wild fennel pollen dusted pork tenderloin

November 3rd, 2007 · 10 Comments

img_1778-1.JPG

about a month ago i bought some tuscan wild fennel pollen and it’s been on my mind to break it out.  last night it premiered in my kitchen.  did you hear about it?  because it was very exciting – if one is so inclined to feel that way about such things…

like my spanish smokey pimenton, the fennel pollen was quite the find.  for me, these spices fall into the ‘totally transforming’ category.  and as couples go, wild fennel pollen and pork are just the perfect match.  they were meant to be together.  they bring out the best in one another.  it’s sheer harmony and a beautiful thing – all at once.  hard to top that.

so listen up because i’m only going to tell you once.  3 ingredients.  fennel pollen.  salt.  pepper.  you’re done.  and some pork and olive oil.  i bought a 1 lb. tenderloin and asked the butcher to butterfly it for me.  just take the 3 spices using equal amounts and rub the mixture into both sides of the meat and let it sit for about an hour.  then i rolled it up the short way and tied it with butcher string.

img_1751.JPG

for the vegetable sides i decided upon some roasted brussel sprouts and csa butternut squash, along with eggplant chips – my latest greatest way to use my seemingly never ending supply of these.  i used the pale purple chinese eggplants (from the csa), slicing them on the diagonal.  the 3 vegetables were all treated lightly with nothing but olive oil, salt and pepper.  just enough to bring out who they really were – and probably would continue to be were you to decide to replicate this down to earth vegetable vibe.

img_1764.JPGimg_1768-1.JPG

the pork sliced in a cool kinda spirally way that can’t help but lull you into a false sense of momentary chefdom.  and then you wake up and plate the rest and delight in your rustic, simple dinner.

img_1793.JPG

metaphor’s for life, they’re everywhere…

Tags: pork

• 1 Amy // Nov 4, 2007 at 8:10 am

This looks fabulous. I’ve thought of doing this with fennel seed, but do you think fennel pollen is the way to go instead?

• 2 claudia // Nov 4, 2007 at 9:18 am

fennel pollen is really wonderful and unique. check the link for that description. really kinda special.

• 3 ponyboat // Nov 4, 2007 at 9:46 am

Absolutely beautiful!

• 4 LucyRE // Nov 4, 2007 at 9:58 am

“metaphor’s for life, they’re everywhere…”

hear, hear :)

• 5 Meg // Nov 4, 2007 at 3:41 pm

That looks delicious. I don’t think you were wrong to be lulled into a feeling of chefdom; that’s a whole plate o’ tasty. I love fennel with pork and garlic; it never crossed my mind to use fennel pollen in a similar manner. It looks brilliant.

• 6 ElZorro // Nov 4, 2007 at 4:14 pm

The vegetables look amazing too, lots of color.

Did ya serve wine with it?

• 7 claudia // Nov 4, 2007 at 5:30 pm

pony – as always. thanks so much!

lucy – if you look close enough, they really are… everywhere!

meg – fennel pollen… it’s what’s for dinner. try it and report back!!!

Z – my guy, a wonderful guy, no longer drinks. so since i had no one to share the bottle with, i didn’t. but tonight i am cooking and wine is on my mind. i think a sancerre is in order…

• 8 melissa // Nov 4, 2007 at 8:29 pm

that looks absolutely perfect!

• 9 ElZorro // Nov 5, 2007 at 8:48 am

When I was single, I tried going out with a on-the-wagon former rummy. Didn’t go too well, every time I sipp’d on a Martini, she eyeballed me like a ravenous Zombie.

And did the fennel pollen give anyone allergies? Did you have to add Benadril to the recipe?

• 10 clumsy // Nov 5, 2007 at 10:09 am

I’m curious, what does fennel pollen taste like? I have allergies, so I’ve never tried it (though I probably wouldn’t be allergic to it).

The meal looks great, and I think your chefdom is permanent!