the blt – a culinary ode to ruhlman (circa 9/09)

November 17th, 2009 · 38 Comments

i realize that this is old news. i mean, any tomato such as the one i used in september is sadly unattainable until three more seasons are behind us. but with all the summer clamor to make the ultimate blt from total scratch – all the while knowing that i was not in the mood to cure my locally sourced pork belly, or grow anything other than my sweet 100′s… i started to get a hefty craving for what is my second favorite sandwich.

and i did it my way – and with a clean conscience. ruhlman inspires me like no other, but as passionate as i am about my food – sometimes i can make do…

a pretty decent loaf of bread, a farmers market tomato, salty smoky benton’s bacon from right here in tennessee, some crisp romaine and my beloved hellman’s mayo.

go here to see how it’s done by the professionals. but damn if mine wasn’t just plain excellent…

(anyone care to guess what my #1 sandwich could possibly be?)

Tags: bacon · sandwich · tomatoes

• 1 Robert // Nov 17, 2009 at 11:15 am

Knowing you, at any given moment, just about anything could be “the worlds best sandwich”.

It’s a crapshoot, but I am thinking Pastrami on Rye.

• 2 Sarah // Nov 17, 2009 at 12:08 pm

OK – I am going with Liverwurst!!!

Weird, i know, but i love it.

• 3 Tracy W. // Nov 17, 2009 at 12:10 pm

We know you love eggs so I am guessing egg salad. Fresh local farm eggs of course. Right?

• 4 Amy at Minimally Invasive // Nov 17, 2009 at 12:35 pm

The only ingredient I’m reasonably sure of is truffle butter. :)

• 5 denise (chez danisse) // Nov 17, 2009 at 3:56 pm

It looks pretty darn good to me! Your favorite? Fried egg sandwich?

• 6 lisaiscooking // Nov 17, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I have a blt of sorts planned for dinner tonight. The t will be in the form of fried green tomatoes, and the sandwich will have a fried egg in it, but still.

• 7 Jennifer Hess // Nov 17, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Ha! Okay, Amy beat me to it. So I’m going to say a bottarga panini. Or something with crazy good prosciutto and figs.

• 8 Barbara Kiebel // Nov 17, 2009 at 8:00 pm

ummm, turkey and swiss?

• 9 maybelles mom // Nov 17, 2009 at 8:29 pm

yum.

• 10 Greg // Nov 18, 2009 at 6:08 am

I’m betting it has smoked roe on it.

• 11 Samantha // Nov 18, 2009 at 6:53 am

I am thinking your #1 sandwich is a perfecrly prepared grilled cheese but as for the cheese? I know it won’t be American singles or velveeta!

• 12 Mari // Nov 18, 2009 at 6:59 am

I licked my monitor….you’re evil!

• 13 JT in the UK // Nov 18, 2009 at 7:39 am

Marmite on buttered toast? It may not be a sandwich but I know you love it! (or so you’ve written)

• 14 ruhlman // Nov 18, 2009 at 7:52 am

nothing wrong with that sandwich!

• 15 claudia // Nov 18, 2009 at 8:50 am

oh but michael, we both know the difference, now don’t we?

although i WILL say that i’d have no qualms with feeding you my version. although between you and me i went a little too heavy on the mayo…

• 16 a Lurker... // Nov 18, 2009 at 9:52 am

Could it be salami based? Just wondering. I’m assuming it’s not fried bologna on white bread.

• 17 lynn // Nov 18, 2009 at 9:55 am

The mayo oozing made such a pretty picture, though.

Although I rarely make them, BLTs are one of my favs, too. Hellmans, hell yes.

• 18 Jackie // Nov 18, 2009 at 10:14 am

Is peanut butter involved?

• 19 Brooke // Nov 18, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Meatball sub sammich.

Probly not really, but for some reason it sounds very tasty right now. I’m gonna have to say something with an oozing egg somewhere in it.

• 20 Lauren // Nov 18, 2009 at 8:22 pm

i would like to use the y word…but i shall refrain.

