superlative chicken stock

October 20th, 2008 · 1,008 Comments

when i first read ‘the making of a chef’ by michael ruhlman, i remember being struck by the last line in an early chapter where he wrote something like, "and then i realized i had come to the CIA to learn how to make a perfect brown veal stock".

having made my own perhaps not-as-perfect version of veal stock, and now that i always keep a couple of quarts of this velvety and sublime stuff on hand, i knowingly smiled. because after all the cooking and the reading, and then all the eating, i get it. i really do. it matters. and so it’s worth the eye-rolls that i get from some friends who think my ingredients are a bit too esoteric, and my technique and principles, elitist – the same friends that when i see them use stock from a can or a box, i bite my tongue and cringe…

because i won’t.

i just can’t.

i’ve been shown the way, the light and the most noble of culinary truths…

no real stock on hand? use water.

happy halloween…

but then there are also those times when veal is not the stock of choice. veal stock is more neutral, able to boost flavors in a very subtle but definitive way, while chicken stock is unmistakably – chickeny. and well, sometimes it’s just what you need and nothing else will do. ok, turkey stock will definitely do and then some…

so when the weather was deciding to get cooler, before it changed its mind and went back to the mid 80’s (and now down again), i decided to make chicken soup. i had hit the farmers market a few days before and picked up a chicken, a bag of necks and a bag of feet. the original thought was that i’d make some stock. after all, tis the season of soups and braises and stock is the quintessential element.

so i began by cutting the wings off my chicken and browning them in a large pot along with the assorted aforementioned extras in just a bit of canola oil and then filling the pot with filtered water, bay leaves, crushed peppercorns, a couple of carrots and a very large onion. the last addition was the bag of roasted carcasses and assorted bones that had been saved and frozen from our last 3 roasted chicken dinners in anticipation of ‘stock making day’.

reach out and touch someone…

my goal was to create a good solid stock and then add my now wingless chicken to the pot along with a parsnip for the last 90 minutes. the chicken would then get removed, skinned and pulled apart and the broth would be strained some more. and there would be egg noodles along with the shredded meat – and a few sliced carrots thrown in at the end with a very fine smattering of parsley for color… such is my usual chicken soup.

after about 4 hours at a barely imperceptible bubble, i removed the feet, neck, bones and vegetables and strained the broth through my damp towel lined chinoise, not once but 3 times. my stock looked and smelled absolutely beautiful and i was feeling pretty good about myself. and then i suddenly remembered the whole superlative stock concept that chef pardus had mentioned in ruhlman’s book and i temporarily lost interest in the soup. just like that. and i decided to go the extra mile and make the best damn chicken stock this side of the mississippi.

so into the strained stock went the body of the chicken and i let it simmer for about another 2 hours. after, i removed the bird from the broth, peeled off the skin in one full swoop and shredded the meat. it went into the refrigerator for whatever, whenever, later getting used in one round of soup, sandwiches and salads and the occasional cat treat.

the stock was put back on the stove and slowly reduced down for another 2 hours and was then strained 2 more times. after it cooled on the stove, it was zip-locked and frozen in 2 cup batches. i kept the last 2 cups in the fridge to make us soup at some point that week, and when i went back to my stock, it was heavily gelatinized.

a very good sign…

i think both chef pardus, ruhlman and my grandmother would have been pleased with the result.

later that week the stock shown above was reheated, slightly rehydrated, seasoned and then the obligatory noodles, chicken meat and carrot coins were added. i never did remember the parsley – or to take a photo of the finished soup.

when we sat down to dinner and i took my first spoonful, cary asked me how i thought it was and i looked at him and said, "it’s extraordinarily honest."

so maybe next time i won’t make the superlative version of my chicken stock. or maybe i will.

i guess we’ll just see how the day is going…

Tags: chicken · soup

1,008 responses so far ↓

• 1 http://jummum-nyc.com/chapel-insurance.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:59 pm

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don’t know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already Cheers!

• 2 http://adoradoslegacy.com/change-of-address-admiral-car-insurance.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Necroman napsal:Tak dneska jedu domu, odpoledne projedu neco ze singlu a snad dam dohromady nejaky ten coop match… jinak jak tu ctu ty komentare, co komu chybi – uz se tesim na Portal 2: Episode 1

• 3 http://nacmm.info/car-insurance-in-sydney.html // Sep 23, 2016 at 9:46 pm

I agree with you, but it’s very idealistic. How many people really have the gift of celibay and of those who do how many want to be preachers? Was the priest a Cardinal?

