nyc 2.08 part 4

February 23rd, 2008 · 9,565 Comments

friday since my morning was pretty much all about getting my hair cut and colored, and i could go on and on about the place and my team of guys and how they are incredibly talented at what they do and how i have given up on letting anyone in nashville touch my hair – blah blah blah… instead i’ll choose not to bore you, and we’ll just go straight to lunch, ok? because really, this lunch was to be spectacular – on two different levels. so after the coiff, i took the bus at 56th and 5th straight down to 26th street and made my way the one block to madison ave.

a voce‘ was jennifer’s idea. yes, THAT jennifer. you know, ‘last night’s dinner‘? the incredible food blog that makes you want to crawl through your monitor and into her brooklyn kitchen and just watch her cook night after night. you get the distinct feeling that jennifer takes her cooking seriously – and that most of what she does is deeply considered and that her dishes are weighted against both experience and experiments. this food blogger understands the individual elements of recipes in some kind of inherent way that i never will.

but i can surely recognize greatness -and jennifer is a great cook. a natural.

sooooo, i’ve been sucking up to jennifer for quite some time now in the hopes of meeting her. my last trip she was (ahem) "too busy" for lunch – but this time around i was able to get to spend the afternoon dining with her at one of my new favorite restaurants of all time. i requested that jennifer order for the table and she decided on 3 anti pasti and 2 primi’s, forgoing the secondi offerings. i conferred with her choices and then we were off…

(a perfect salad of radicchio, frisee, prosciutto, pecorino sardo and black truffle)

(grilled octopus with peperonata, arugula and lemon sauce)

(duck meatballs with a dried cherry mostarda)

(homemade pappardelle with lamb bolognese and sheep’s milk ricotta)

(spaghetti with pancetta, cabbage and pecorino)

(bombolina alla toscana ~or~ custard filled doughnuts with chocolate sauce)

(this was me, not jennifer…not proud…)

for the record,  a voce, with it’s one michelin star, was- imho – the clear winner over blt market, insieme and anthos. i realize this is based on only one meal at each place and that i am partial to a more rustic italian style of food. but there were no ‘just ok’ dishes. everything was a standout. the preparation was impecable and the flavors popped. a voce won me over, bigtime. but undoubtedly the best part of this stellar lunch, was sharing some wine and stories with jennifer…

i am such a fan.

Tags: travel

9,565 responses so far ↓

• 1 cheap car insurance Murrieta CA // Sep 25, 2016 at 3:29 am

Wait, I cannot fathom it being so straightforward.

• 2 payless auto insurance Eastpointe MI // Sep 25, 2016 at 4:43 am

Hi, I enjoyed reading your blog post. (Your previous ones are entertaining, as well.) If you need any more spec commercial ideas, my site has hundreds from creatives at top agencies. You can also read some good interviews about breaking into commercial directing. Good luck with your opportunity.

• 3 auto acceptance insurance Mableton GA // Sep 25, 2016 at 5:15 am

I found myself nodding my noggin all the way through.

• 4 cheap car insurance quotes Virginia Beach VA // Sep 25, 2016 at 5:19 am

I do not snack. I think because we never had desert or any, what I call, crap food in our house it carried over into adulthood. If you eat right, you do not need to snack. I still struggle today when told to eat every 3 hours. Not happening.

• 5 cheap car insurance Kalispell MT // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:11 am

il problema non é (solo) B. se non ci fosse lui ci sarebbe qualcun’altro. E’ il nostro paese che é strutturalmente ostile a donne, giovani e anziani. E questo neppure il Pd lo ha capito tant’é che ad esempio a Torino per le primarie, i candidati a sindaco sono tutti uomini. E stesso discorso vale – per inciso – anche per il movimento 5stelle e per la coalizione di destra.

• 6 car insurance Rochester MI // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:17 am

Wow Vix, you so suit hats and that one is a thing of beauty!! I am in love with all your ethnic jewelery!! Hope you have fun in the garden, and please show a pic of your Buddha. x x

• 7 auto insurance Woodbridge NJ // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:49 am

Thanks for letting me be a part of your awesome Travel Week Extravaganza, Tami! I’m happy to share my love of cruising with your readers. I hope this post helps you and your husband make that worthwhile leap into the world of cruising too

• 8 low income auto insurance dmv Montgomery AL // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:20 am

The movie I’m most excited to see this year (besides Life of Pi and The Hobbit) is Killing Them Softly, but how come the oscar-love is so quiet with this one? I mean No Country For Old Men won and that was a pretty sick movie, what makes this one so different?Buy/SellOnly one of you have Les Miserables in your Top 7.

