while the economy seemingly tanks before our very eyes, it’s easy to forgot how incredibly lucky we are compared to so many who are so much less fortunate. at this time each year the food blogging community comes together to participate in raising money to feed the hungry via chez pim’s annual fundraising campaign, that raises money for the UN World Food Programme.
i knew i wanted to help, if only in some small way but i was unsure of what i could offer. my baking skills are rudimentary and it’s tough to ship a big bowl of pasta or a plate of short ribs… but then i thought of my wonderful friend RK in florida, the master of the smoked mullet – and how he has shared this insane delicacy with me. and because of the kind of man that he is, he agreed to make this possible by donating some of his product, just for this event. and to make matters even more interesting, this smoked mullet roe is commercially unavailable. so think of a rich smoky yolky caviar – and then think of something way better. and then you’re getting close…
in the words of RK:
Freshly smoked Silver Mullet roe, a rare Florida west coast delicacy, brought to you from Black Hammock Smokehouse. It has been salt cured and carefully warm smoked over Red Bay and Mangrove wood to retain the caviar essence of the eggs. This item includes 2 complete roe sacs individually vacuum sealed and delivered right to your door. Make no mistake, this is fresh, the fish are currently swimming nearshore, waiting for you to bid and then we will go select the donors. Nowhere else will you find this outstanding product.
UE10 is the code for this incredible smoked mullet roe
now while i realize these aren’t classically beautiful photographs, you must trust me that the taste is over the top delicious. sliced into coins and hit with some lemon, it will need nothing else, although feel free to get experimental. it’s pretty much like my beloved bottarga that has been smoked as opposed to just the sun and salt cured. and it is wonderful. no actually, it is a bona fide mind blower. if you love caviar and bottarga then this is directly up your ally.
and for $10 you can get a chance to own 2 of these which would be totally PERFECT for starting off the new year, no? imagine the dinner party…
again, this product is not available for purchase anywhere. it’s a highly rare and specialized item. please note that it can only be shipped within the continental usa and canada.
last year, donations went to support a school lunch program in Lesotho, and this years auction will once again support the same program. bidding on prizes is a small way for all of us to make a big difference.
to see other prizes from the east coast region, please check out steamy kitchen where jaden has been kind enough to host the greater east coast area.
1. Choose a prize or prizes of your choice from our Menu for Hope at chezpim.com
2. Go to the donation site at "firstgiving.com menu for hope 5" and make a donation.
3. Each $10 you donate will give you one raffle ticket toward a prize of your choice. Please specify which prize you’d like in the ‘Personal Message’ section in the donation form when confirming your donation. You must write-in how many tickets per prize, and please use the prize code. For example, a donation of $50 can be 2 tickets for EU01 and 3 tickets for EU02. Please write 2xEU01, 3xEU02
4. If your company matches your charity donation, please check the box and fill in the information so we could claim the corporate match.
5. Please allow us to see your email address so that we can contact you in case you win. Your email address will not be shared with anyone.