‘city bakery’s’ cranberry caramel almond tart

November 24th, 2007 · 8 Comments

holidays can make you do things that you wouldn’t ordinarily do were it not for the sake of the joyous diversions that we recognize as “festivity”.  some people (not me) carve out faces on big orange gourds and dress up in scary/amusing costumes, while other people display flags attached to their homes adorned with turkeys and pilgrims (also most definitely not me).  and then there are those that string colored lights on various foliage (guilty and jewish), and put huge blow-up snowmen in their yards (if i ever do this you have permission to take me out of my insanity however you see fit).  and while they’re at it, these same good folks are often baking up a storm.

i read about this tart on two really exceptional blogs where it was beyond raved about.  so i was willing to break my ‘never ever make pastry like ever’ rule in the name of both greatness and thanksgiving.  so i went there.  and now i am here to tell you how i am reminded that pastry making is some messy thankless business.  and i am once again done with it.  it’s a temperamental foodstuff requiring all the planets to be in correct alignment while the temperature of both your kitchen and countertop are within 3 degrees of like, whatever.  there is so much room for failure that my better judgement just looks at me and says, “why go there?” while my ego says “you surely have enough ‘know how’ if not kitchen apparatus, to see you through just one damn tart shell”.

“and what is that ever so interesting texture on the bottom of your tart shell”, you ask?  well, i was thinking i needed pie weights.  and i was wrong.  so they all sunk down and needed to get flicked out of their hot little bunkers leaving me with that very entertaining holey pattern.  oh, and as you can see, as i feared the crust did shrink down the sides.

but no one noticed…

Tags: baking

• 1 Mary Coleman // Nov 25, 2007 at 9:29 am

Jeez, that looks wonderful. I’m a member of the “Don’t ever Make Pastry Again” club myself, but this looks like it would be worth it for one last shot, as you said.

• 2 deb // Nov 25, 2007 at 9:50 am

Looks wonderful–I’m glad you liked it too! I haven’t posted about it yet, but I might have finally had the “a-ha” moment that will get my pastry shells to shrink less: rolling a bit of the extra under so it stays on the top rim of the shell. I ended up with *no* shrinkage and was able to use 100% of the filling. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of this before.

• 3 Julie // Nov 25, 2007 at 6:28 pm

That looks gorgeous! I plan to make this one at some point just based on Luisa and Deb’s enthusiasm for it.

Even though I also find pastry a tempermental foodstuff. Actually my theory is that there’s a piecrust and pastry gene and some folks have it, and some just don’t. (I don’t.) But sometimes you just have to try and fight destiny.

• 4 FireDog // Nov 25, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Now that is one beautiful tart! Gorgeous! I know it tasted as good as it looks.

Remind me next year to buy you a 20 foot blowup pumpkin for your yard….

• 5 fluffernutter // Nov 26, 2007 at 10:44 am

I’m with Julie on that “pastry gene” thing and you on that whole “thankless” thing — I’ve got the pastry gene, but hardly anyone eats any of the fancy stuff I bake. They want Rice Krispie Squares and Kroger Pumpkin Pie. Your tart is spectacular — how did it taste?

• 6 Dana // Nov 27, 2007 at 10:26 am

It looks beautiful to me! Everyone is making this tart — I really have to get on board. It looks fantastic! Did people enjoy it??

• 7 claudia // Nov 27, 2007 at 10:27 pm

fluff and dana – it was really good. i liked it very much. cary liked it even more the next few days heated up in the oven!

• 8 jim voorhies // Nov 29, 2007 at 2:18 pm

that looks awesome. i’ll have to try it. wonder why you got all the divots in the crust. did you use parchment or aluminum foil under the weights?

• 9 Alfredo // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:17 am

74eHi guys. Here’s my update. I got into cotcnat with a local investigator and they got hold of Brian. He FINALLY agreed to send me my promised parts. But the biggest joke? This only shows how much more of a moron and fraud Brian is. This is what he sent me:- 2 pots instead of 3 for the electronics- A BLACK body instead of my specific order of Olympic White. Furthermore, the relic work sucks. Just random dings and dents- A set of 1962 Klein pickups. BUT I ordered a Jazzy Cat set- Tortoise pickguard with a WHITE backplate (I ordered neither of these. It was supposed to be Olympic White with Mint Green and NO backplate)- Rusty metal parts that are more like junks instead of relic’ So the verdict is I highly doubt any decent guitars are going to come out. The dude has no tracking of his own orders and he exercises his mouth of excuses more than actually building anything. Imagine it took me another 2 months just trying to come up with ways to engage local law enforcement to put pressure on this guy. Brian did not return me any emails until that local investigator talked to him. I saw that FB page too. You can’t see anything now. But earlier this year, Brian still had the time to post stuff on his FB, especially on Joe Bonamassa’s page about how much he adores him. Basically, he has time to roam around FB instead of worrying about his long line of backlogged orders. My thought is that if possible, someone from the US should really file a lawsuit against him. I would have done it if I was from the US. I find it hard to have sympathy with whatever health issues he’s facing (or whether he really has them or not, that’s another possibility). Many people are affected in this with hundreds of dollars lost.