riffing off of ruhlman

August 5th, 2010 · 8,242 Comments

the joke goes something like this: when it’s summer in nashville you need to lock your car doors when you go anywhere otherwise when you come back there will be a bushel of zucchini on your passenger seat.

and THEN what would you do? because sometimes zucchinis and yellow squash can be a little perplexing, if only due to the lack of excitement they tend to cause.

i was reading ruhlman’s last post and decided that a version of his sauteed zucchini recipe would be a perfect jumping off point for a pasta dinner with friends. it’s hot as hell out and i’m eating very lightly right now – paying for some recent past indulgences. i knew i owed you all a pasta dish and although there’s really no recipe here, i urge you to do what i did with ruhlman’s post and just get inspired and use up a few zucchini and squash from your csa haul or garden or local farmers market.

oh, so there’s that and i need to tell you about a gadget… because i use them on occasion and this one is kind of fun, as gadgets go…

enter: the saladacco spiral slicer

photo from the sur la table web site…

i’ve never hidden the fact that my knife skills are pretty lame if not dangerous. i get by, barely, so i tend to rely heavily on my mandoline, food processor slicer attachment and the kindness of others. and on occasion, this nifty little device which does two things. it makes long curly ribbons out of firm vegetables and it also makes an angel hair like strand. fun with vegetables. good times.

2 minced shallots and about 6 minced garlic cloves got sweated in some olive oil

and then added to that was a bit of salt and red pepper flakes.

next in went the zucchini, yellow squash and carrots and a good amount of fresh thyme. after about 3 minutes i added some butter and hit it with a good squeeze of lemon juice. it was tossed with some spaghettini and you can tell by the color that i used one of those multi grain omega 3 high protein pastas – but in a perfect world where i didn’t have to think about fiber and protein – OR if you were coming to dinner, i would have just used white pasta because it’s just better.

the dish was finished with some lightly toasted mediterranean pine nuts which are both hard to find and expensive. since, you’ve come to expect that from me, i didn’t want to let you down.

oh and tomatoes. it is august after all…

Tags: pasta · vegetables

8,242 responses so far ↓

• 1 http://kfzversicherungde.info/versicherungskosten-rechner-kfz.html // Sep 15, 2016 at 11:36 am

I suppose that I should add to the post why I upgrade the way I do. As a web developer, I always like to have previous versions available for testing. Using a package to handle my upgrades will cause previous versions to be removed.This method of installation is fast and provides me a list of older versions to use for testing.

• 2 Boni // Sep 15, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Wer die Grenzen ohne Angleichung der Lebensverhältnisse den EU-Staaten öffnet, jegliche Kontrollen schon bei der Einreise abschafft, der braucht sich überhaupt nicht zu wundern, wenn Mädchen mit falschen Versprechungen der Menschenhändler zur Prostitutionsausübung Deutschland landen.

• 3 on insurance // Sep 15, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Congrats! He is so adorable! I just love that announcement picture of him. Such a cutie pie! Glad you guys are finally home and feeling a little bit more normal. 🙂

• 4 the falcon insurance // Sep 15, 2016 at 5:46 pm

A passagem é da revista Grande Reportagem. E as palavras em bold também lá aparecem assim.Ando a reler a GR que tem vários números da segunda metade dos anos oitenta. Um deles tem o Ernâni Lopes na capa, com a frase: "Acabou o fado".No meio tem três páginas com o resumo do nosso acorde de adesão. Um mau acordo. E que nos estragou a vida económica nos anos a seguir.Vamos agora pagar esses erros.

• 5 http://communilogue.com/cheap-travell-insurance.html // Sep 16, 2016 at 8:17 am

Hi Victoria,Cumin is one of my favorite spices. I really enjoyed reading this great post. Thanks for sharing all this information. Also thanks for being a part of May's YBR 🙂

• 6 er sagte // Sep 16, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Doch er sagt: Es ist gut hier.

• 7 zusätzliche Lese // Sep 16, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Sollte der Arbeitgeber nicht bei der Finanzierung helfen wollen oder können, ist die andere Möglichkeit, einen kleinen Kredit, für die größere Brust bzw.

• 8 http://connerplumbing.org/auto-insurance-adjuster-jobs-in-kansas.html // Sep 16, 2016 at 1:06 pm

This is great writing. I was pleased to find your article. Often times writers just don’t know how to get their point across in an easily understandable way; good job.

• 9 http://bobcassidy.net/insure-the-box-car-insurance-reviews.html // Sep 16, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I'd pick #7 using #3 colors. Show more of the belly and under wings, as if it just caught its prey, with head cocked to the side, flashing that beautiful red dorsal.

