the ultimate egg salad

March 23rd, 2010 · 34 Comments

the back story to this salad is so incredibly bizarre that i’ve hesitated to even tell you about it. but i’ve never been much for keeping things on the down low, so let me share with you the abridged version. this was the audition for masterchef, a new reality show coming up with gordon ramsey. and it got me to the next round. which got me to the next round. which had me filling out the 30 page background check, shooting a home video, and writing the requested 3rd person bio. then came the call from the casting director, "claudia, it’s looking really good for you."

then 3 days later i was out.

but hey, that’s show biz!

i have another songwriter seminar happening in my home where i do all the food for 3 days for 15 people.. i’m busier than i’ve been in a long time and there’s just a lot going on in my life right now. but still, i wanted to share with you this salad. mostly just because it was truly excellent.

i had been on the fence about even bothering to audition for the show and made the decision that i was going to do it at 3 pm the day before. this meant i had to get up at 6 am and drive the 3.5 hours to atlanta to be at the viking store ontime. so i used what i had in the house. romaine, eggs, fresh bread, celery, lemon zest and juice, good green olive oil, chili flakes and garlic. the orange strips are bottarga – of course.

the croutons were from the innards of a baguette toasted in olive oil and butter with sliced garlic. when the garlic lightly browned i removed it and used the now chips as another garnish. the leaves were arranged, the lightly boiled eggs were roughly chopped, the dressing of olive oil, zest, juice, fresh minced garlic, chili flake and salt was emulsified and drizzled, and the bottarga was shaved with a vegetable peeler. thinly sliced celery gets added along with the garlic chips and croutons. i’m stressing the obvious here because it’s SO SIMPLE that there’s not much else to say!

i would like to add that bottarga has made my world a better place. i’m quite enamoured with the stuff.

gordon would have loved this salad. oh well…

Tags: eggs · salad

• 1 nancy at goodfoodmatters // Mar 23, 2010 at 11:58 am

Terrific! I’m so glad to see the dish that initially engaged them. Yes, ma’am, Gordon would have Loved that salad. A lot.

• 2 Rachel (S[d]OC) // Mar 23, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I was getting so happy for you as I started to read this and then I was so disappointed! Sorry it didn’t happen. On one hand I want to say, “You deserved it,” but then again, you seem like such a nice person online and you probably don’t deserve to be verbally abused by Gordon Ramsey.

As someone who is not a huge fan of egg salad (take eggs and mix them with mayo, which is also made out of eggs…) I have to say this looks like a wonderful idea. That’s a great way to turn eggs into something that’s not breakfast.

• 3 Peter // Mar 23, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I was just thinking to myself “Claudia should really make more things with bottarga in them.”

It would have been great to watch you give all his petulant, sputtering bullshit right back to him.

• 4 Becky and the Beanstock // Mar 23, 2010 at 1:53 pm

You are SO going to end up cooking on TV. I don’t have a TV but when you do, I’m going to buy one. In the meantime, I’m making this egg salad. I’ve been needing new ways to use eggs lately — I have a good source of fresh, local, organic free-range eggs and I get a dozen delivered each week and Im’ having trouble using them fast enough. Love this! (PS – also love my Spanish anchovies, and you’re right, that is a big can!)

• 5 Lesley // Mar 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I think they missed a big opportunity to have a future star on their show. And I agree–Gordon would have loved that salad! Perhaps he will have the chance to have it some day.

• 6 cookiecrumb // Mar 23, 2010 at 4:51 pm

That is so cool! I wouldn’t ‘a done that. Good you.

• 7 bobdelgrosso // Mar 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

You got cut from the show because you failed to exhibit flappability. In this culture equipoise will win you serious friends, but it will never bring you the kind of fame that can be got on an effing reality TV show.

• 8 The Italian Dish // Mar 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Darn. Poop. Oh, well. Keep trying.

The salad sounds excellent, though.

• 9 Robert // Mar 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm

There is a place on WordPress that you could post that video you know…….

Plenty of room right up there under the picture.

Just sayin’

• 10 Melissa // Mar 23, 2010 at 11:19 pm

You know, I always used to say to people that I had friends much more deserving of a cooking show than most of the people currently on TV. And I always thought of you when I said it. You are so awesome for even going that far and I have much respect for your decision to go and try and do.

