buffalo short ribs with tagliarelle and chocolate

October 12th, 2008 · 34 Comments

weatherwise, nashville autumns can be a mixed bag. last week it was in the mid 70′s going down to the low 40′s at night – and today it was 83 and glorious. during this schizophrenic transition into cool weather and comfort foods, sometimes it can be hard to get a handle on ‘seasonal’ eating. but i had some d’artagnan buffalo short ribs burning a hole in my freezer, and awhile back i’d run across this recipe, somehow, somewhere, on someone’s blog - perhaps even a year ago - and i bookmarked it.

so when i was clicking through my favorites - the recipes all meticulously categorized, and fell across this one, i thought – perfect. and then when i saw that it was a giada/food network dish, i threw up a little in my mouth. ok not really, it was more of a gag – ok, maybe not even that. but i definitely cringed. i mean, i was hoping for batali, even emeril would do, but when i saw who it was i realized that i’d have to actually tell you, my dear readers,that: i would be making a ‘giada everyday italian’ dish. i mean, it’s not like it was that yummo chick or that woman who resides in my own personal version of hell – but still… i don’t do giada. well, i didn’t.

this dish was a homerun. it was earthy and complex, and even surprised me just how well and how fast it came together. but best of all, it was not only all those thinga but  it was pasta…

the bittersweet chocolate shavings at the very end send an already excellent dish to another dimension. i’ve done this for years on pumpkin ravioli’s with browned butter and sage

buffalo short ribs with tagliarelle
adapted from
giata de laurentiis everyday italian

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces chopped pancetta
2 pounds short ribs
salt
black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
2 cloves garlic
1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes (whole or diced)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
2 1/2 cups veal stock
1 cup red wine
1 pound fresh or dried tagliarelle
about 3 tablespoons shaved bittersweet chocolate

place the olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat. cook the pancetta until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. meanwhile, season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour. using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta from the pan and set aside. add the short ribs to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total.
meanwhile, combine the onion, carrot, parsley and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely minced. then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and pulse.

once the short ribs are browned, carefully add the mixture from the food processor to the pot. return the pancetta to the pot and stir. add the rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, beef broth, and wine. bring the mixture to a boil. reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes. remove the lid and simmer for another hour and a half, stirring occasionally. remove the meat and bones from the pot. discard the bones. shred the meat and return it to the pot. season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.

bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta and 2 to 3 minutes for fresh. drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. add pasta to the pot and stir to combine. add reserved pasta liquid 1/4 cup at a time, if needed, to moisten the pasta. transfer to serving bowls, top each bowl with about 2 teaspoons of chocolate shavings. serve immediately.

so ok, i’m having issues with the heritage of this dish. but giada is ok. really. totally not offensive. and the woman can actually cook…

it’s just well, ok, nevermind.

Tags: beef · chocolate · pasta

• 1 Heather // Oct 13, 2008 at 12:49 am

Don’t let the Greek hear you say she can cook. I think she’s okay, but I mostly can’t see past her huge tits and wide smile. She is like a caricature of a pretty girl.

I hear you on the seasonal eating. We go straight to super-cold overnight, with no warning. No easing in with warm days like you get, though.

• 2 noble pig // Oct 13, 2008 at 1:25 am

First freezing windy today, 84 tomorrow…whatever.

Giada, she has good teeth and a smile and a skinny waist! He-he…..the recipe is a homerun, it really is.

• 3 Traci @ Soup of The Day // Oct 13, 2008 at 1:58 am

What did I miss? Giada isn’t a bad cook. Why do people hate her? Is it like high school? You hate her just because? I’ve made a few of her recipes, they are always good.

But then again, consider the source. I’m one of the few people left I think who’s not afraid to admit that Rachel Ray also has some good recipes.

I said it. So what.

• 4 Kitt // Oct 13, 2008 at 2:06 am

I thought ” tagliarelle” was a typo, but I guess it’s not!

I can’t keep up with all them there fancy pastas.

But if it tastes good, I’m there.

• 5 aforkfulofspaghetti // Oct 13, 2008 at 4:49 am

There are weird-sounding dishes, and then there’s this. But it intrigues me. And you say it’s good. So who am I to argue?

Trouble is, we don’t get buffalo ribs over here. Hmmph.

• 6 Robert // Oct 13, 2008 at 7:18 am

“surprised me just how well and how fast it came together”

That was a compliment. Fess up, you really do like Giada. We have your TiVo records.

• 7 Maggie // Oct 13, 2008 at 8:35 am

Wherever it came from, it looks yum-o. (kidding. kidding. but it does look delicious.) That brown butter sauce for pumpkin ravioli sounds like a winner too.

• 8 Jennifer Hess // Oct 13, 2008 at 8:35 am

Aw, I’ve always liked Giada. This recipe sounds great, too. I was experimenting with chiles and cocoa for things like short ribs a couple of winters back… might need to do so again. :)

• 9 Becky and the Beanstock // Oct 13, 2008 at 9:12 am

Ah, see, now dishes like this are why I wish I ate meat. Chocolate and bacon, chocolate and short ribs…. I know I’m missing out!

• 10 Chris // Oct 13, 2008 at 9:42 am

This looks awesome.
    I must confess I like Giada, not just because she is a hottie, but because she is a Le Cordon Bleu grad.
    I think that gives her a little bit of chef cred.
    At least she doesn’t shriek at the camera all the time.

• 11 Amy // Oct 13, 2008 at 9:46 am

Ok I will take Giada over Rachel Ray ANY day. ANY day. Paula’s just tolerable (would that be considered an insult?)

But yes, the woman (meaning Giada…not Rachel) can cook!

: P

• 12 claudia // Oct 13, 2008 at 9:59 am

amy – giadia should not be uttered in the same sentence as rr or pd and for that i am sorry. even bourdain said she could cook!

chris – i think i like her because she is all italian all the time. that warms my heart.

jennifer – you kick giada’s ass.

maggie – that pumplin ravioli dish is awesome. i posted it early in my blogging career and i was glad to be able to give it another shout out…

robert – one day i oughta… you crack me up.

forkful – just use the beef. it’ll be wonderful.

kitt – taglierelle is a bit fatter. but it’s true, there are seemingly 100′s…

traci – i like her. i like her. ok, i love her. giada, i love you… and i am sorry.

noble pig – the weather patterns are bizarre. giada? see above.

heather – her look is not my fave at all, i agree. too chiseled in a weird way. but i could learn from her and that’s what counts. right? RIGHT???

• 13 lisa // Oct 13, 2008 at 11:08 am

I can take Giada’s food, I just can’t buy her books. I’ve started watching the semi-homemade one for comedy. And, I hate to say it, but I’m starting to worry about Bourdain given his new talk show. Has the shark been jumped?

• 14 Lauren // Oct 13, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I love Paula Deen, she’s beyond amusing to me. But, I do have an issue with Giada. I was secretly thrilled that Rachel Ray beat her on Iron Chef. But…her food is good.

• 15 ntsc // Oct 13, 2008 at 1:40 pm

My wife’s attitude toward Giada is that she is a good showman, a good cook, has serious experience as a line chef, does good books and gets the men watching food shows.

I don’t argue with a woman who can break down a chicken in under 4 minutes (my camera slowed her down) using a chef’s knife and my ex-mother-in-law’s cleaver.

• 16 peter // Oct 13, 2008 at 3:20 pm

I’m over & done with my Giada rant and the recipe is sound.

I love game meat and buffalo is my friend.

• 17 Brittany // Oct 13, 2008 at 3:22 pm

I have never once made a Giada recipe.
    I don’t think she is quite the grade of evil as Paula, and I would take her figure in a heartbeat- particularly those boobs.

I would totally eat this though.

• 18 Bren@Flanboyant Eats // Oct 13, 2008 at 5:28 pm

hi stranger! i’m all for this recipe.. but let’s talk about giada: she’s got pretty teeth for sure, i sympathize on the forehead bigness (seeing as tho i think i have one too) and her breasts are out of control for her itty bitty body. I wonder if SHE eats her own food!

OMGoodness, I had NO idea RR beat her on IC!?! Can’t be!?!?!?!?!! I looking for the vid now!

• 19 chefectomy // Oct 13, 2008 at 9:56 pm

PD and GdL…nails on a chalkboard…but she can cook. Looks wonderful.

• 20 Rachel (S[d]OC) // Oct 14, 2008 at 9:01 am

I have to say that no Giada recipe I have ever tried has turned out badly.

However, her recipes have become a bit tired. She’s run out of ideas. Still, her older cookbooks are total winners.

• 21 Choosy Beggar Tina // Oct 14, 2008 at 9:22 am

I despise Giada. I never actually see her SWALLOW the bites of food that she always pretends to eat. Her head is too big. Not a show goes by where she doesn’t use pancetta and mascarpone, which frankly means that an ‘every day dinner’ costs the same as going out. And…and…AND ONE TIME SHE MADE A SPARKLING CHOCOLATE COCKTAIL THAT LOOKED SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE SEPTIC AND THE MEMORY STILL HAUNTS ME.

There. That’s said.

(so do you think this would be okay made with beef short ribs?)

• 22 Jack // Oct 14, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Short ribs have some of the best flavor anywhere on the cow, or in this case Buffalo. Seems pretty happy sitting on the pasta lookin all chocolaty. I’d eat it. Of course if you put enough chocolate shavings on her, I would probably eat Giada or at least lick it off, but I wouldn’t touch RR even if you dipped her in Bosco, dusted her with confectioner’s sugar and chopped nuts! RR grates on my last nerve!

• 23 yveala // Oct 14, 2008 at 5:16 pm

this looks like another winner but what i really need to tell you is that until this past friday i considered myself practically an apple cake goddess. then i made your apple cake and i’ve been humbled! it disappeared before dawn, crumbs and all, and the compliments and pleas for more are still coming.
    cousin ilana will be sad to hear that her renowned recipe, which i’ve enjoyed repeating for the last 16 years, has been one-uped (mcintosh and all)!

• 24 Peter // Oct 14, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I want that pasta. Giada does seem to have rather a lot of teeth, and I doubt somehow that she’s be quite so successful if her Dad were just a regular guy.

• 25 We Are Never Full // Oct 14, 2008 at 9:01 pm

ha! i threw up in my mouth – i did too when i read it was a food network recipe. ha ha ha ha ha! giada is probably towards the bottom 3 or 4 on my most hated celebrity chefs. there’s just so many more to hate! she’s not worth it – just that annoying lollipop head/body and the friggin’ extra large mouth that can put me in a tizzy every once in a while. but she can cook…

btw… have you seen that batali show w/ gwyney paltrow? i hate hate hate it. it’s pointless to me. i can’t believe there’s not more talk about it on the food blogs. maybe i need to start one?

• 26 dawn // Oct 15, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for the recipe, looks good!

As for Giada, funny thing is, most people can never pronounce her name, they just say, “you know the lady with the big smile and and big cleavage.

I do think she can cook though, she even went to cooking school in France. Yes, I watched a chef biography on her and now I give her a bit more credit.

• 27 Choosy Beggar Tina // Oct 15, 2008 at 2:17 pm

You’ve likely seen this (VERY VERY UPSETTING!) list before about the top 10 hottest women on the food network, but just incase…..

And…Paula Deen is #2….? Seriously?

• 28 Nate // Oct 15, 2008 at 2:43 pm

hey, no one was injured in the making of this dish, and that’s a good thing!

• 29 MangerLaVille // Oct 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm

This sounds so amazing. I love d’atagnan…such good product. This dish is cozy and fall and I can’t wait to make it and put my fork right into it.

• 30 Traci @ Soup of The Day // Oct 16, 2008 at 2:05 am

Regarding to Iron Chef contest — Let’s also remember that Rachel’s partner was MARIO – right?

• 31 Kristie // Oct 16, 2008 at 9:10 am

Having enormous breasts does NOT make somebody hot. I present to you such televisual gems as Rosie O’Donnell or John Candy. Giada’s head is far, far too big for her body, and gives her that lollypop-esque look favored by anorexics. I bet her arms are really furry.

As for buffalo and chocolate, well…I guess I had never thought of the two in any other sense than “if I eat too much chocolate I will look like a buffalo.” But I live in the land of mole, so why not? I’ll give this a try sometime.

• 32 Dana // Oct 16, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Faaaaantastic!! This look so, so good. I totally know what you mean about Giada, but you know what? I’ve made a few of her pasta dishes…and they’re really good!

• 33 Melissa // Oct 16, 2008 at 7:09 pm

This is one of those posts of yours where I took one look at the title and the photo and said an immediate “hell yes.” *copy/paste to recipe file*

Giada? Meh. She’s not so bad. If I can bring myself to enjoy a dish from that yum-o beeyotch, then you cooking Giada ain’t nuthin.

And while I don’t condone your least favorite person, Ms. Fried Butter, no one, but no one, deserves a place in hell more than Sandra Lee. *SHUDDER*

• 34 sarah // May 27, 2009 at 8:43 am

i have been working my way through your blog… and am so so SO impressed…
    i hope one day i can cook like this…
    your creativity is a real inspiration!!