• 10 http://bobcassidy.net/cheap-insurance-with-violations.html // Sep 16, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Gick in på sidan utan att ha gjort något idag och då funkar det samt att jag gjorde ett nytt inlägg oc det funkade där också.TackMvh Knitting Angel

• 11 http://gillandjosh.com/sainsburys-cat-insurance.html // Sep 16, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Hello! Do you know if that they make any kind of plugins to guard against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid concerning losing anything I’ve proved helpful hard upon. Any recommendations?

• 12 http://bobcassidy.net/cheap-insurance-california.html // Sep 17, 2016 at 2:36 am

Yo también lo vi. Me apunto a que avanzamos hacia un nuevo medioevo, hay varias señales: el milenio, los monstruos de leyenda (véase Sadam) y la mancha que ha salido en la pared que, bien mirada, me recuerda al profeta Zacarías. Hay formas de vivir la religión y formas de extorsionar a los ancianos: lo de esta señora y su mafia es de cárcel. Pero mientras mantengan al rebaño en la iglesia los que mandan seguirán tan felices , es posible que se llevan unos cuartos de rebote. Lamenteibol.

• 13 http://artcotechs.net/car-insurance-sugar-land-tx.html // Sep 17, 2016 at 5:28 am

Klizen: A Shien-shu kardművésznek az Ösvény kifizetése után még a Slan-tőrt is ki kell fizetnie külön. A Pszi-mester természetesen használhatja az Új Tekercsekben megjelent diszciplínáit is az ETK/MTK/Rúnás kiegészítésekkel egyetemben. Secchus városa A Quiron-tenger nyugati partján fekszik, egykor Toron legdélebbi támaszpontja volt. Az Ynevi kóborlások kalandgyűjteményben szerepelt és több régebbi térképen is.

• 14 Mehr Infos // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:10 am

-Bla deg gjennom bildegallerier.

• 15 http://artcotechs.net/medical-coverage-for-auto-insurance.html // Sep 17, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Jeg mener at de har fÃ¥et patent pÃ¥ de røde sÃ¥ler, men tror næppe de sagsøger privatpersoner for at have et par sko med røde sÃ¥ler fra et andet mærke.Og virksomheder der laver det alligevel mÃ¥ tage det med hvis de bliver sagsøgt. Fede sko – hvis du ikke havde skrevet hvor de var fra ville de fleste sikkert tro det var Louboutin )Elsker din blog

• 16 erfahren Sie mehr // Sep 17, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Besonders die Frauen, die langjährigen, eingeschlafenen und unglücklichen Beziehungen stecken, reagieren recht schnell und eindeutig auf niveau- und stilvolle Komplimente und eindeutige Annäherungsversuche.

• 17 http://bodyprojex.com/europe-car-insurance.html // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:48 am

Your onion tartlets look delicious but so does your side salad! Everything you create is always so vibrant and full of life Angie… Beautiful.

• 18 Adidas Yeezy Boost-350 V2 Erscheinungsdatum Kaufen Deutschland // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:03 am

Air Jordan 12 Neoprene Black

• 19 http://courtneytomeyphotography.com/how-to-get-licensed-to-sell-auto-insurance.html // Sep 18, 2016 at 9:21 am

N’ont « ils » tout simplement pas laissé le temps… et la nature recouvrir la plaque quand « ils » ont compris que la présence de Marie pouvait affecter la valeur du bien, eu égard à la nature de ses activités ?Mais l’histoire est sympa.

• 20 http://artcotechs.net/quote-on-car.html // Sep 18, 2016 at 11:33 am

لطفا دقت کنید با حجم درستش و بدون تغیر فرمت فایل ریخته باشید ، باز هم چک کنید و در صورت اطمینان مجددا اعلام بفرمایید اگه این ارور دائما تکرار میشه .

• 21 http://elitecarolina.com/guide-to-car-hire-insurance.html // Sep 18, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Oh ma belle….you have touched a nerve here in my designing and decorating soul! This is a combination of all that I love so!!!! Oh, your giveaway is counting down! I am crossing my fingers!!! Anita

• 22 http://actionshotssite.com/auto-insurance-galena-il.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 12:35 am

Instead of asking some random blogger what to do to defend your life, how about asking an experienced instructor? A handgun for home defense? Really? What terrible advise. Don’t listen to Nick.

• 23 http://gillandjosh.com/hispanic-auto-insurance.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:43 am

Det er koselig å lese det du skriver, og jeg må si meg veldig enig i det du har skrevet under ett tidligere innlegg her ang kommentarer på blogger. Du tar noen flotte bilder som er bare helt konge å se på.

• 24 http://courtneytomeyphotography.com/vehicle-and-general-insurance-company.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:27 am

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Cheers!

• 25 http://courtneytomeyphotography.com/car-insurance-from-expedia.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:04 am

Good analysis. My perspective is that lists of this type exist for pretty much one primary reason – to get attention by spurring controversy. Therefore, I see the writer’s self-absorbed judgment of the ATL blogosphere as just a more naked manifestation of the article’s intent.