• 21 Annie // Nov 19, 2009 at 11:15 am

I thought you might be interested in these Guy Fieri Roadshows. He is coming to Raleigh with Hayden Wood and Walter Royal on November 21, to Nashville with Hayden Wood and Tully Wilson on November 22, and to Atlanta with Hayden Wood and Gus Tselios & Marcos Louissaint on November 23! For info about tickets:

Only a few short years ago, Guy competed and won the second season of The Next Food Network Star. Today this “Bad Boy” of Food Network hosts four popular shows and can barely walk down the street without being recognized. From Guy off the Hook, where he gets up-close and personal with a live studio audience, to Guy’s Big Bite, where he teaches viewers how to make creative dishes with bold flavors and Ultimate Recipe Showdown, where he showcases home cooks’ best recipes, to traveling across America to find the most unique Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Guy brings his unique personality to Food Network several times a week. In October 2008, Guy released his first book based on his widely popular show, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives: An All-American Road Trip…with Recipes! (William Horrow), which offers recipes and memorable stories from establishments Guy has visited around the country. In its first week, it landed on The New York Times Best Sellers List. Ticketing options for the those who can’t get close enough include: “Off Da Hook” Package. Seat on stage, tour laminate, new edition of “More Diners, Drive-Ins, Dives: A Drop Top Culinary Cruise Through America’s Finest and Funkiest Joints”, 2 squirt bottles, pre-show meet and greet. MUST be 21 older Or: “Kulinary Krew” Package. Premium seat, tour laminate, new edition of “More Diners, Drive-Ins, Dives: A Drop Top Culinary Cruise Through America’s Finest and Funkiest Joints”, 2 squirt bottles, and pre-show meet and greet.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I work for AC Entertainment, the company that booked the show.)

• 22 Allison // Nov 19, 2009 at 3:51 pm

OOoooooooo, a Guy Fieri roadshow.

Kill me now.

• 23 Voracious Grazer // Nov 19, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I’m guessing a Croque Monsieur.

• 24 claudia // Nov 20, 2009 at 10:17 am

ok, ready?

TUNA SALAD ON A SESAME BAGEL WITH LETTUCE

i am full of surprises, i know…

• 25 Robert // Nov 20, 2009 at 3:17 pm

That was my second guess…..

• 26 we are never full // Nov 23, 2009 at 3:09 pm

thank god i read all the comments b/c i wouldn’t of found out about that AWESOME GUY FIERI ROAD SHOW!!

that person was clearly unaware that ruhlman commented before her (and his close ties to guy-lover bourdain). nice shameless plug, lady. go find another blog!!!!

i’m so mean.

oh and that sammie is calling my name. seriously. real mayo. nice.

• 27 Peter // Nov 23, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I was all set to guess that your favorite sandwich was “the one in your hand” but then I read about the Guy Fieri road show and now I need to go change my trousers.

• 28 custom desk // Nov 23, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Your sandwich looks good and it made me hungry. About your favorite sandwich? How about, turkey and swiss?

• 29 Meg // Nov 24, 2009 at 12:03 am

tomatoes may not be November food, but BLTs sure as hell are. 1st place sandwich… croque madame?

• 30 Ian // Nov 26, 2009 at 6:02 am

Love the Sandwich.

Nice!!

Ian
    EasyCaribbeanShop.com

• 31 paulius // Jan 12, 2010 at 6:33 am

seriously? Tuna salad? …cool

• 32 Jim Christain // Jan 17, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Claudia, you tantalize us so well. With Zola going away maybe it time for bricks and mortar?

• 33 Brian // Apr 25, 2010 at 3:26 am

ummm, turkey and swiss?

• 34 Dave // Apr 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm

That was my second guess…..

• 35 Ian // Apr 27, 2010 at 1:37 am

OOoooooooo, a Guy Fieri roadshow.

Kill me now.

• 36 Joe // Apr 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

nothing wrong with that sandwich!

• 37 Simon // Apr 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm

i’m so mean.

oh and that sammie is calling my name. seriously. real mayo. nice.

• 38 Rob // Apr 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm