‘city bakery’s’ cranberry caramel almond tart

November 24th, 2007 · 8 Comments

img_2799.JPG

holidays can make you do things that you wouldn’t ordinarily do were it not for the sake of the joyous diversions that we recognize as “festivity”.  some people (not me) carve out faces on big orange gourds and dress up in scary/amusing costumes, while other people display flags attached to their homes adorned with turkeys and pilgrims (also most definitely not me).  and then there are those that string colored lights on various foliage (guilty and jewish), and put huge blow-up snowmen in their yards (if i ever do this you have permission to take me out of my insanity however you see fit).  and while they’re at it, these same good folks are often baking up a storm.

i read about this tart on two really exceptional blogs where it was beyond raved about.  so i was willing to break my ‘never ever make pastry like ever’ rule in the name of both greatness and thanksgiving.  so i went there.  and now i am here to tell you how i am reminded that pastry making is some messy thankless business.  and i am once again done with it.  it’s a temperamental foodstuff requiring all the planets to be in correct alignment while the temperature of both your kitchen and countertop are within 3 degrees of like, whatever.  there is so much room for failure that my better judgement just looks at me and says, “why go there?” while my ego says “you surely have enough ‘know how’ if not kitchen apparatus, to see you through just one damn tart shell”.

img_2190.JPG

“and what is that ever so interesting texture on the bottom of your tart shell”, you ask?  well, i was thinking i needed pie weights.  and i was wrong.  so they all sunk down and needed to get flicked out of their hot little bunkers leaving me with that very entertaining holey pattern.  oh, and as you can see, as i feared the crust did shrink down the sides.

img_2809.JPG

but no one noticed…

Tags: baking

• 1 Mary Coleman // Nov 25, 2007 at 9:29 am

Jeez, that looks wonderful. I’m a member of the “Don’t ever Make Pastry Again” club myself, but this looks like it would be worth it for one last shot, as you said.

• 2 deb // Nov 25, 2007 at 9:50 am

Looks wonderful–I’m glad you liked it too! I haven’t posted about it yet, but I might have finally had the “a-ha” moment that will get my pastry shells to shrink less: rolling a bit of the extra under so it stays on the top rim of the shell. I ended up with *no* shrinkage and was able to use 100% of the filling. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of this before.

• 3 Julie // Nov 25, 2007 at 6:28 pm

That looks gorgeous! I plan to make this one at some point just based on Luisa and Deb’s enthusiasm for it.

Even though I also find pastry a tempermental foodstuff. Actually my theory is that there’s a piecrust and pastry gene and some folks have it, and some just don’t. (I don’t.) But sometimes you just have to try and fight destiny.

• 4 FireDog // Nov 25, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Now that is one beautiful tart! Gorgeous! I know it tasted as good as it looks.

Remind me next year to buy you a 20 foot blowup pumpkin for your yard….

• 5 fluffernutter // Nov 26, 2007 at 10:44 am

I’m with Julie on that “pastry gene” thing and you on that whole “thankless” thing — I’ve got the pastry gene, but hardly anyone eats any of the fancy stuff I bake. They want Rice Krispie Squares and Kroger Pumpkin Pie. Your tart is spectacular — how did it taste?

• 6 Dana // Nov 27, 2007 at 10:26 am

It looks beautiful to me! Everyone is making this tart — I really have to get on board. It looks fantastic! Did people enjoy it??

• 7 claudia // Nov 27, 2007 at 10:27 pm

fluff and dana – it was really good. i liked it very much. cary liked it even more the next few days heated up in the oven!

• 8 jim voorhies // Nov 29, 2007 at 2:18 pm

that looks awesome. i’ll have to try it. wonder why you got all the divots in the crust. did you use parchment or aluminum foil under the weights?

• 9 Alfredo // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:17 am

74eHi guys. Here’s my update. I got into cotcnat with a local investigator and they got hold of Brian. He FINALLY agreed to send me my promised parts. But the biggest joke? This only shows how much more of a moron and fraud Brian is. This is what he sent me:- 2 pots instead of 3 for the electronics- A BLACK body instead of my specific order of Olympic White. Furthermore, the relic work sucks. Just random dings and dents- A set of 1962 Klein pickups. BUT I ordered a Jazzy Cat set- Tortoise pickguard with a WHITE backplate (I ordered neither of these. It was supposed to be Olympic White with Mint Green and NO backplate)- Rusty metal parts that are more like junks instead of relic’ So the verdict is I highly doubt any decent guitars are going to come out. The dude has no tracking of his own orders and he exercises his mouth of excuses more than actually building anything. Imagine it took me another 2 months just trying to come up with ways to engage local law enforcement to put pressure on this guy. Brian did not return me any emails until that local investigator talked to him. I saw that FB page too. You can’t see anything now. But earlier this year, Brian still had the time to post stuff on his FB, especially on Joe Bonamassa’s page about how much he adores him. Basically, he has time to roam around FB instead of worrying about his long line of backlogged orders. My thought is that if possible, someone from the US should really file a lawsuit against him. I would have done it if I was from the US. I find it hard to have sympathy with whatever health issues he’s facing (or whether he really has them or not, that’s another possibility). Many people are affected in this with hundreds of dollars lost.