• 26 http://bothco.com/us-insurance-lawton-ok.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 8:04 am

on which class, in general AP classes are have more content and more emphasis on analysis rather than drill/memorization. US history for example, in regular classes you would just learn the facts and pretty much stop there, but in AP US you would learn the facts and then analyze the surrounding situation. Why did things happen this way, etc…

• 27 http://bobcassidy.net/affordable-car-insurance-in-grand-rapids-mi.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 8:48 am

I love this post! Beautiful photos of both of you, too. We lived sans full-length mirror for years. I used to look at my top half in the bathroom mirror and figure that was good enough for most days. For important occasions I would stand on the bathroom counter, straddle the sink, and back up just enough to a.) see if my shoes looked okay with my outfit and b.) risk seriously injuring myself. I definitely prefer the full-length mirror approach!!

• 28 Anfrage // Sep 19, 2016 at 10:26 am

Das bedeutet nach bisher üblichem Abtasten und Entleeren meiner Taschen oder Ausziehen der Schuhe Zukunft auch, dass ich je nach individueller Beurteilung eines Beamten oder Ordners jederzeit und ohne Begründung eines Verdachts meine Kleidung komplett ablegen darf!

• 29 die vollständigen Details // Sep 19, 2016 at 11:16 am

Ruf die 0900er Rufnummer , tippe den Code deines Lieblings Camgirls ein und schon kannst du bei der heißen Sex-Show live dabei sein.

• 30 http://bodyprojex.com/insurance-brisbane.html // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the images on this blog loading? I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 31 auto insurance quote // Sep 20, 2016 at 1:23 am

A very interesting and informative post today. The series are beautiful shots of this old hospital. I found the information about the bats very interesting. I no idea they were protected or endangered by visitors to the cave.

• 32 ihre neuesten Blog // Sep 20, 2016 at 10:49 am

Intensive Spiele wünschen sich sehr viele schlampige Krankenschwestern.

• 33 Anfrage // Sep 20, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Chaträume sind Orte denen du dich mit vielen anderen Menschen oder auch deinen Freunden treffen kannst um mit ihnen zu chatten.

• 34 look auto insurance Henderson NV // Sep 20, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Hi, yes if you raise the top leg too high if you have dysfunction in your upsepmort SIJ it can cause symptoms-best to keep the exercise within pain free limits always Michelle July 7, 2012

• 35 affordable car insurance New Kensington PA // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:45 am

„Zu diesen Risikogruppen würden Homosexuelle, Drogenabhängige, Obdachlose und Ausländer gehören.“Fallen unter die “Ausländer” auch israelische Staatsbürger? Weis das jemand?

• 36 erhalten weitere Infos // Sep 21, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Coco französische Modeschöpferin Lebenskunst ist die Kunst des richtigen Weglassens Die Schönheit brauchen wir Frauen, damit die Männer uns lieben, die Dummheit, damit wir die Männer lieben.

• 37 erfahren Sie mehr // Sep 21, 2016 at 4:00 pm

League 1 cm groß mein bein befindet plazebos sind muss zunächst auch dieses wirkstoffes: bei HWS symptome machen probleme.

• 38 http://www.persoonlijkelening.top/ // Sep 21, 2016 at 6:32 pm

i love that your comment is wordy!!! i feel a lot better after reading your response!! i think that in some ways it's a generational thing where we are a new generation of mothers who just have a different opinion about how to do everything. it's interesting.anyway, thank you!!!! i will post again soon!!

• 39 http://www.bastakreditkort.info/ // Sep 21, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Shoot…..I did opened a big-ass plastic jar awhile back when fishing at Catalina just to find out some a…hole pooped in there and wrapped it up in nice silk towel…..so just a warning here people…….don t just read all these romantic stories and start throwing bottles at sea, fricking Harbor Patron will not hesitate to write tickets for littering.

• 40 seine Erklärung // Sep 22, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Da ich nichts sagen konnte, nickte ich nur heftig.

• 41 Weiterlesen // Sep 22, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Mitleid wird mir wach und ich ihm: Ich werde dir jetzt eine kleine Freude bereiten und mir mal deinen Schwanz vornehmen.Behutsam redete ich mit Timo darüber, wie ich erst ein ausgiebiges Spiel meinen Brüsten liebte und dazu ein wundervolles Petting.

• 42 yeezy boost 350 v2 // Sep 25, 2016 at 1:59 am

Yeezy Boost 350 V2

• 43 tommy hilfiger 氓terf枚rs盲ljare sverige // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:08 am

I relish, result in I discovered just what I used to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

• 44 ralph lauren sneakers herr // Sep 29, 2016 at 1:11 am

I don鎶皘do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!