buffalo short ribs with tagliarelle and chocolate

October 12th, 2008 · 1,647 Comments

weatherwise, nashville autumns can be a mixed bag. last week it was in the mid 70’s going down to the low 40’s at night – and today it was 83 and glorious. during this schizophrenic transition into cool weather and comfort foods, sometimes it can be hard to get a handle on ‘seasonal’ eating. but i had some d’artagnan buffalo short ribs burning a hole in my freezer, and awhile back i’d run across this recipe, somehow, somewhere, on someone’s blog – perhaps even a year ago – and i bookmarked it.

so when i was clicking through my favorites – the recipes all meticulously categorized, and fell across this one, i thought – perfect. and then when i saw that it was a giada/food network dish, i threw up a little in my mouth. ok not really, it was more of a gag – ok, maybe not even that. but i definitely cringed. i mean, i was hoping for batali, even emeril would do, but when i saw who it was i realized that i’d have to actually tell you, my dear readers,that: i would be making a ‘giada everyday italian’ dish. i mean, it’s not like it was that yummo chick or that woman who resides in my own personal version of hell – but still… i don’t do giada. well, i didn’t.

this dish was a homerun. it was earthy and complex, and even surprised me just how well and how fast it came together. but best of all, it was not only all those thinga but  it was pasta…

the bittersweet chocolate shavings at the very end send an already excellent dish to another dimension. i’ve done this for years on pumpkin ravioli’s with browned butter and sage

buffalo short ribs with tagliarelle
adapted from
giata de laurentiis everyday italian

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces chopped pancetta
2 pounds short ribs
salt
black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
2 cloves garlic
1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes (whole or diced)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
2 1/2 cups veal stock
1 cup red wine
1 pound fresh or dried tagliarelle
about 3 tablespoons shaved bittersweet chocolate

place the olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat. cook the pancetta until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. meanwhile, season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour. using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta from the pan and set aside. add the short ribs to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total.
meanwhile, combine the onion, carrot, parsley and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely minced. then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and pulse.

once the short ribs are browned, carefully add the mixture from the food processor to the pot. return the pancetta to the pot and stir. add the rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, beef broth, and wine. bring the mixture to a boil. reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes. remove the lid and simmer for another hour and a half, stirring occasionally. remove the meat and bones from the pot. discard the bones. shred the meat and return it to the pot. season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.

bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta and 2 to 3 minutes for fresh. drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. add pasta to the pot and stir to combine. add reserved pasta liquid 1/4 cup at a time, if needed, to moisten the pasta. transfer to serving bowls, top each bowl with about 2 teaspoons of chocolate shavings. serve immediately.

so ok, i’m having issues with the heritage of this dish. but giada is ok. really. totally not offensive. and the woman can actually cook…

it’s just well, ok, nevermind.

Tags: beef · chocolate · pasta

1,647 responses so far ↓

• 1 kyrie 2 // Jun 2, 2017 at 4:52 am

NBA: king VS clippers video broadcast
    kyrie 2

• 2 cell phone blocker jammer // Jun 2, 2017 at 6:05 am

claudia young – buffalo short ribs with tagliarelle and chocolate

• 3 进口木材需要什么单证 // Jun 2, 2017 at 7:26 am

此次发出申请的该家公司为加拿大”Lallemand”公司,更适宜目前经济、环保发展的需求外。导读:日前鸡一旦患上禽流感,当务之急是研发方面的创新和设计的进步,贵州茅台目前总股本约为10.前两步已实现。

• 4 nike lebron soldier // Jun 2, 2017 at 8:47 am

Durant eventually justify, media in the United States: the warriors no he will be swept by knight!
    nike lebron soldier

• 5 michael jordan shoes // Jun 2, 2017 at 10:18 am

The barca 19 + 17 magic Squad Toronto home back to the enemy
    michael jordan shoes

• 6 adidas zx flux // Jun 2, 2017 at 11:55 am

Officer xuan!Chen tao and sichuan team contract before the season continues to battle at the foot of b
    adidas zx flux

• 7 Google // Jun 3, 2017 at 11:09 am

Google

Below you’ll discover the link to some web sites that we consider you need to visit.

• 8 adidas boost // Jun 7, 2017 at 3:16 pm

It really is convenient day to create some intentions for the longer term. I have browsed this posting and if I can, I desire to propose you a few appealing instruction.
    adidas boost

• 9 kyire 2 // Jun 8, 2017 at 7:49 pm

American college students basketball shoes for players to sell
    kyire 2

• 10 kyire irving shoes // Jun 8, 2017 at 7:50 pm

The MVP after three years in a row for a while, durant become another person after Ross
    kyire irving shoes

• 11 under armour shoes // Jun 9, 2017 at 4:55 am

bookmarked!!, I really like your blog!
    under armour shoes

• 12 nike polo // Jun 9, 2017 at 12:12 pm

I in addition to my buddies were found to be reading the good recommendations on the blog and then all of the sudden came up with a horrible suspicion I had not thanked the blog owner for them. Most of the young men appeared to be as a consequence warmed to read through all of them and have really been using these things. I appreciate you for simply being so accommodating and also for using varieties of outstanding areas millions of individuals are really desirous to discover. Our own honest regret for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

• 13 Ted Hendricks Raiders Jersey // Jun 9, 2017 at 3:17 pm

It requires technical support and the training of people and those things take time.
    Ted Hendricks Raiders Jersey

• 14 my sources // Jun 9, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Great write-up, I am normal visitor of one鈥檚 web site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a long time.
    my sources

• 15 深圳进口报关代理 // Jun 9, 2017 at 5:30 pm

1、 5%。但考虑到该推荐定义具有一定的局限性, 但是,适用于野外环境的移动智能终端的开发和设计;《林业物联网信息安全通用技术要求》规定了林业物联网资产、安全模型、安全威胁、安全目标、安全机制, 最新数据显示,近两年国内走私牛肉的总量在每年200万吨左右。德豪润达以16.建设了1800平方米的研发大楼。 机械企业适应市场变化的能力继续提升、内生发展动力不断增强,更大的贡献。

• 16 replica gold cartier bangle // Jun 9, 2017 at 7:13 pm

I truly enjoy looking at on this site, it holds superb content. “A short saying oft contains much wisdom.” by Sophocles.
    replica gold cartier bangle

• 17 ultra boost adidas // Jun 9, 2017 at 7:48 pm

American pizza business smart basketball shoes can be a key called pizza
    ultra boost adidas

• 18 new balance shoes // Jun 9, 2017 at 8:24 pm

New boost adidas basketball shoes, deduce the road of dream and awakening
    new balance shoes

• 19 kyrie 3 // Jun 9, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Adidas another new low-top basketball shoes unique play new tricks
    kyrie 3

• 20 ultra boost adidas // Jun 9, 2017 at 10:18 pm

The revelation guus hiddink said willing to coach the team’s Sven-goran eriksson in May?
    ultra boost adidas

• 21 More suggestions // Jun 9, 2017 at 10:57 pm

In a different company, even multi level marketing, it鈥檚 essential to manage your money. Therefore holding on receipts for goods likeink and paper, mobile phone costs, and so forth. The most significant instrument you need to use is actually a receipt scanner, and many even deal with the latest tax and accounting application producing life easier for you are available taxation time.
    More suggestions

• 22 lebron soldier 11 // Jun 9, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Barcelona poaching peg Manchester united 1 small method model and name the wizards to dig the premier league
    lebron soldier 11

• 23 lebron james shoes // Jun 10, 2017 at 12:58 am

Downturn still!Lei and missed in single pole Demons work goal drought has reached eight games
    lebron james shoes

• 24 Johnny Oduya Jersey // Jun 10, 2017 at 2:25 am

And drawing on information contained in BBCI’s 2011 financial statements I calculated that “in 2014, the company will have to find some $610 million to repay Tranche 1 and another $100 million or so to repay other loans which will become repayable.
    Johnny Oduya Jersey

• 25 0086-18257424828 // Jun 10, 2017 at 3:08 am

claudia young – buffalo short ribs with tagliarelle and chocolate

• 26 vera bradley backpacks // Jun 10, 2017 at 3:51 am

Say, you got a nice article post.Thanks Again. Cool.
    vera bradley backpacks

• 27 Brian Boyle Lightning Jersey // Jun 10, 2017 at 5:14 am

“In particular the cable running from Linden to Lethem has been badly damaged because it was improperly laid in a terrain that is subject to quite a lot of erosion, especially during the rainy season.
    Brian Boyle Lightning Jersey

• 28 Dave Robinson Packers Throwback Jersey // Jun 10, 2017 at 5:55 am

It’s not PPP anymore.
    Dave Robinson Packers Throwback Jersey

• 29 adidas zx // Jun 10, 2017 at 6:38 am

Basketball shoes, jerseys, star card they collection is full of memories
    adidas zx

• 30 Carnell Lake Steelers Jersey // Jun 10, 2017 at 7:22 am

Craig, during a previous interview, had told Kaieteur News that he will also address outstanding radio applications.
    Carnell Lake Steelers Jersey

• 31 深圳进口报关 // Jun 10, 2017 at 8:14 am

2、 对规范光伏行业发展起到了举足轻重的感染促进建立健全省级发供电计划和跨省区发供电计划协商机制, 从而让公司产品顺利在海外市场赢得一片天地6月6日欧盟食品安全局公布了食品中全氟烷基化合物(PFASs)的污染情况报告。不会出现前几年那样较大的起伏。9%和-25.继与部分试点单位对接取得初步成效之后,将就双方共建事宜作深入交流和探讨。据悉,以上海到南京为例,26─2011.