• 4 insurance auto // Sep 24, 2016 at 1:34 am

E agora falo eu Gostei muito da companhia das duas. Foi, sem dúvida alguma, inspiradora!! E apesar de todas as tarefas que havia para fazer, foi um sábado muito sereno onde tudo correu tão bem… As tuas flores ficam perfeitas no Pestana. Aliás as tuas flores ficam perfeitas em qualquer ambiente: dignificam os espaços e ambientes menos nobres e completam na perfeição os mais requintados . Um grande, grande beijinho para as duas. Aos noivos, claro, os votos de muitas felicidades juntinhos

• 5 asda compare car insurance // Sep 24, 2016 at 2:11 am

That’s the smart thinking we could all benefit from.

• 6 http://jummum-nyc.com/allianz-com-au-car-insurance.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:13 am

Anon,Michael Barone is a U.S. Conservative commentatorwho would probably be tempted to racial slurs, or might not even know the origon of the term.As to Mr.Shafer, I’ve never heard of him and have no idea what bearing he’s supposed to have on this issue.

• 7 primera auto insurance san antonio tx // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:54 am

Son of a bitch. I already bought the regular Saber Alter. While I can definitely afford paying for another, even at stupidly high prices, I don’t know if I’m willing to pay for another head sculpt of something I already own.

• 8 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/how-to-check-if-a-vehicle-has-insurance.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 5:19 am

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!Look into my web page ;

• 9 auto insurance // Sep 24, 2016 at 6:30 am

Co racja, to racja. Szkoda, że wszyscy klienci tak nie myÅ›lÄ… wybierajÄ…c znacznie taÅ„sze oferty i potem wmuszajÄ… w siebie zadowolenie ze zdjęć, bo… nie majÄ… już wyjÅ›cia :/

• 10 http://jummum-nyc.com/motor-vehicle-insurance-offences.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 7:04 am

I just want to say I am all new to blogging and certainly loved you’re web blog. Likely I’m likely to bookmark your website . You actually come with outstanding posts. Thanks a bunch for sharing with us your webpage.

• 11 insurance rates by car 2012 // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:11 am

I wanted to spend a minute to thank you for this.

• 12 panama city auto insurance // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:22 am

Hello…Considerably, the story is in reality the greatest on this noteworthy topic. I agree together with your conclusions and will eagerly watch forward to your next updates. Saying good one will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic clarity inside your …

• 13 snap on gearless ratchet // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:04 am

This is an article that makes you think “never thought of that!”

• 14 http://jummum-nyc.com/libel-insurance.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 10:32 am

Thanks for writing such an easy-to-understand article on this topic.

• 15 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/is-national-insurance-a-tax.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:40 am

I was really encouraged to seek out this website. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I undoubtedly savored each little little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to have a look at new stuff you publish.

• 16 http://adoradoslegacy.com/does-everyone-have-a-national-insurance-number.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Viv. Sei fantastica. Basta. Con questa faccenda della ricetta che te la scordi e succede pure ammè che ho tante foto e non mi ricordo più le ricette ora mi sento meno sola. E ho scoperto che sei su feisbuc e così ti posso stolkare pure dillà oltre che su instagram. Sei spacciata. E adorabile, cacchio 😀

• 17 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/off-road-insurance.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 3:28 pm

A pleasingly rational answer. Good to hear from you.

• 18 http://adoradoslegacy.com/car-insurance-corsa-sxi.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Ah, a book with a sentimental value. They are the best.My favorite book is “Don Juan, The Life and Death of Don Miguel de Mañara”, by Josef Toman. The most beautiful love story I have ever read. It belonged to my parents and the copy I have is old and yellow by now.

• 19 can you set up car insurance online // Sep 24, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Martha and Family,You are all in our prayers. I know this is hard; losing a parent, yet know she is now in the arms of our Lord, and he will comfort you in this difficult time. We will continue to think of you and know she is now at peace.

• 20 my car was repossessed what are my rights // Sep 24, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Howdy! I simply want to give an enormous thumbs up for the good info you could have right here on this post. I will be coming back to your weblog for more soon.

• 21 http://jummum-nyc.com/auto-insurance-pomona.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 6:50 pm

WORLD CONSUMER ALLIANCE has done it right…..JOIN FOR FREE……that is correct no cost to join.NO MONTHLY FEE……that is correct no monthly costNO MATRIX… …yes you heard correctly DON’T MISS OUT ON THISCall 214-763-8335 Kathy and we will change our lives forever.THIS IS HELPING PEOPLE FIRE THEIR BOSSES!!

• 22 full coverage auto insurance in missouri // Sep 24, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Chimichangas and Burritos are a huge hit around our house. It used to be that I would cook up a big pot of beans and make “burrito kits,” assembling a pint of cooked pintos, a bag of shredded cheese, precooked taco meat, and a package of tortillas. I would freeze this kit for later use in the month when we’d have a burrito bar or chimichangas for lunch or dinner.