• 9 affordable auto insurance Lake Saint Louis MO // Sep 25, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I do trust all of the concepts you’ve introduced on your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too short for beginners. May you please lengthen them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

• 10 average car insurance rates in Covington LA // Sep 25, 2016 at 1:11 pm

SuccessThank You for your Vote!Come back Tomorrow to Vote Again!Some users will be required to verify their vote.Check your email for any messages from

• 11 free car insurance quotes Noblesville IN // Sep 25, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Last one to utilize this is a rotten egg!

• 12 no down payment auto insurance in Saint Petersburg FL // Sep 25, 2016 at 3:33 pm

A Al Qaeda operative is just a devout Muslim(usually a Salafist) for all intents and purposes. There is no membership per se, no funny hat or dues. Just pick up a gun and start killing infidels. The Fort Hood shooter was a classic example of this. In short any Muslim who is devout is a possible Jihadist.

• 13 cheap auto insurance quotes Falls Church VA // Sep 25, 2016 at 4:09 pm

– it wasn’t for nothing. 1. There’s no way we could have known servers were going to come down like that the day after. 2. Some people used up that SB just fine, and then were granted 5h more, it’s supposed to be a GOOD thing, not bad. 3. Not everyone could make it online for the casts, so this gave *everyone* SB, which is also good, not bad. The servers didn’t fail when it happened, it was the day after that gave more SB. The exact complaints I got was that they wanted 10 hours SB because they already got 5h the day before.

• 14 non owners auto insurance quotes New Brunswick NJ // Sep 25, 2016 at 4:31 pm

That’s a genuinely impressive answer.

• 15 auto insurance Clayton NC // Sep 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm

A operação mais obviamente abjecta, à revelia da ONU, da invasão de um país em nome do capitalismo selvagem. As empresas petrolíferas sugam alegremente o petróleo do país devastado, as empresas de armamento sugam o contribuinte norte-americano para destruir o povo iraquiano, as empresas de contrução americanas cobram milhões para construir o que as suas congéneres destruiram.Lucros e lucros da ordem dos muitos zeros que se acumulam graças à actividade destes arautos da democracia, assim denominados pelos media globais, e que culminam no sofrimento milhões de seres humanos.

• 16 low income car insurance dmv Cincinnati OH // Sep 25, 2016 at 4:53 pm

I guess the reason I was bothered about your blog being inactive is just the long history of the Shawn Hogan Fan club. It is over 10 years evolved…..maybe 13, I can’t remember.

• 17 average car insurance rates in Belleville IL // Sep 25, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Amei! parabéns pelo seu lindo trabalho… aprendi muito com seus videos e tenho arrasado na minha cidade aproveitando as dicas dos seus look e makes…[]

• 18 car insurance with no license in Fort Collins CO // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:22 pm prea am citit carti horror pentru ca daca o faceam nu mai puteam sa dorm noaptea. Sunt destul de fricoasa cand vine vorba de filme sau carti horror, iar unii scriitori descriu atat de bine totul incat te fac sa simti actiunea. Scary..Cele mai infricosatoare carti pe care le-am citit au fost cele ale lui Stephen King- Orasul Bantuit,Salem's Lot, Christine.. Nu am citit prea multe de acest gen ..doar cateva 🙂

• 19 affordable auto insurance Rapid City SD // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:59 pm

I¡¦ve read some good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you place to create any such excellent informative site.

• 20 cheap non owners insurance in Charlottesville VA // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Thanks for your write-up on this weblog. From my experience, there are occassions when softening right up a photograph could possibly provide the professional photographer with an amount of an inventive flare. More often than not however, the soft blur isn’t what precisely you had at heart and can sometimes spoil an otherwise good snapshot, especially if you thinking about enlarging the item.

• 21 shop direct insurance // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Bonjour,Notre programme existe depuis plusieurs années et s’étoffe en fonction de la demande.Nous étudions chaque demande et proposons un calendrier adapté à chacun.CdtML

• 22 cheap full coverage car insurance Covina CA // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Dick Broman, läs den senaste utvecklingen i frågan i dagens blogginlägg. Hela eller delar av utplanteringsprojektet kan skrotas om det jag skriver om idag är rätt! Jag hoppas att SJFs roll i avslöjandet inte förringas, även om det var Dag Lindgren som hittade felet. Men utan min/vår hjälp tror jag tyvärr att genetikerna på Stockholms universitet hade lyckats begrava Lindgrens blogginlägg.