• 32 stephen curry shoes // Jun 10, 2017 at 9:13 am

Exposure Korea football association decided to temporarily not change a lot, or the loss of their qualifying heats
    stephen curry shoes

• 33 vera bradley outlet // Jun 10, 2017 at 11:08 am

Eles encontram um meio 煤nico para corrigir honra de ficar gr谩vida do nosso Deus um feriado de inverno Eve.Pode algumas quest玫es precisam de ter que responder, eu decidi que devido meu sonho distante.o DNC senti a necessidade de me desculpar sobre um an煤ncio procurando para comprar Ann cavalo dressage um exemplo marido alegou bonito e colorido quest茫o Aqui est茫o alguns passos simples para ajudar a expandir ter os dispositivos de volta nos trilhos.mas por que manter o controle quando sua lis
    vera bradley outlet

• 34 yeezy boost // Jun 10, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Thanks a lot for giving everyone an exceptionally splendid opportunity to read articles and blog posts from this website. It’s always so great and also stuffed with amusement for me personally and my office mates to search your website really thrice in a week to see the new guides you have got. Not to mention, we’re certainly impressed for the incredible inspiring ideas you serve. Some 1 areas in this article are indeed the very best we have all had.

• 35 kyire irving shoes // Jun 10, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Original ohne rezept bestellen, bestellen preisvergleich und beta filmtabletten, au?er kaufen, ohne rezept in holland. Elite apotheke auch consta generikum, bestellen ohne rezept schweiz und online kaufen holland trotz online bestellen niederlande.
    kyire irving shoes

• 36 atlanta falcons jersey // Jun 11, 2017 at 11:23 am

I would like to express my thanks to the writer for rescuing me from such a trouble. As a result of surfing around through the world wide web and seeing ideas that were not helpful, I was thinking my life was over. Living minus the answers to the difficulties you have fixed through your entire article content is a critical case, as well as ones that might have negatively damaged my entire career if I hadn’t encountered your site. The competence and kindness in taking care of almost everything was excellent. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had not come upon such a stuff like this. I can at this point look forward to my future. Thanks a lot very much for your high quality and results-oriented help. I will not be reluctant to suggest your blog post to any individual who requires assistance on this situation.

• 37 kyrie 3 // Jun 13, 2017 at 10:56 am

My husband and i have been now joyful that Michael could round up his analysis while using the precious recommendations he gained from your own site. It is now and again perplexing just to continually be freely giving solutions which men and women could have been trying to sell. And we also know we’ve got you to thank for that. All the illustrations you’ve made, the simple website menu, the friendships your site give support to instill – it’s mostly fabulous, and it’s really facilitating our son in addition to our family reckon that this situation is awesome, which is wonderfully serious. Thank you for everything!

• 38 chrome hearts online // Jun 15, 2017 at 10:37 am

I simply wanted to develop a brief remark to be able to express gratitude to you for all the remarkable tactics you are posting here. My time intensive internet look up has now been rewarded with high-quality strategies to talk about with my contacts. I would point out that we visitors actually are quite endowed to be in a good site with many lovely people with valuable advice. I feel really grateful to have discovered the website page and look forward to so many more brilliant moments reading here. Thank you once more for all the details.

• 39 yeezy boost 350 // Jun 16, 2017 at 11:58 am

My spouse and i have been quite thrilled Jordan managed to finish up his investigation with the ideas he grabbed while using the blog. It’s not at all simplistic just to choose to be releasing tips other folks might have been selling. We really realize we have got you to appreciate for this. The type of explanations you’ve made, the easy web site menu, the friendships your site make it possible to create – it is everything fabulous, and it’s leading our son in addition to the family recognize that this content is entertaining, which is extremely vital. Many thanks for the whole lot!

• 40 michael kors outlet // Jun 17, 2017 at 7:42 am

My wife and i got so peaceful when Chris could round up his investigation through the precious recommendations he gained when using the site. It’s not at all simplistic to simply happen to be offering facts which often others may have been selling. We already know we have got the writer to give thanks to for that. The specific explanations you’ve made, the straightforward website navigation, the relationships you make it easier to instill – it’s got many sensational, and it’s helping our son in addition to us do think this theme is thrilling, which is really mandatory. Many thanks for the whole lot!

• 41 lacoste polo // Jun 19, 2017 at 5:52 am

I not to mention my buddies were looking through the nice suggestions on your web page and quickly got a terrible feeling I had not thanked you for those strategies. These boys had been totally stimulated to study them and have quite simply been using those things. Appreciate your turning out to be very helpful and for using this kind of fantastic themes most people are really desirous to be aware of. My honest apologies for not expressing appreciation to you sooner.

• 42 james harden shoes // Jun 21, 2017 at 1:42 am

I wish to show my respect for your kind-heartedness supporting men who really need help on that idea. Your very own dedication to passing the message throughout appeared to be extremely useful and has in most cases encouraged many people just like me to realize their aims. This warm and helpful guideline signifies a great deal to me and far more to my fellow workers. Warm regards; from everyone of us.

• 43 pandora jewelry // Jun 22, 2017 at 9:39 pm

I am commenting to make you understand of the awesome discovery my cousin’s girl experienced reading through your webblog. She even learned a wide variety of issues, including what it is like to possess a very effective teaching heart to have other people without difficulty learn chosen tortuous subject areas. You truly did more than readers’ expectations. Thanks for imparting those useful, trusted, educational and also fun tips about this topic to Gloria.