roasted marrow bones and parsley salad

March 21st, 2008 · 26 Comments

roasting bone marrow is about as straight forward as you can get when it comes to cooking. you simply soak the bones in salted water for at least 8 hours, changing the water a few times – each time adding salt. then it’s into the oven at 450 for 15 – 20 minutes. the marrow should be just soft and pulling away from the bone. timing here is essential, as you need to be very careful not to melt the marrow by leaving it in the oven too long. like i did. but i was drinking very good red wine – heavily – so i am not to be blamed… still we were left with a few silky scoops and the marrow experience was just plain heaven.

roast marrow bones with parsley salad
(adapted from "
the whole beast: nose to tail eating" by fergus henderson)

about 2/3 cup very coarsely chopped italian parsley leaves
1 shallot – diced fine
1 garlic clove diced very fine
2 teaspoons small capers
3 tablespoons of your best olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
coarse sea salt, preferably fleur de sel, for garnish toasted baguette slices

there are those who consider roasted marrow bones the better dish over foie gras. needless to say, they are two very different animals – and animal parts – for sure. the marrow seems earthier, deeper and more subtly powerful than the liver. you kinda wanna marry the marrow, but still have a steady string of flings with the foie. either way, you’re gonna be one fat n’ happy puppy. this much i know is true…

(and for your viewing pleasure, please click over to this article which features a video of mark bittman, fergus and some damn fine looking marrow bones.)

Tags: beef

• 1 // Sep 18, 2016 at 12:48 am

nice reviewam a gnome user (for now), but kde4 will be amazing in a short periodmany people have been bashing on kde4, but they gotta understand this is just the first working stable release and still needs a lot of work

• 2 // Sep 18, 2016 at 2:46 am

Mucho cuidado. No es que nos hayan engañado, lo que pasa es que ellos no se imaginaban que los bárbaros de los socialistas hubiesen dejado un panorama a nivel económico tan negro.

• 3 // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:39 am

This article gives prominence to the conundrum that is Turkey. A modern state of prosperity set-forth as an example of progress and democracy for its regional neighbors, while, at the same time, disregarding the basic human rights of its Kurdish population. In this well-articulated article, the dilemma is clearly stated, and I hope to see the Kurds share equal rights in Turkey.

• 4 // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:27 am

Just wanted to say that I love Tamora Pierce as well and the fact that there was a quote by her praising the book Graceling was what caught my attention to it. The book was wonderful-couldn’t put it down!!! Love Love Loved it!Can’t wait for more to come!!

• 5 // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:05 am

Aristocrata,si me permites te hago una corrección,con todo el cariño y el respeto del mundo.No es sombrero andaluz,su denominación correcta es sombrero cordobés o de ala ancha (y por cierto,hay diferentes tipos,según el ancho del ala y la altura de la copa). Yo tengo además de varios sombreros de ala ancha, un sombrero Panamá, para el verano. En invierno suelo utilizar gorra, pero cada día me animo más por comprarme un sombrero.Otra puntualización localista,por aquí por el sur los “fedora” suelen llamarse mascotas.Un saludo de nuevo.NACHO

• 6 // Sep 18, 2016 at 11:32 am

The deaths at the Love Parade were not drug related but caused by the organizers due to poor decision making and regulations that were not followed by security as well as the Mayor of Duisburg. You are referring to an accident in a post about drug doesn’t seem very fitting to me. There is a difference between people dying from taking drugs and people being crushed to death because of mass panic due to being held in a small space.

• 7 // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Sounds like another idiot in public office that hasn’t read, or doesn’t believe in, the constitution!Hopefully – (if this country still exists)-people will study and learn all they can about a candidate BEFORE they pull that lever!!!We’re all learning about the current boneheads now aren’t we???!!!–

• 8 // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Wow, so they’re pissed that Obama shows too much deference to the Saudi king for bowing while they’re also pissed at Michelle for not showing enough deference by actually touching the Queen of England. I really can’t keep up with these fools.And Anonymous3, I’m no big fan of Saudi Arabia either, but shouldn’t your outrage be pointed at the fact that Afghanistan, our supposed allies and vacuum of American aid money just legalized marital rape?!!!

• 9 // Sep 18, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Brad, I’m no expert but from what I’ve read I agree, there’s no way to feed the world’s population without fertilizer at least, and GMO promises to increase yields dramatically over time. The world needs this stuff or it needs a steep population decline. Still, I’d like to know exactly what’s in my food, and I don’t see any reason to not label. You’re arguing something different, but I just wanted to comment that I agree with a lot of what you’re saying.

• 10 // Sep 19, 2016 at 12:11 am

Hallo Tobias,hm das ist schwer zu sagen.Vielleicht hast Du das Outlet des UILabels im Storyboard nicht “label” sondern irgendwie anders genannt; eventuell ein Tippfehler…Klicke mal auf dieses rote Ausrufezeichen. Es sollte dann eine Fehlerbeschreibung angezeigt werden. Wenn ich diese weiß, kann ich dir wahrscheinlich eher weiterhelfen.Aber nicht aufgeben, solche Fehlermeldungen gehören dazu Viele GrüßeFelix

• 11 // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:22 am

I am pleased, I must say. Really rarely do I experience a website that’s both e…ducative and enjoyable, and let me inform you, you’ve hit the nail on the mind. Your strategy is excellent the matter is something that inadequate individuals are talking intelligently about. I’m very happy that I stumbled across this in my look for something concerning this.