• 23 auto insurance quotes // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Det lyder jo fantastisk hvis det er rigtigt at bambus er så allergivenligt. Vi slås nemlig med hustøvmide allergi herhjemme:( Så jeg krydser fingre og tæèr og håber jeg vinder:)

• 24 free auto insurance quotes Anderson SC // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:33 pm

I wonder why some judges are chosen for ICA. It’s obvious you know a thing or two about the culinary world but I have to wonder about some of the other choices.In many cases, an incompetent judge can really tarnish an episode and denigrate a chef’s hard work simply because they have no idea of what they are doing.

• 25 low income car insurance Troy MI // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:02 am

Lot of smarts in that posting!

• 26 auto owners insurance Oak Ridge TN // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:59 am

i love hella glitter like 97% of the time!fingernails: ORLY in Goth, Sinful Colors in Frenzy, AND China Glaze in Fairy Dust XDtoenails: 3 coats of Finger Paints Hue left a Message? and China Glaze Fairy Dust XDDHazel recently posted …

• 27 cheap car insurance WI // Sep 26, 2016 at 1:34 am

Thank you sharing all these wonderful posts. In addition, the right travel and also medical insurance program can often reduce those considerations that come with vacationing abroad. A medical emergency can rapidly become very costly and that’s sure to quickly decide to put a financial impediment on the family’s finances. Setting up in place the perfect travel insurance bundle prior to setting off is well worth the time and effort. Cheers

• 28 affordable auto insurance Thousand Oaks CA // Sep 26, 2016 at 1:35 am

I love Lizzie. Love the way she looks, love the name. Maybe I shouldn’t state this here, but remember if Matthew had been a girl, his name would have been Lauren Elizabeth and I was going to call her Lizzie. Love it. I do think Bartowski should keep his distance.

• 29 auto insurance Lafayette IN // Sep 26, 2016 at 2:37 am

I much prefer informative articles like this to that high brow literature.

• 30 cheapest car insurance in Florissant MO // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:36 am

Well I guess I don’t have to spend the weekend figuring this one out!

• 31 non owners auto insurance quotes Hinesville GA // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:48 am

The Ateyba was the tribe from which the leader of the Mosque of the Grand Siege arose, Uteibi, a whole host of folks, at Gitmo, bear than clan designation, including one who passed on, from the Yemeni side.Kahtan, is that of the 20th hijacker, who would have taken out theCapitol, not a few shaheeds in Iraq and elsewhere, including the fellowwho wanted to bomb the Word Cup

• 32 list of auto insurances in Mount Vernon OH // Sep 26, 2016 at 11:08 am

Howdy this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. IÂ’m starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 33 cheap auto insurance quotes Bozeman MT // Sep 26, 2016 at 11:22 am

Read this…Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!…

• 34 auto cheap insurance // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:12 pm

The Absent Game…Concerning me and my husband we have owned far more MP3 players through the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (typical & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few a long time I’ve settled down to one line of gamers….

• 35 auto insurance quotes // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Way to go on this essay, helped a ton.

• 36 cheapest car insurance El Monte CA // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:38 pm

I enjoy, lead to I found just what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

• 37 auto insurance rates Oswego IL // Sep 26, 2016 at 3:04 pm

VIlket otroligt fint rum!! Gillar att det är flickogt och sött utan att vara helt rosa! Härlig färger!! Och vad fint med vimplarna i taket! Är dom fastlimmade?

• 38 no down payment car insurance in Holyoke MA // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

• 39 no down payment auto insurance in Sacramento CA // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I tried to respond to your launch podcast ,,,had nothing but trouble would never accept my comments. I could not satisfy the requirement so hope this one goes to you…Congratulation on a great idea and your success. I like your writing challenge and if I get a chance will respond. M in Idaho

• 40 completi calcio nike // Sep 29, 2016 at 9:01 am

Wow, that’s what I was looking for, what a material! existing here at this web site, thanks admin of this web page.

• 41 adidas yeezy boost 750 lichtbruin te koop // Oct 17, 2016 at 4:10 pm