bottarga 201

November 8th, 2007 · 720 Comments

ok class.  after a brief hiatus we return with more ‘fun with bottarga’.  only this time, armed with our knowledge from the last course we are going to use the right kind of fish roe.  ok?  so did everyone bring their dried mullet sac with them?  good.  let us proceed. for those of you that read along you may recall my last stint with bottarga.  it was not a raging success to say the least.  i generously referred to that dish as ‘nice’ but even a lame description such as that was a total stretch.  quite honestly the whole experience left me somewhat confused as to  a) why anyone would want to pay $75 for a hunk of dried out cat food and  b) why anyone would want to eat dried out cat food at any price.  so i called market hall foods – bottarga supplier to the stars – to discuss the quandary and they were kind enough to ship me the mullet bottarga to replace the tuna bottarga in question.  and so my best bottarga buddies, from here on in to be referred to as ‘b3’, once again crossed the county line, showing up with a loaf of bread, a lemon, some parsley and a fine bottle of red – ready for whatever fate the bottarga gods had in store for us. first my b3 grated the bottarga and we added some australian olive oil – a 2006 yellingbo to the bowl.

the roe absorbed most of the oil which deepened the color considerably.  note: reserve some bottarga and parsley for plating.

to the pan i added the oil saturated bottarga, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic and parsley.  nothing else.  the bottarga has a perfect salt balance on it’s own and the salted pasta water flavored the de cecco #7 linguini.  the bottarga was warmed gently, not cooked.  the drained pasta was then added to the pan and tossed with the bottarga.

as luck would have it, the bottarga gods smiled upon us that night.  i really loved this dish.  fishy, but rich – with depth.  the brightness of the lemon and hint of garlic were perfect against the roe.  and the quality of the oil melded these flavors into a winning combination.  now i get the whole bottarga hype.

and as an aside, i find pasta to be extremely photogenic.

anyone else?

Tags: fish · pasta · seafood

• 1 // Sep 19, 2016 at 8:44 pm

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

• 2 // Sep 20, 2016 at 2:50 am

io devo essere l'unica genovese che non è mai stata a porto venere, e che oltretutto in un anno e mezzo non è ancora riuscita a pucciare il pupo nel mar ligure. ma sarà che viviamo tra i crucchi e ho poche tua macchina fotografica è Dio in persona e tu la usi benissimo. per un momento ho pensato di comprarla uguale, poi ho visto il prezzo.

• 3 cheap auto insurance quotes Enid OK // Sep 21, 2016 at 3:12 am

ziki netmoziA többi online filmes részlegrÅ‘l meg csak annyit hogy párat megnéztem/nem nevesítek,kivételek biztos vannak!/A tapasztalatom csak annyi hogy a filmek nagy része a netmoziról származik!Ez rögtön elÅ‘jön ha elindul a film és a feltöltÅ‘ odaírta a megjegyzésbe a netmozi szót!Ugyan is volt egy kis probléma egy másik felfutott oldallal és ezt kértük!Persze mindenkinek el kell indulni valahogy! 🙂

• 4 best auto insurance in Naples FL // Sep 21, 2016 at 8:04 am

I like the 15.4" Black HeatShift Laptop Bag. My son doesn't understand that he needs to treat his laptop somewhat gently, so it would be nice to have good protection for it

• 5 no down payment auto insurance in New Britain CT // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:32 am

I think this is among the most vital info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

• 6 // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:35 pm

A magyar címekkel sincs minden rendben. Lásd itt valahol a Dark Tower ismertetÅ‘m linkjét.Valahol a neten olvastam, hogy Bihari Lovecrafthoz is elég “szabadon” nyúlt.De ez általános baja a magyar fordítónak: jobb akar lenni az eredeti írójánál.

• 7 // Sep 21, 2016 at 6:55 pm

I simply want to tell you that I am very new to blogs and absolutely liked your web site. Probably I’m planning to bookmark your blog . You surely have excellent writings. Bless you for sharing your web-site.

• 8 cheap auto insurance // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Se nota que se acerca la navidad. Demasiada fiesta y poco tiempo para inventar una noticia divertida. Un título barato para ganar clics aunque sea para luego perder lectores.