nyc 2.08 part 4

February 23rd, 2008 · 13 Comments

friday since my morning was pretty much all about getting my hair cut and colored, and i could go on and on about the place and my team of guys and how they are incredibly talented at what they do and how i have given up on letting anyone in nashville touch my hair – blah blah blah… instead i’ll choose not to bore you, and we’ll just go straight to lunch, ok? because really, this lunch was to be spectacular – on two different levels. so after the coiff, i took the bus at 56th and 5th straight down to 26th street and made my way the one block to madison ave.

a voce‘ was jennifer’s idea. yes, THAT jennifer. you know, ‘last night’s dinner‘? the incredible food blog that makes you want to crawl through your monitor and into her brooklyn kitchen and just watch her cook night after night. you get the distinct feeling that jennifer takes her cooking seriously – and that most of what she does is deeply considered and that her dishes are weighted against both experience and experiments. this food blogger understands the individual elements of recipes in some kind of inherent way that i never will.

but i can surely recognize greatness -and jennifer is a great cook. a natural.

img_2579.JPG

sooooo, i’ve been sucking up to jennifer for quite some time now in the hopes of meeting her. my last trip she was (ahem) "too busy" for lunch – but this time around i was able to get to spend the afternoon dining with her at one of my new favorite restaurants of all time. i requested that jennifer order for the table and she decided on 3 anti pasti and 2 primi’s, forgoing the secondi offerings. i conferred with her choices and then we were off…

img_2572.JPG

(a perfect salad of radicchio, frisee, prosciutto, pecorino sardo and black truffle)

img_2568.JPG

(grilled octopus with peperonata, arugula and lemon sauce)

img_2567-1.JPG

(duck meatballs with a dried cherry mostarda)

img_2573.JPG

(homemade pappardelle with lamb bolognese and sheep’s milk ricotta)

img_2574.JPG

(spaghetti with pancetta, cabbage and pecorino)

img_2578.JPG

(bombolina alla toscana ~or~ custard filled doughnuts with chocolate sauce)

img_2580.JPG

(this was me, not jennifer…not proud…)

for the record,  a voce, with it’s one michelin star, was- imho – the clear winner over blt market, insieme and anthos. i realize this is based on only one meal at each place and that i am partial to a more rustic italian style of food. but there were no ‘just ok’ dishes. everything was a standout. the preparation was impecable and the flavors popped. a voce won me over, bigtime. but undoubtedly the best part of this stellar lunch, was sharing some wine and stories with jennifer…

i am such a fan.

Tags: travel

• 1 Diana // Feb 23, 2008 at 8:38 am

Of the pictured food above, my favorite is the lamb bolognese with that dollop of ricotta… must try! The doughnuts look delish, too. I’m an unashamed dessert gal. I read about your Per Se experience over at Carol’s. Can’t wait to read about it from your perspective!

• 2 democommie // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:00 am

If they find me inside the restaurant when they respond to the silent alarm, face down in a puddle of bolognese with a bombolina alla toscana clutched in my unconcious fingers, I will name you as a co-conspirator!

And to think, the last time I was in NYC I couldn’t even find a place to park so I could run into Zabar’s and grab something to “take with”.

Meanwhile, I just finished my first real breakfast (in my new, old house) of a nice thick slice of ham with a couple eggs, fried in butter and the ham’s juices, some 12 grain toast and a pint of OJ. I had to take the stockpot off the hotplate to cook, so dishes will have to wait until the water boils. While I would not recommend this style of living for those who are in relationships, it is kinda fun. As soon as I don’t have to worry about plaster dust and other such things falling in the soup, I’ll start cooking again.

Thanks for the joy.

• 3 ponyboat // Feb 23, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Everything looks delicious. Still prefer your kitchen. Which reminds me, I’m free Monday!

• 4 Lauren // Feb 23, 2008 at 7:54 pm

thanks. now i have drool on my keyboard. i blame the duck meatballs…

• 5 michelle @ Us vs. Food // Feb 24, 2008 at 9:29 am

okay, the duck meatballs and pappardelle are killing. why did i go into non-profit work in a city with all this food? my eating habits need to be subsidized.

i does make me pretty happy that my bomboloni look almost as good as those, though – and were served on the same dishes and everything. go me.

can’t wait to hear about per se.

• 6 cary // Feb 24, 2008 at 2:19 pm

after all those process and presentation shots….finally and after (fret) shot. the grilled octopus is my pick of the litter.

• 7 Donald // Feb 24, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Okay….

One word: omnomnomnomnom!

Dontcha just love onomatopoeia?

Your adventure has me reeeeeeeeley green with envy.

Lo siento.

• 8 melissa // Feb 25, 2008 at 5:16 pm

that’s so wonderful that you guys got to meet! I know how much you adore her. I’m getting to be outrageously fond of her cooking myself. ;)

• 9 Jennifer Hess // Feb 26, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Oh, you. You’re too much. Never change.

Seriously, we just got back from our little long weekend getaway and can you believe they actually expected me to WORK today? I am so woefully behind on my internets but this was a fun surprise. And I actually don’t hate that photo but I wish I would have thought to have our adorable waiter take one of you and me together. Next time… xo

• 10 Mark // Feb 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm

I’ve been to A Voce a few times. It’s always spectacular. Chef Carmellini is definitely one of the Cleveland area’s favorite culinary sons. Now, if we could only get him to move back…

• 11 yveala // Mar 9, 2008 at 1:43 pm

all that delicious food and an adorable waiter! now i really am jealous

• 12 We Are Never Full // Apr 15, 2008 at 7:10 am

this is so cool – i may lift your pics for our review since ours were so shit and we had to use our camera phone! but it was so delish… i really wish we had the funds to go back but we are so poor. rent is just too damn high in nyc!!!

• 13 cook eat FRET - lamb ragu // Jul 31, 2010 at 7:29 pm

[...] food’, and i am all about making�a rag�, especially after my lunch at a voce.� their lamb bolognese�is a thing of perfection, so i was on one of my missions – to [...]