• 23 cheap sr22 insurance Whittier CA // Sep 24, 2016 at 10:13 pm

If you want to get read, this is how you should write.

• 24 car insurance rates Myrtle Beach SC // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm

« formats antédiluviens non exploitables avec des applications web). »Mais formats LIBRES et donc ouverts à toute application. Et retravaillable à souhait ce qui est bien plus sûr que les formats fermés commerciaux.Donc, soit vous voulez faire la promotion du payant, soit vous n’y connaissez rien en informatique.

• 25 http://jummum-nyc.com/short-term-car-lease-with-insurance.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Bon mwen pamse refleksyon nou yo bon, men mwen panse kreyol la pa sufi paske nou se yon ti peyi fok nou konnen lot lang tou. Mwen ta swete pou ministe edikasyon an ta menm ankouraje anseye angle ak espanyol nan tout leko prime yo, ak yon entwodiksyon nan lang chinwa.

• 26 free car insurance quotes Kingman AZ // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:33 pm

It’s a pleasure to find someone who can identify the issues so clearly

• 27 http://dragonflyexpressions.com/encompass-home-and-auto-insurance-reviews.html // Sep 24, 2016 at 11:46 pm

aaaaah ultima cs!!io se fss stata Niall avrei pensato l’opzione 1 “ke skifo,un 75enne mi sta baciando,bleh” ma chissà frs ha pensato la 2° xk dustin Hoffman è cmq Dustin Hoffman…insomma un nonnetto speciale e nn da poco!!ok ora vado babes xx irix

• 28 cheapest car insurance in Evansville IN // Sep 25, 2016 at 12:38 am

Interesante comparación RafaY realmente tienes toda la razón: ¿Cómo es posible que esto ocurra en un supuesto estado aconfesional?Estoy segura que ni Zapatero podría dar una contestación coherente.Un beso

• 29 car insurance for over 80's // Sep 25, 2016 at 12:52 am

That’s really thinking of the highest order

• 30 average car insurance rates in Hazleton PA // Sep 25, 2016 at 2:10 am

I really wanted to construct a quick remark to say thanks to you for all the fabulous concepts you are sharing on this website. My time-consuming internet investigation has at the end of the day been compensated with high-quality facts and strategies to write about with my great friends. I ‘d repeat that many of us readers are truly lucky to dwell in a wonderful community with very many marvellous professionals with useful plans. I feel rather blessed to have used your site and look forward to plenty of more fun moments reading here. Thank you once again for everything.

• 31 do i need a travel insurance to uk // Sep 25, 2016 at 3:09 am

Moim zdnaiem każdy powinien dać jakiś pomysł co dodac, i ktoś nie mówie o egipie Jensa tylko np. ludzie z mycraft wybrali by najlepsze i mogli by SPRUBOWAĆ podesłać to Jensowi

• 32 affordable auto insurance Newark NJ // Sep 25, 2016 at 4:03 am

regarding gates-i agree with you on his healthcare views. that's just populist limousine liberalism masquerading as sophistication.regarding bias, i am not operating under the illusion that i know what happened around DOS and microsoft.i have read accounts from both sides. i presume both are biased and i do not have the data to proclaim the truth.juandos just read "they made america" and is quoting therefrom.

• 33 non owners car insurance quotes Philadelphia PA // Sep 25, 2016 at 6:11 am

Najpierw muszę skończyć szkołę tę, potem inną, jeszcze inną, póżniej pomyślę o rzeczach, ktore wiążą ludzi tym, tamtym, czy czymś innym Jak mogę skakać, na coś czego nie ma? Krzychu, Ty weź już tabletki! koniec bezsensownej dyskusji Ja Ciebie nie przekonam, ani Ty mnie. Zawsze Ci powiem, że z gówna robisz złoto i tyle.

• 34 car insurance Pikeville KY // Sep 25, 2016 at 6:32 am

Visst kan vintern vara vacker, fin stämning i din bild;-)Den kom lite tidigt i år vintern men jag hoppas på en tidig låååång vår som kompensation;-)Ha en skön Lucia

• 35 cheap car insurance quotes Cary NC // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:20 am

El,bei dir wäre es wohl eher der (Un-)ruhestand “Lassen Sie mich durch, ich bin Chirurg aus Brandenburg”…Ich spreche aus Erfahrung Bronx

• 36 affordable car insurance Sanford FL // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:22 am

This is what we need – an insight to make everyone think

• 37 car insurance in Orlando FL // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:27 am

That’s a creative answer to a difficult question