ceF’s signature caramel cake

September 12th, 2008 · 817 Comments

as you know i have a bit of a baking aversion. but before you remind me of how i tend to go on about this little culinary problem of mine, let me just say that it is really most specifically pastry that i run from – screaming. cakes, loaves, pizza dough – even breads, i can do on occasion despite it being a messy undertaking with flour everywhere. when i bake it’s as though a fairly major renovation job has gone down in my house, and i’m still finding drywall dust in every nook and cranny days later. yes, this is what happens when i bake… which is why i rarely bake. except for pastry which i never ever do. ever.

but i made 2 caramel cakes in 3 days.  the first was a birthday cake for angela (and a dare to myself) and the second one was just to see if the first one had been a fluke.  because this cake was a surprisingly good cake.  and it is doable.  you don’t even have to ice it.  it’s merely a caramel glaze that runs over the sides in a grown up kinda rustic looking way.  this cake? is my kinda cake.  and it is now my official signature cake.  from here on in – if it’s your birthday – it’s caramel cake.  if you want carrot cake, you’ll have to go elsewhere.  and i will not apologize.  because i am the friend who will bake you a kickass caramel cake.

and it won’t be a white cake or a yellow cake with caramel frosting either.  it will be 3 layers of real caramel cake held together with caramel syrup.  because this is the way it’s done in my house when i bake ceF’s official signature caramel cake.

caramel cake
adapted from
desert candy

for caramel syrup:
1 ½ cups sugar plus ¾ cup water
½ cup of water for stopping

for cake:
14 tablespoons (7 oz) unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups light brown sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
½  cup caramel syrup (from above)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ cups buttermilk

for assembly:
the rest of the caramel syrup

for glaze:
1.5 cups heavy cream
¾ cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt – or more to taste

Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil, have the additional ½ cup water ready on the side. Boil the syrup, watching closely, until it turns dark amber. Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining water to "stop" the caramel. Stir the mixture with a fork until it comes together, then set aside to cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 350 F, grease and flour 3 9-inch cake pans. In a bowl cream the butter until smooth, then cream in the brown sugar and salt until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in the caramel syrup. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla, until very smooth and combined. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk, to make a smooth cake batter. Divide cake batter among prepared pans. Bake in the center of the oven (rotating pans halfway through), for 25 minutes, or until firm, golden, and the sides pull away from the edge of the pan. Set aside to cool.

(note – i use convection ovens so this was how long it took in mine. keep an eye and don’t overbake!)

On a cake plate, stack the cake layers, spreading 2 tablespoons maple syrup or caramel syrup between the layers so that they stick together. Press down firmly (at this point, the cake can be triple-wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to one month, or simply covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight).

Glaze cake: Combine cream, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a saucepan. Boil the mixture until it reaches 235 F, or soft-ball stage. Remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla. Give the mixture several rapid stirs, then quickly pour it over the cake before the glaze hardens.

in the first cake (above) i used 3 cups of heavy cream as i accidentally misread the recipe which i know that you, dear readers would never do because you are not too vain to put on your reading glasses.  so although it was excellent, i never let it get to the soft-ball stage because first of all i think i must have used too much cream, and secondly, if that were not the case then i just needed more nerve, know-how and patience because i, quite frankly had no idea what the hell i was doing and could not find my old candy thermometer.  candy shmandy, i never go there either…

for the second cake i used 2 cups of cream but again was thermometer-less which made me ‘concerned’ while it was boiling away – so this time the glaze came out a bit thin.  then again, you’re never too rich or too thin and this was certainly both of those, but still, i kept trying to get the damn soft-ball to form in the glass of cool water, and again, i was beyond clueless.

my next cake i am using 1.5 cups of cream (as now reflected in the recipe) – as in following directions – something i am not wont to do…

because… the glaze should set quickly after being removed from the heat and form a crust-like finish when poured.  and mine never quite got there.  but my next one will.  because i found my candy thermometer. so now i am unstoppable. and hey, it’s not like the first 2 weren’t excellent cakes…they just were not perfect. and well, as you know, here at ceF, we strive for perfection bigtime – and then we take what we get and go on merrily with life.

cake #2 – with thin caramel glaze pooling at the bottom…

cake #2 suddenly exuding a greenish lightsaber-like glow…

i am a jedi baker

Tags: baking

• 1 http://easterntownshipsfilmfestival.com/fax-number-for-admiral-car-insurance.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:07 am

The Brahmins, jew and gentile alike, do not have some other master (excluding the State which may employ them), they simply serve their own ideals.I prefer NN’s explanation. His does a better job of explaining why the Third World has been permitted to flood the West, and why the flood continues in spite of its horrible consequences and the objections of the citizenry.

• 2 http://courtneytomeyphotography.com/bristol-west-insurance-company.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:49 am

King Kong left a great hairy mound,When he tumbled and fell to the ground,It took some good shootin’To prove ala NewtonHe’s aerodynamically sound.