I also LOVE.THIS.SALAD. Mine might not be with bottarga, but I can at least swing the rest easily.

• 11 ModFruGal // Mar 24, 2010 at 8:25 am

Gordon’s loss…..big time. Great simple salad.

• 12 Kristie // Mar 24, 2010 at 11:01 am

But Gordon’s a cranky ass and I have a feeling you would have told him where in his British butt he could stick it if he got all aggro on you.

• 13 cook eat FRET - the ultimate egg salad Egg Me // Mar 24, 2010 at 2:13 pm

[...] original here: cook eat FRET – the ultimate egg salad By admin | category: egg salad | tags: also-made, egg salad, great-way, huge-fan, [...]

• 14 Donald // Mar 26, 2010 at 5:05 am

sorry to hear that you didn’t make it through. that’d been cool to have watch you engage Ramsay.

that salad has been put on my TODO list in my iphone. i still haven’t had the pleasure of meeting the bottarga of which you speak so highly.

• 15 ethel // Mar 26, 2010 at 8:05 pm

It’s their loss. You would have given Ramsey a run for his money. Moving right along I love this salad. Another addititon to my list of Claudia’s Must Eat list,

• 16 Elaine from Cookware Help // Mar 29, 2010 at 1:04 am

Yeah, that’s show biz! There are actually a lot of people who do better than those who get chances to be on TV. Charge it to experience.

It’s been a while since I’ve had myself a good egg salad. The last time I had it wasn’t memorable at all. Looking forward to try and enjoy this recipe. But I have to check on getting some bottarga first, of course. :)

• 17 Brett Sutcliffe // Apr 5, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Such nice and simple present. I think I can make this one since it is not that complicated. :P

• 18 vincent // Apr 13, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

• 19 Angela@spinachtiger // Apr 15, 2010 at 6:27 am

You are brave, and that is exciting enough. Doug will be having grand opening soon for his new apple dealership (mostly for creative musicians). I’ll send you invite. Would still love to get together.

• 20 Sam // Apr 16, 2010 at 9:32 am

I love the simplicity…looks good!

• 21 Michelle // Apr 19, 2010 at 3:44 pm

• 22 aforkfulofspaghetti // Apr 20, 2010 at 5:26 am

Boy, that looks good. And the bottarga? Genius. Noms.

• 23 simauma // Apr 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Hello!! My name is SIMAUMA. I write blog about the food.Please look.And I am glad if I link to your blog. (URL)http://food-collection-simauma.blogspot.com/

• 24 Emily // Apr 22, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I made it for lunch yesterday and it was great!

• 25 Amy // Apr 23, 2010 at 12:29 am

• 26 Dave // Apr 25, 2010 at 7:14 am

• 27 Christine // Apr 25, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Wow the photo of your egg salad is lovely!!! I’ll try this today. It looks simple enough! Thanks for sharing!

• 28 Brittany // May 10, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Oh Bottarga, when will you be in my mouth?

March 23? You’re almost as bad as Brooke & I.

• 29 Dana // May 12, 2010 at 6:10 am

Oh, good — your site is working again! I kept trying to log on last week and was having major problemos. Anyway, so cool about the audition! Do you think you’d do another one in the future? This salad looks great, by the way…

• 30 we are never full // May 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm

a little birdie (ahem, peter who we had dinner w/ last week) told me a witty bitty tidbit about you. now THAT’s why bloggin’ has taken a bit of a back seat? you go girl! work that mojo!

• 31 Bren // Jun 6, 2010 at 7:08 am

Oh look at you miss lady! Taking walks with man, eating great food and drinking wine. It doesn’t get much better!! :) Glad to see you back and that you’re doing well! :)

• 32 TheCrabbyCook // Jul 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Okay, I’m inspired to make this, but for my annoyingly picky family, I think I’d ditch the bottarga and throw in a little crumbled bacon….yum.Think I’ll do that RIGHT NOW while I’m still drooling….

• 33 queens // Jul 16, 2010 at 5:51 am

Think I’ll do that RIGHT NOW while I’m still drooling

• 34 paris turf // Dec 11, 2011 at 7:36 am

Good tip. I did it and it worked. Thanks.