buffalo short ribs with tagliarelle and chocolate

October 12th, 2008 · 1,647 Comments

weatherwise, nashville autumns can be a mixed bag. last week it was in the mid 70’s going down to the low 40’s at night – and today it was 83 and glorious. during this schizophrenic transition into cool weather and comfort foods, sometimes it can be hard to get a handle on ‘seasonal’ eating. but i had some d’artagnan buffalo short ribs burning a hole in my freezer, and awhile back i’d run across this recipe, somehow, somewhere, on someone’s blog – perhaps even a year ago – and i bookmarked it.

so when i was clicking through my favorites – the recipes all meticulously categorized, and fell across this one, i thought – perfect. and then when i saw that it was a giada/food network dish, i threw up a little in my mouth. ok not really, it was more of a gag – ok, maybe not even that. but i definitely cringed. i mean, i was hoping for batali, even emeril would do, but when i saw who it was i realized that i’d have to actually tell you, my dear readers,that: i would be making a ‘giada everyday italian’ dish. i mean, it’s not like it was that yummo chick or that woman who resides in my own personal version of hell – but still… i don’t do giada. well, i didn’t.

this dish was a homerun. it was earthy and complex, and even surprised me just how well and how fast it came together. but best of all, it was not only all those thinga but  it was pasta…

the bittersweet chocolate shavings at the very end send an already excellent dish to another dimension. i’ve done this for years on pumpkin ravioli’s with browned butter and sage

buffalo short ribs with tagliarelle
adapted from
giata de laurentiis everyday italian

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces chopped pancetta
2 pounds short ribs
salt
black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
2 cloves garlic
1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes (whole or diced)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
2 1/2 cups veal stock
1 cup red wine
1 pound fresh or dried tagliarelle
about 3 tablespoons shaved bittersweet chocolate

place the olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat. cook the pancetta until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. meanwhile, season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour. using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta from the pan and set aside. add the short ribs to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total.
meanwhile, combine the onion, carrot, parsley and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely minced. then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and pulse.

once the short ribs are browned, carefully add the mixture from the food processor to the pot. return the pancetta to the pot and stir. add the rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, beef broth, and wine. bring the mixture to a boil. reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes. remove the lid and simmer for another hour and a half, stirring occasionally. remove the meat and bones from the pot. discard the bones. shred the meat and return it to the pot. season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.

bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta and 2 to 3 minutes for fresh. drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. add pasta to the pot and stir to combine. add reserved pasta liquid 1/4 cup at a time, if needed, to moisten the pasta. transfer to serving bowls, top each bowl with about 2 teaspoons of chocolate shavings. serve immediately.

so ok, i’m having issues with the heritage of this dish. but giada is ok. really. totally not offensive. and the woman can actually cook…

it’s just well, ok, nevermind.

Tags: beef · chocolate · pasta

1,647 responses so far ↓

• 1 adidas nmd // Aug 22, 2016 at 10:00 am

I actually wanted to compose a simple note to be able to say thanks to you for these stunning information you are giving out at this website. My extensive internet lookup has now been honored with useful content to exchange with my classmates and friends. I ‘d say that many of us website visitors actually are unequivocally lucky to dwell in a fabulous website with so many brilliant professionals with very helpful solutions. I feel very much happy to have come across your webpage and look forward to so many more fabulous moments reading here. Thanks a lot again for everything.

• 2 nike roshe uk // Aug 22, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Thank you a lot for giving everyone an extraordinarily remarkable opportunity to read articles and blog posts from this site. It is always very superb plus jam-packed with a lot of fun for me personally and my office peers to visit the blog minimum thrice every week to read through the newest guidance you have got. And definitely, I am just actually fascinated with all the breathtaking opinions you give. Certain 2 tips in this article are in truth the most suitable we’ve ever had.

• 3 chrome hearts online // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:24 am

A lot of thanks for all your valuable work on this blog. Kim take interest in doing investigation and it’s easy to see why. Almost all learn all about the lively medium you deliver both useful and interesting tactics via the web blog and cause response from some others on this area of interest so our princess is learning a lot of things. Take pleasure in the rest of the new year. You’re carrying out a splendid job.

• 4 nike air huarache // Aug 23, 2016 at 3:01 pm

My husband and i got quite ecstatic when Peter could complete his inquiry with the precious recommendations he came across from your very own site. It is now and again perplexing to just happen to be offering helpful tips which often some people have been trying to sell. So we know we have got you to give thanks to for that. The specific explanations you have made, the easy site navigation, the friendships you will make it easier to promote – it is everything awesome, and it’s really making our son and us do think this subject is entertaining, which is certainly quite indispensable. Many thanks for all!

• 5 hermes belt for sale // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:05 am

I wanted to put you a bit of word to finally say thanks over again for these nice thoughts you’ve provided on this website. This is seriously generous with you to deliver without restraint exactly what a few individuals would’ve made available for an e book in order to make some profit for their own end, primarily considering the fact that you could possibly have tried it in case you desired. Those suggestions as well worked to become great way to understand that other individuals have a similar zeal really like my very own to learn lots more in terms of this issue. I am sure there are millions of more pleasurable situations ahead for many who read carefully your site.

• 6 true religion jeans wholesale // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:32 am

My spouse and i felt very joyous Ervin managed to finish up his investigations with the ideas he was given through your blog. It is now and again perplexing just to find yourself offering secrets which usually some other people have been making money from. And we also know we need you to be grateful to because of that. All of the explanations you’ve made, the simple website menu, the relationships you can aid to create – it is everything incredible, and it is leading our son and the family feel that that topic is awesome, which is certainly wonderfully important. Thank you for all the pieces!

• 7 michael kors handbags clearance // Aug 24, 2016 at 6:51 pm

I would like to show my passion for your kind-heartedness giving support to those people that actually need guidance on in this theme. Your very own dedication to passing the message all through had become definitely powerful and has constantly made people like me to get to their targets. Your amazing warm and helpful report denotes a whole lot a person like me and especially to my peers. Best wishes; from everyone of us.

• 8 adidas stan smith men // Aug 25, 2016 at 1:57 am

I am writing to make you know of the great encounter my princess obtained reading through your site. She learned lots of issues, which include how it is like to possess a great giving spirit to let a number of people clearly grasp certain problematic subject matter. You really surpassed our desires. I appreciate you for giving such invaluable, safe, edifying not to mention fun thoughts on your topic to Evelyn.

• 9 nike huarache // Aug 25, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I wanted to draft you a tiny remark to finally say thanks a lot over again on your nice strategies you’ve contributed on this page. This has been simply shockingly generous of people like you to supply openly all that many individuals would have offered for sale for an ebook to earn some cash for their own end, specifically given that you could have tried it if you wanted. These techniques in addition served as a fantastic way to be certain that other people online have the same zeal just like my personal own to grasp much more regarding this issue. I believe there are millions of more enjoyable instances ahead for individuals that check out your blog post.