• 3 http://prestamopersonal.pw/minicreditos-24h.html // Sep 20, 2016 at 2:21 am

“Bush did a lot of bad stuff, but the most enduring and damaging failure of his administration will be his approach to climate change.”The funny thing is that I made the same statement 16 years ago. Different Bush, though.

• 4 http://segurodeauto.pw/opinion-mutua-madrileña-coche.html // Sep 20, 2016 at 3:46 am

Posted by on September 04, 2011 at 2:13 am Awesome John, We have to follow our intuition in order to be successful in ANYTHING. I believe we are ALL PSYCHIC and if we develop that more and more we can find it easier to “trust” ourselves in our path.

• 5 http://buscavuelosbaratos.top/iberia-promociones-bancarias.html // Sep 20, 2016 at 7:30 am

September 24, 2010Happy Social Good Day!One of our Teachers visited Africa with her church group this summer, she is collecting posters to give to schools in Africa as she will return, Ms. Rose, MacArthur School, El Paso, TX 79925 if you are interested in Donating any posters you are not using!

• 6 best car insurance in Indianapolis IN // Sep 20, 2016 at 11:36 am

என்னமோ இந்தியாவின் கட்டுப்பாட்டில்தான் இன்னமும் முழு காஷ்மீர் இருக்கறமாதிரி எல்லோரும் பேசறாங்க. ஒரு கொசுறுதான் இந்தியா பக்கம் இருக்கு. வடமேற்குப் பகுதியை பாக் காரன் ஆக்கிரமிச்சுட்டான். வடகிழக்கு காஷ்மீரை சீனாக்காரன் கட்டுப்பாட்டுக்குள் கொண்டு வந்துட்டான்.

• 7 http://segurodeauto.pw/mejor-seguro-vida-2014.html // Sep 20, 2016 at 6:02 pm

nmd7 –No, I won’t. The postulated equivalency between Israel and the Saudis is spurious and pernicious.When Jews swear to kill or enslave anyone who doesn’t convert to Judaism, and when they kill people who convert out of Judaism, then maybe I’ll consider it.

• 8 cheap auto insurance Portland OR // Sep 20, 2016 at 6:05 pm

I’m just wondering when the instantly famous Ailes pronouncement – as described in the Daily Beast article – for on-air employees to edge back from the far right brink is set to kick in. Or is this incendiary headline supposed to be an example of that?

• 9 auto owners insurance Somerville MA // Sep 20, 2016 at 9:54 pm

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

• 10 payless auto insurance Cincinnati OH // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:18 am

( 2012.03.10 15:02 ) : 安卓系统应用程序隐藏运行内存管理误区 | 一生有你-张豪博客,关注互联网,一生有你相伴的IT博客 I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You’re wonderful! Thanks! your article about 安卓系统应用程序隐藏运行内存管理误区 | 一生有你-张豪博客,关注互联网,一生有你相伴的IT博客 Best Regards Cindy Yoder

• 11 http://nlautoverzekeringen.info/autoverzekering-online-afsluiten-zlm.html // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:41 am

Ale proč mi má stát říkat, že mám platit mobily pro cikány, když já bych raději zachraňoval život dětem v Africe?Vlezte prosím do diskuse k předchozímu článku a vysvětlete tam svému kolegovi anonymousovi (pokud to nejste zase vy), proč mi má stát (vláda, poslanci) říkat, že tu má být americká vojenská základna, když já ji tu nechci! Děkuji.

• 12 http://www.vergelijkcreditcards.pw/ // Sep 21, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO? IÂ’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but IÂ’m not seeing very good results. If you know of any please share. Cheers!

• 13 http://persoonlijkelening.top/flexibel-krediet-abn-amro-verhogen.html // Sep 21, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Elisabeth genom att läsa sin blogg har jag börjat inse att hur sjuk man än är sÃ¥ ska man ta vara pÃ¥ tiden med sin familj, och som du sa alla är inte perfekta… Du är en kämpe fortsätt att inspirera oss med dina ord för att du gör en stor skillnad i mÃ¥nga av dina läsarens hjärta.. Kramar och styrka micaela

• 14 list of car insurances in Vancouver WA // Sep 21, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn’t wish that to be an option for my burial.BTW, if those still around when I die wish to see me off some other way (other than cremation), they’re more than welcome. Given the circumstance, I don’t think I’ll be in a situation to really care 😀

• 15 http://vergelijkcreditcards.pw/creditcard-betaling-terugvorderen.html // Sep 21, 2016 at 4:39 pm

I received a reminder notice but have not received the census form yet. Three families live on my land seven adults and four children) and it seems we will not be counted. Last cesus we were not counted since no forms or reminders were receved whatsoever. A few neighbos were visited but no one on my street. Puerto Rican American