the metamorphosis of the eggplant tapas

August 30th, 2007 · 2 Comments

img_1238-1.JPG

people of the foodie blogosphere, i present to you – a mediocre photo of theperfect round festive finger food – and hey – get this…it was not ever really meant to exist.you know,likesome good version ofthe perfect storm. due to what was circulating out there in kitchen land, it just happened to come together – just so… and in stages.

now i realize it doesn’t look like much. but let me tell you about this little fella and how he came to be…

when i was cooking for one, and before the days of ‘alone in the kitchen with an eggplant‘, i used to on occasionbuy theseluxuriouslooking deep purple shiny footballs. and i’d pretty much do the first step below and call it dinner. but what i am about to describe to you right here and now isboth the bonafide andthevirtual evolution of the little hors d’oeurvethat could… so put on your reading glasses and hold on tight. wait, what’s that you say? you’re only 30? good gawd…

1. the eggplant – from my csa share – was small in stature, perhaps 8 inches long so the thinly sliced roundswerejust the perfect size. i put them on my large grill plate that stretches across 2 burners on my stove, as many as i could – lightly olive oiled and salted – and browned them. that was good enough for me. i begin eating. magically delicious.

2. but half way through my eggplant, i realized that right in my fridge was the roasted tomato saucethat i’dmade the day beforefrom all the little red and yellowtomatoes – from my csa share- cut lengthwise and roasted in my oven at 250 for 2 hours with just some maldon salt and fresh pepper. after they cooled i had put them in the vitamix along with some really good olive oil and a touch of sugar. the flavor wasshockingly good. especially atop the eggplant rounds.

3. and just when there were maybe only 5 rounds ofeggplant left, it hit me! i had a primo batch of frozen pesto that i’d made awhile back. not wanting to defrost all of it, i threw the ziplock in the microwave for about 20 seconds until the edge thawed slightly and i broke a chunk off with a knife. and man was that a good idea…

it was an eggplant’s crowning glory.

Tags: pesto · tomatoes · vegetables

• 1 http://elitecarolina.com/how-to-file-a-complaint-against-auto-insurance-company-in-texas.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:55 am

Spain always had a large Jewish population"Not practizing Jews or even "Judaizers" but some conversos. If they found you were practizing even mild forms of Judaism… Kaput.

• 2 http://bothco.com/how-long-is-a-car-insurance-quote-valid-for.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Did you give a try to Angelato's ice creams? Perfect consistency (not too much frozen) and delicious taste. Saturday afternoon, sunbathing, a couple of scoops: was also a great moment of food!

• 3 http://easterntownshipsfilmfestival.com/car-insurance-for-one-month.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I can see why this frustrates you. K's race shouldn't even be an issue to anybody, it's a shame that in 2012 some people are unable to focus on other things rather than just race!My husband is half Korean, quarter Native American and quarter African American. I'm white. I'm sure we'll get lots of questions about the race of our baby too when they're born. This post has given me something to think about!

• 4 http://casinoenlinea.top/quiero-juegos-gratis-para-descargar.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Também gostaria de ver o CD deles na Canção Nova porque é o lugar onde os católicos de todos os cantos do brasil vão para rezar e tambem comprar produtos da cançao nova e seria uma forma de facilitar a compra desse CD pelos fãs que ás vezes nao sabem onde comprar….

• 5 http://jugaronlinepoker.info/estrategias-del-poker-pdf.html // Sep 20, 2016 at 4:53 am

Hi Marcia- congrats on deni’s wedding- you LOOKED stunning and i would like to know where you got your dress, as my daughters engagment is coming up and a shift dress like that would be perfect= would dearly appreciate your help!Di

• 6 http://buscavuelosbaratos.top/skyscanner-receiving-booster.html // Sep 20, 2016 at 8:14 am

dalvia echeverria / Gostei muito com a mudança,qualquer informação sobre saúde ,leis,politica é e sera muito bem vindo,mesmo curiosidades como essa do café do milho da banana etc…Tentar derrubar alguns mitos e explicar outros.Gostei deste comentário ou não: 2

• 7 auto owners insurance Mandeville LA // Sep 20, 2016 at 11:29 am

Laura Bender – This is my 2nd granddaughter. She is absolutely beautiful. Your photographs are wonderful. I just want to pick her up and squeeze her. Thanks for the slideshow.

• 8 free auto insurance quotes Torrance CA // Sep 20, 2016 at 10:02 pm

… skriver:Varför belasta en person med LPT när personen frivilligt lÃ¥ter sig läggas in?Varför konsekvent och envist neka personen samtal med läkare som han gÃ¥ng pÃ¥ gÃ¥ng ber om, men i stället ha kontakt med tredje person om honom?Jag känner den här mannen och han är definitivt inte som tredje person i saken pÃ¥stÃ¥r och fick läkarna att tro pÃ¥.ÂÂ

• 9 full coverage auto insurance Morgantown WV // Sep 21, 2016 at 3:48 am

/ Thanks for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such excellent info being shared freely out there.

• 10 http://www.bilforsakringar.pw/ // Sep 21, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Si vous vous lavez les mains dix mille fois, le pressoir du pousse mousse risque d'être encore plus crado que vos mains…Hugo: mais que signifie "micro en stl bgb"…ça sent les abréviations de spécialistes…Ivan: C'est super: tout ce qui me rapproche de MacGyver me rend plus forte.Morisset: hélas, je suis mon propre patron… d'où ma schizophrénie…

• 11 http://bastakreditkort.info/lån-direkt-svar.html // Sep 21, 2016 at 6:04 pm

49a142ona 26c6b82daHello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.22

• 12 http://www.nlautoverzekeringen.info/ // Sep 21, 2016 at 7:18 pm

You really make it appear really easy along with your presentation but I in finding this topic to be actually one thing which I think I would by no means understand. It sort of feels too complicated and very huge for me. I am having a look ahead in your subsequent post, I’ll try to get the grasp of it!

• 13 http://vergelijkcreditcards.pw/creditcard-met-krediet-zonder-bkr.html // Sep 22, 2016 at 3:09 am

Maximum Body Massage Needed I am buying a full body massage at your house today. x minutes to some hours. This is the most stressful time of the year for our business and I need t mature looking for sex o relax for awhile. adult find friends