events would have in America?

• 42 cheap auto insurance quotes TN // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:21 am

You’re absolutely right about NHPs. Two of three of studies I mention here were about exercise, not a NHP. These studies involved supervised exercise and did not depend on self-reporting by participants.

• 43 affordable car insurance Ontario CA // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:27 am

hahaha .. kasian .kalau ak sih ga pernah donlot .. mending mesen aja langsung dari belanda . pasti nyampe 3 minggu kmudian . heheaku punya nih ubuntu 9.04. mau ?

• 44 car insurance in Washington DC // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:47 am

I see, I suppose that would have to be the case.

• 45 car insurance quotes Orlando FL // Sep 25, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Quante belle ricette ho visto in questo periodo con questi prodotti…peccato essermi persa il contest..complimenti anche a te…ottimo strudel…Il mondo di Milla è sbarcato su facebook se ti unisci ai miei lettori mi farà piacere, a presto

• 46 list of auto insurances in Arlington VA // Sep 25, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I’m not sure exactly why but this site is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

• 47 nj auto insurance // Sep 25, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Goshh! I have ordered from Latvian designer RR similar handmade leather harness. They have amazing leather bracelets from buff, goat- skin, salmon skin as well [ perheps i didn't mentioned all].Happy Easter to You and your family!♥ xoxo Ra

• 48 cheap auto insurance Walled Lake MI // Sep 25, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I’m all signed up for BlogHer and I’m very excited about it. I hope that you and anyone else who is interested can find a way to attend. Hubby and Girlie are coming along too with strict instructions to pretend I’m not there (they’re going to hang out at the pool).

• 49 auto insurance quotes Branson MO // Sep 25, 2016 at 3:50 pm

2008/10/12 Mas…mo nanya, kok harus nambahin perintah ini yah ?mencoder -forceidx -oac copy -ovc copy VIDEO.avi -o video.aviapa belum cukup kalau digabungin biasa yah ? Soalnya saya buka yang VIDEO.avi, gak ada masalah…Terima kasih sebelumnya….