• 10 michael kors outlet store // Jul 22, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I really wanted to write a message to say thanks to you for the unique tips and tricks you are giving at this website. My extended internet research has now been paid with reputable information to talk about with my great friends. I ‘d assume that many of us website visitors actually are very much fortunate to exist in a good community with very many wonderful people with great tricks. I feel extremely lucky to have discovered your entire web page and look forward to plenty of more exciting times reading here. Thanks a lot again for everything.

• 11 yeezy boost 350 // Jul 23, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I have to get across my affection for your kind-heartedness for visitors who really need help on that concern. Your personal dedication to passing the message up and down ended up being wonderfully valuable and has regularly empowered most people much like me to realize their dreams. Your amazing warm and helpful tips and hints means a whole lot a person like me and substantially more to my colleagues. Thanks a lot; from all of us.

• 12 yeezy boost // Jul 24, 2016 at 2:09 am

I wish to express my passion for your generosity in support of men and women that must have guidance on that situation. Your very own dedication to getting the message all through appears to be extremely powerful and have continually helped ladies much like me to achieve their goals. Your entire warm and friendly guide means a whole lot a person like me and a whole lot more to my fellow workers. With thanks; from all of us.

• 13 adidas tubular runner // Jul 24, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I simply had to thank you very much all over again. I’m not certain the things I might have worked on without the type of advice shared by you regarding that subject. It was before the alarming case in my opinion, but coming across this well-written mode you resolved it took me to weep over delight. Extremely happy for this information and as well , trust you recognize what an amazing job that you’re putting in teaching many people through the use of your websites. Probably you haven’t met any of us.

• 14 nike air huarache // Jul 24, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I really wanted to make a quick comment in order to say thanks to you for some of the amazing tricks you are giving on this site. My time intensive internet search has at the end of the day been rewarded with good quality points to exchange with my co-workers. I would declare that we site visitors actually are rather blessed to exist in a fine network with many perfect people with very beneficial solutions. I feel really privileged to have used your webpages and look forward to really more cool times reading here. Thanks once more for everything.

• 15 basketball shoes // Jul 25, 2016 at 4:40 pm

My husband and i were joyous Jordan could complete his investigations through the ideas he discovered from your very own web site. It is now and again perplexing to just find yourself giving for free helpful hints that many a number of people have been making money from. So we figure out we’ve got the website owner to give thanks to because of that. Those illustrations you made, the simple web site navigation, the friendships you can make it possible to create – it’s many powerful, and it is facilitating our son in addition to the family imagine that that topic is interesting, which is certainly highly essential. Many thanks for all!

• 16 huarache shoes // Jul 26, 2016 at 12:54 am

My husband and i have been so happy when Chris could carry out his studies using the precious recommendations he acquired from your weblog. It is now and again perplexing to simply always be freely giving strategies other people may have been selling. We really remember we need the website owner to appreciate for that. All the explanations you made, the easy web site menu, the relationships you can help foster – it’s got most astounding, and it’s really leading our son in addition to our family reckon that this subject is satisfying, which is quite pressing. Thanks for all!

• 17 chrome heats // Jul 26, 2016 at 7:02 pm

I am just commenting to make you know of the excellent experience my wife’s child obtained using yuor web blog. She even learned several issues, which included how it is like to possess an ideal giving character to make certain people without problems know just exactly a number of complicated subject matter. You truly did more than her expectations. Thanks for imparting those insightful, dependable, explanatory and even unique tips about that topic to Tanya.

• 18 cheap air jordan // Jul 27, 2016 at 5:42 am

I want to voice my affection for your kindness for those people who actually need help with your content. Your special dedication to passing the solution all-around turned out to be certainly interesting and have all the time helped others much like me to realize their desired goals. This valuable hints and tips means a whole lot to me and somewhat more to my office workers. Thanks a ton; from all of us.

• 19 yeezy boost 350 // Jul 27, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I intended to post you one tiny observation so as to say thanks over again about the nice solutions you have contributed above. It has been simply particularly open-handed of you to give publicly just what most of us could possibly have advertised as an e-book to end up making some profit on their own, even more so since you could possibly have done it in case you wanted. These secrets additionally acted to become a fantastic way to be certain that most people have a similar keenness just as my very own to learn significantly more in respect of this issue. I believe there are thousands of more fun sessions up front for individuals who start reading your site.

• 20 adidas nmd // Jul 27, 2016 at 10:53 pm

I’m also writing to make you understand of the magnificent experience my friend’s princess enjoyed using your web page. She picked up some details, which included how it is like to possess an amazing teaching mindset to let a number of people clearly know just exactly some multifaceted issues. You undoubtedly surpassed people’s expectations. I appreciate you for delivering such good, healthy, revealing not to mention cool tips on your topic to Julie.