• 12 // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:17 am

gerceli / tenho EM 3 anos,realmente vivo muito bem agora no momento estou com dormencia na mao e esperando uma consulta,vamos ver.tomo betainterferon 1 dia sim outro nao a mais de 1 ano,realmente gostaria de outro remedio que nao fosse tao dolorido e as vezes ateh com efeito os depoimentos e achei muito interessante a reposiçao de vitamina d.vou me informar o processo como se faz.agradeço a todos e cada dia eh um dia a ser vivido e nao esqueça intensamente e sempre feliz por ter a vida.Gostei deste comentário ou não: 2

• 13 // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:32 pm

I suggest you try EL NIDO , Palawan – Miniloc Island resort. Romantic beach walks with beautiful nature. You can own that place to yourself and much peaceful/relaxing

• 14 // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Congratulations to your sister for her bundles of joy!And congratulations to you!! May you spoil them beyond repair like every aunt should. The three of you are very lucky.

• 15 // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Pour Del Po, je pense que c’est plus le physique que le mental qui est entamé actuellement. Faut pas oublier que Del Po est le plus jeune de la bande des 5 et qu’il est celui qui est arrivé le + tard au très haut niveau. De plus, l’an dernier, il avait déjà bien galéré en fin de saison avec notamment un gros raté en finale de la CD. Je pense qu’avec les vacances puis la préparation, il reviendra à un bon niveau, reste à voir si cette année il pourra tenir la distance sur toute une saison.

• 16 // Sep 19, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for the information. I am in a process of implementing a new CMS for our current 6 yr old business site, we will migrate all the content to the new site. Should I be considering 301 Redirect for any reason?

• 17 // Sep 19, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Good write-up, I am normal visitor of one’s site, maintain up the nice operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a long time. “Good nonsense is good sense in disguise.” by Josh Billings.

• 18 auto acceptance insurance Oswego IL // Sep 20, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Pure a me sembrava sproporzionata la reazione di Paolo, ma la risposta di flaviofazio mi ha convinto che era nel giusto.Flaviofazio si fosse fermato ai primi due paragrafi OK: sono alle prime armi, non intendevano spammare, è stato un qui pro quo.Ma a partire dalla frase "Non siamo degli spammer" quello che segue cos' è se non spam?Questi sono spammer, e pure recidivi.CiaoCarson

• 19 // Sep 20, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a few unrelated data, nonetheless seriously really worth taking a appear, whoa did a single learn about Mid East has got extra problerms as well

• 20 best auto insurance in Oconomowoc WI // Sep 20, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Hi everyone, thank you for all your lovely comments and emails. I am sorry that I won't be able to reply to each and single one but rest assured that I read every word of what you have written.

• 21 // Sep 20, 2016 at 5:16 pm

annamaria19/03/2012Ciao Chiara. L’articolo di Internazionale è davvero interessante e ne consiglio la lettura. Grazie per averlo rintracciato e per averlo postato. Ciao Walter. E’ sempre bello leggerti.

• 22 cheap full coverage car insurance Pinellas Park FL // Sep 20, 2016 at 6:03 pm

hello, what has happened to the chrome dev tools search box? my chrome has updated and now it's gone! I found that search box invaluable when debugging while developing.

• 23 cheapest car insurance Laguna Beach CA // Sep 21, 2016 at 2:35 am

Moi, j’aime pas les groupes mais chacun ses goûts… Se dénigrer les uns les autres m’énerve ! Chaque formule a ses avantages et ses inconvénients, et l’une n’est pas mieux que l’autre.Mais, je ne me vois pas aller dans un pays sans y visiter ses sites touristiques.Bonne journée Petitgris.

• 24 // Sep 21, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Beautiful card! Gives me lots of ideas. Even though I’m a guy, I like lace. I’m also a member of RRR’s monthly club, and I like the assortment of things I get from them every month. I’d love to have this valentine’s assortment!

• 25 online car insurance quotes // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:39 pm

MVMB disse:Concordo que a nota mais desinforma que informa. Cabe buscar quem foi a fonte desta notícia que, em meu ver, não tem um pingo de fundamento ou verdade. NÃO tem FREMM, MEKO ou qq outro escolta para ser adquirido.Este governo já fechou a conta e passou a régua em gastos militares – se bobear não sai nem o caça da FAB – e aí vamos para 4 governos (16 anos) de indefinição.Lembrem-se, militar e defesa nacional não dão voto…..

• 26örsäkring-eller-halvförsäkring-bil.html // Sep 22, 2016 at 3:31 am

Wow, superb blog layout! How extensive have you been blogging for? you complete blogging look painless. The largely give the impression of being of your web position is fantastic, as well as the content!