rosemary madeleines

March 10th, 2010 · 20 Comments

i’ve not been able to get into inner workings of my blog for awhile now. i’ve been somehow mysteriously locked out of wordpress and it’s been – well kind of bizarre. but i am temporarily ‘in’ so i thought at the very least i could give you these small and dainty sponge cakes that i made 2 weeks ago. i had seen these madeleines posted on james beard’s site and was drawn to them immediately. they come from chef nicolas elmi of le bec-fin in philadelphia.

i’ve only made madeleines once before. a browned butter and lemon version that were nothing short of spectacular, rich and fragrant. but – one needs the pan before one can make a madeleine, non?. and it took me awhile before i decided to take the plunge and make the commitment to baking madeleines on occasion. and so now i definitely think that you too should indulge in a madeleine pan and consider making these – right away.

this recipe is wonderful. a lot of fresh rosemary, orange and lemon zest along with just a bit of a salt bite that somehow takes them over the edge into a very grown up taste sensation.

rosemary madeleines

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon orange zest

cream together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, and salt until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. sift together the flour and baking powder. alternate mixing the eggs and sifted dry ingredients into the butter mixture. mix in the rosemary, lemon zest,  and orange zest. cover the bowl and chill the batter for about an hour.

preheat the oven to 375º F. butter and flour the madeleine pan. fill the molds about two thirds full with the batter. bake for 6 to 7 minutes, until the madeleines spring back to form when poked in their centers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tags: baking

• 1 Jack // Mar 10, 2010 at 12:10 pm

those look like the perfect 4:00 intermission….I have everything on hand except the pans and orange zest :-(

• 2 krysta // Mar 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

‘they’re quite simple to make and nothing short of impressive. not so much a dessert as perhaps a 4:00 pm intermission to your day…’ well after reading that i need to go make an investment on some madeleine pans…

• 3 Kristie // Mar 10, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I always assumed “4:00 intermission” was a major sex act, but whatevs. I’ll still be willing to accept a shipment of your madeleines. Not just because my cat’s name is Madeleine, either. Because they look DELICIOUS.

• 4 emily Walters // Mar 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I had these. They rocked me. She is a goddess.

• 5 lisaiscooking // Mar 10, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I recently took the plunge and purchased a madeleine pan, and I’m glad I did. I’ve made savory madeleins so far but no sweet ones. The rosemary and citrus in these sound great.

• 6 Peter // Mar 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm

This is by far your worst excuse yet for neglecting your blog, though you do get props for drinking coffee the way it should be done. (Or at least photographing it that way.)

• 7 nancy at goodfoodmatters // Mar 11, 2010 at 7:52 am

I am most fond of madeleines (namesake of my daughter!) and have never tried them with an herb element–good thinking! yours look exceptional….

• 8 Becky and the Beanstock // Mar 11, 2010 at 11:01 am

LOVE rosemary cookies (lemon thyme is nice too for a dunker)! And I have some farm-fresh eggs that I gotta use up before my next delivery arrives so…. I think I know what I’ll be doing in the next day or so.

• 9 Rachel (S[d]OC) // Mar 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Proust would be proud.

I haven’t made any madeleines because I don’t have the pan. I’m afraid if I buy the pan, I’ll start making them all the time and my waistline isn’t getting any smaller!

I love adding unusual herbs to desserts. They’re fun to experiment with. I made a rosemary apple pie with a thyme crust last year just for the fun of it.

• 10 Claudia // Mar 11, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Oh fine, now I need to have a madeleine pan, the extra space to store it, and that lovely latticed dish you served them on.

• 11 Cool Springs TN // Mar 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm

We’re growing rosemary at our office this year!

• 12 lo // Mar 11, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Well executed dishes featuring rosemary always make my knees a bit wobbly. Of course, those browned butter lemon madelaines sounds pretty good too…

• 13 Amanda // Mar 13, 2010 at 2:44 am

I want these – right now!!
    I have no madeleine pan, but I doubt that will stop me!

• 14 Shari // Mar 14, 2010 at 4:51 pm

These look perfect!! I love madelines and these turned out beautifully for you!

• 15 kaitlynsage // Mar 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I love love love that plate. Where’d it come from?

• 16 Angela@spinachtiger // Apr 15, 2010 at 6:24 am

I can’t believe it’s been so long since I’ve been here. I never pictured you for a cookie baker, but you presented an outstanding recipe, and makes me want to get that pan.

• 17 Dave // Apr 25, 2010 at 5:54 am

• 18 Eric // Apr 25, 2010 at 7:32 pm

We’re growing rosemary at our office this year!

• 19 Kelly // Apr 26, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I had these. They rocked me. She is a goddess.

• 20 Simon // Apr 27, 2010 at 8:40 pm